The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"An established band releasing a self-titled album is usually a really, really bad sign."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:51 pm 
Tourist

First maybe this should go in the frogman area but since it’s just a costume I felt this was a better place.

I have been working on a vintage divers helmet (made of foam) for a Halloween costume. I still have some painting to do on the helmet. Currently I have it primed in gray and I need to do some bondo or some more priming coats to get rid of some imperfections and them paint it.

What I am looking for is to see if anyone has a suggestion on something to simulate a dry suite with a vintage look and feel. I’m looking to keep cost down since it would just be a costume.

Here is the helmet as of now.

Any suggestions would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:33 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Most of the dive dress will be covered with weight plates. The ones I have seen are rubberized canvas. I'd stitch something like a bifurcated chemise out of a canvas drop cloth (machine washed with hot water and bleach.) Capture the draw under the helmet mantel. The legs will be bound with spats so the diver doesn't float to the surface inverted. (Most drysuit divers use ankle weights today to balance, but they don't have a heavy helmet wanting to be a keel.)

Poo Poo doats and pee pee doats and dingus lamzy divey. I'm standing here with my dork in my hand!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 pm 
Fellow Moai

Unbleached cotton “duck” canvas from an art store looks a lot like what those dive suits look like new.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:30 am 
Tourist

foredeckape wrote:
Most of the dive dress will be covered with weight plates. The ones I have seen are rubberized canvas. I'd stitch something like a bifurcated chemise out of a canvas drop cloth (machine washed with hot water and bleach.) Capture the draw under the helmet mantel. The legs will be bound with spats so the diver doesn't float to the surface inverted. (Most drysuit divers use ankle weights today to balance, but they don't have a heavy helmet wanting to be a keel.)

Poo Poo doats and pee pee doats and dingus lamzy divey. I'm standing here with my dork in my hand!

Thank you!

Good information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 am 
Tourist

thekazz wrote:
Unbleached cotton “duck” canvas from an art store looks a lot like what those dive suits look like new.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:59 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Here's a version I did for Hulaween 2009:
ImageHulaween 2009 by Experiment 33, on Flickr
I used a mechanic's jumpsuit I must have found at uniform supply store, or army navy. The weight belt was just a belt with cardboard boxes spray painted. Probably not perfectly accurate, but it got the point across. I won the costume contest at the Mai Kai. My helmet was paper mache. LuRu was the Island Queen Colada (it's a non-alcoholic drink on the Mai Kai menu). She took 3rd, but only because they didn't think it was cool to give us both 1st and 2nd place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:29 pm 
Tourist

Thank you.

This visual really helps me. I may have a mechanics jumpsuit from my car days. So this would be perfect. I appreciate you sharing.

Thank you

Ron @ Mātātuhi Arts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk