The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"And then there's me - practically perfect in every way."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 am 
Tourist

To anyone in the north Georgia area:

Made a trip to R.E.M. town tonight to visit a place that I suspect not many of you have heard about. Yes, there's Trader Vic's and S.O.S. But what about OTP? And I mean, waaaaay OTP?

For anyone willing to make the trip to the land of Shiny Happy People, the Tree That Owns Itself, the Double-Barrelled Cannon and Widespread Panic, I submit for your consideration Seabear Oyster Bar.

Located in a building that once housed a Coke bottling plant but is now a charming mixed-use gem just outside the boundaries of downtown ATH, Seabear has a dedicated Tiki Drinks menu and ample free parking. They tell me Tiki Tuesday is the time to come. The Mai Tai features housemade ORGEAT and actual drink umbrellas.

In addition to the titular oysters, the menu also features a variety of seafood and beach-themed fare, including that scourge of the mortgage industry, avocado toast. For those familiar with The National, Empire State South and Five and Ten, this is in the same milieu, but with oysters and Tiki.

Seabear's take on tiki is decidedly ironic and somewhat fratty, but when in Redneck Greece, amirite? So don't expect a fully sincere Tiki experience and you'll be fine. There is a large selection of rums, cachaça, wines and for the adventurous, Aquavit. There is real absinthe service, with the sugar cube and a dedicated cold water tap and everything. And of course brandy; and those inexplicably popular IPAs and bourbons, if you absolutely must. :roll:

The full bar is amazing here. They have vegetarian options and take credit cards; they are open 15:00 to 0:00 everyday except holidays, and are well worth the trip. Especially if you are going to spend a day taking in the jouissance of this town, there are many worse ways to end a day in Dawg Nation than a trip to Seabear.

Seeing as I'm a newbie to these forums, if someone would kindly explain how to post pictures (do they have to be publicly available?), I would gladly oblige.

Also, and I mean no offense to my gold and white-wearing friends who attended the North Avenue Trade School, but: GO DAWGS!

M

I was comfortably numb
-Galantis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:08 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Them not so dry bones!
Great write-up! I have a cousin who lives just a stones throw from the Creature Comforts brewery, so we always end up going there when I visit. Next time, I'll have to convince him to go to Seabear!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:02 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Hit it on the one.
I LOVE the whole idea of the full-on absinthe experience. I'd be all over the water containers, the spoons, the entire works.

EXCEPT...........................................

I LOATHE licorice. :barf:

ImageImageImageImageImage

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” —Dean Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:51 am 
Fellow Moai

I like everything about Spam--except the taste of it . . .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:28 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Them not so dry bones!
Staredge wrote:
I LOVE the whole idea of the full-on absinthe experience. I'd be all over the water containers, the spoons, the entire works.

EXCEPT...........................................

I LOATHE licorice. :barf:

I said the same thing, until I tried it. Made me a believer REAL quick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Field trips are always fun, we will have to consider this. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Mai hopohopo
Hmmmmm, might be time for a Tongariki road trip/outing? There are two great mid-century antique stores in Athens the Starlight Showroom https://www.instagram.com/starliteshowroom/ and Vic's Vintage http://www.vicsvintage.com/ that we visit somewhat regularly. Now that we know about Seabear, we may just have to make that a pit stop on our Athens runs too!