The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You have strong opinions and like to drink."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
A few fifths of rye on hand would be nice too. :thumbsup:

I do like some bourbons, but I admit to preferring rye as well.

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ohanu now!
gooneybird wrote:
We definitely need to have a little Bourbon drankin' during Ohana. A small break from the rum. I'll be packing a flask, fo sho.

I got mine, but a friend filled it with Crown Royal Black for my birthday. Would anyone like some Crown Royal Black? You are more than welcome to it!

I am absolutely up for a bourbon tour. I need to visit my cask at Maker's Mark anyway!

E33 - I bought a bottle of the Wild Turkey American Honey when it was first introduced. At that time I had a wicked sore throat and it made for some comforting sipping. I tried a modified Navy Grog recipe with the Wild Turkey American Honey:
1 1/2 shots of Wild Turkey American Honey
1/4 shot fresh lime juice
2 shots of mineral water
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
1 spoon of runny honey

I added the spoon of honey after actually making the drink, when I decided I wanted a more pronounced honey flavor. It wasn't necessary, that was just a preference.

...by the way, there is now a Jack Daniels Honey, too

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ohanu now!
I have to say that I am also a big fan of the newly introduced Maker's 46. If you have not trried it yet, give it a taste test. Granted, I have dominant sweet taste buds, but I feel that this is a very nice sipping bourbon.

From www.drinkspirits.com:
Maker’s 46 (94 proof) – More yellow brown / amber in color than Maker’s Mark, Maker’s 46 looks different in the glass. The nose is infinitely more complex with notes of butterscotch, vanilla bean, baked apple, bran cereal and huge maple syrup. The entry is very smooth with a fantastic mouth feel. The taste is huge cinnamon with confectioner’s sugar, bran cereal, maple and undertones of caramel, cardboard, and sweet oak. The finish is longer and much sweeter than Maker’s Mark and cleans up leaving your mouth very cool. While Maker’s 46 is unique, it still has parity of taste with Maker’s Mark as they’ve retained many of the qualities that have made Maker’s Mark so successful. Maker’s 46 builds on the excellent foundation of Maker’s Mark and represents a big step forward. We absolutely enjoyed Maker’s 46 even more than Maker’s Mark and expect it to do great things in the marketplace.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
KukuAhu wrote:
A few fifths of rye on hand would be nice too. :thumbsup:

I do like some bourbons, but I admit to preferring rye as well.

Ahu, if you haven't tried it yet, stop at every liquor store between here and Lake George and find some Bulliet Rye. The price quality ratio is just right. Down here it runs about $30 and it's worth that over Beam Rye at $20, but I can't quite go $40-$50 on some of the other rye's.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 am 
Avai Pukao

Vince Martini wrote:
Granted, I have dominant sweet taste buds

You're not kidding if you added honey to the honey bourbon in your modified navy grog.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 am 
Avai Pukao

I mentioned caskers.com in the rum thread, but they're offering a couple of intriguing bourbons right now and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of them:

Quote:
Breckenridge Bourbon

With an unusually high rye content, this bourbon won one of just three gold medals awarded at the 2011 International Wine and Spirits Competition, and scored 96 points — 1 more than Pappy Van Winkle's 23 year old bourbon — at the Ultimate Spirits Challenge in New York.

$48

Probably nobody has had a chance to try High West American Prairie Reserve. It's a pre-release special, $60 with free shipping.

Scanning back through this thread there was mention of 4 roses single barrel. They've got it for $45.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:15 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Needs more rum.
Nice to see this thread bumped. Since working at the mega-liquor-store, my palate for bourbon has been expanded exponentially, given all the samples and tastings bestowed upon me by the reps.

That Breckenridge is pretty good, but from what I understand, they're only just now starting to use their own barrels in it. As such a young company, they were buying barrels from another producer (word is that it's Four Roses) and blending it up in Breck. With bourbon, this is totally legit, because so much of what makes bourbon great is the art of blending. I think they're still buying older stock to blend with, but now it's being blended with their own young barrels. Good stuff.
Even better stuff, though, from Colorado is the CO Straight Bourbon from Peach St Distillers in Palisade. It's a rich and full whiskey of cereal notes, caramel, and juicy fruit. Fkkn DELICIOUS.

I've tasted so much high end stuff, that a few months back I decided to take a tour of the bottom shelf. I gotta say, too, that the old adage about "there is no such thing as a bad bourbon" has pretty much turned out spot-on. While not all great, there haven't been any so far that I'd turn my nose up at. Maybe Evan, which I found kind of flabby and lifeless, but would still drink in a pinch. Ezra was good, but a little too much on the rye spice for me (I love ryes, but I like my bourbons breakfast cerealy). Old Grand Dad is rich and full with that good old Beam corn. Rebel Yell is a suitable cheap alternative to the heavily wheated Maker's. Benchmark 8 could be one of the finest "bourbon and coke" bourbons I've ever had.
The winners so far, though, have been the Old Charters. Not so much the 8, but the 10 is a veritable symphony of corn and honey. It's easily my favorite bottom shelfer so far, and I probably drink way too much of it. And, good lord, the 101... Holy smokin' monkeys that shit is GOOD. Tons of corn and honey with that 101 whollop... DAMN. We're talking a $16 bottle here that the Whiskey Bible gives 95.5 points. Find it and drink it... you will NOT be disappointed.

As for the Van Winkle talk... well... in the bidness, this has really become a big joke. People who have read about it in magazines and heard about it and who don't even like bourbon, maybe, are pushing this stuff into the realm of the Holy Grail. We get calls for it almost every day... and no, wed don't have any.
BUT... we do have Weller bourbons. And... the secret is... see... Weller and Van Winkle are from the same Buffalo Trace rick house... same mash bill, same water, same barrels... just different parts of the rick house. If you see Weller 12 yr on the shelf... for all intents and purposes... that IS the Winkle 12. And the same goes for the Weller Antique 107 Proof and the Winkle 10 Yr Barrel Proof. These whiskies are all taken from the same lot of barrels, it's just that the Winkles are taken from the better of the bunch.
That being said, I have customers who have both the Wellers and the Winkles, and have had them side by side and say the only difference they see is the the finish is more elegant on the Winkles. And that's fine, and that's why the Winkles are so coveted by the collectors. BUT... for half the price, give the Wellers a shot and enjoy the hell out of them... they're damn good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:55 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Chango wrote:
(....but I like my bourbons breakfast cerealy).

I'm not much of a Burbon fan so I've never tried it on breakfast cereal. Does it go with Fiber One? Or would Quaker Oats be a better choice?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:20 pm 
Nounou Moai

HONEYCOMB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:39 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Meat pies are swell.
I dig the Weller, too.
The Bourbon club I'm in (the Bourbon Trust) is buying 2 more barrels. This time we're getting the Weller Special Reserve 90 and the Weller Antique 107. Looking forward to the tasting (hopefully some time this month). If it's anything like the Four Roses barrel buying experience, we're in for a good time.

I had a bottle of Elijah Craig 20 Yr this weekend. Really tasty - but for the price ($130), I'd still rather have the EC18 available. I figured I should try it out since the bottling was so limited (1,300 bottles). I need to take a roadtrip soon and see if I can score a few bottles of the 18 YR before it disappears completely. I talked to a distributor last week, and he told me where a few bottles were sitting on the shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Free Rum for Sully!
We have a bunch of bourbons out in the upper left corner of the country.

My favorite, Temperance Trader, while not made here, is made specially for one of our best craft distillers - http://www.bullrundistillery.com/Temperance-Trader.html
Our friends who make Below Deck Rum (formerly Deco Rum) also make Burnside Bourbon which is respectable. http://www.eastsidedistilling.com/our-s ... e-bourbon/
and right now, we're enjoying Oregon Spirit Bourbon http://oregonspiritdistillers.com/spirits/

all are good. :)

..sb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 am 
Nounou Moai

At work today, we sorted through samples and picked a single barrel of Evan Williams for the holidaze.
That Evan single barrel is damn good as it is, but I think the barrel we picked trumps it.
Delicious corn and rye on the nose with lots and lots of full flavor on the palate.
I can't wait to get a bottle.

We also decided to choose an Elijah Craig 12 single barrel.
Samples should arrive in the next couple of weeks.
:drool:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Cuttlefish
Sweet!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:40 pm 
Nounou Moai

The distributor didn't steer me wrong...Elijah Craig 18yr secured. And a bottle of the old charter 10, Chango.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 am 
Nounou Moai

That Charter 10 is a sweetheart, for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Nounou Moai

Me, Mo and my neighbor Shawn when to the first ever Nashville Whiskey Festival yesterday (Saturday - 9/22). It was awesome. Not only did we get to drink a lot of great bourbons, we got to chat with Fred Noe from Jim Beam and Jimmy Russell from Wild Turkey, and watch a great whiskey cocktail seminar. Unlike a lot of festivals that are just volunteers pouring drinks, this one was mostly staffed by reps (if not the master distillers themselves), so everyone really knew their stuff. Looking forward to next year already.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 am 
Nounou Moai

Excellent work!

So, we got our Elijah samples and whittled it down to two to choose from.
I really, really, REALLY liked the mellower one, with notes of black tea and honey... but, a single barrel for the store should be a really unique barrel. We wound up going with the one that was like regular Elijah 12, but on steroids. The oak on this barrel was phenomenal, and the color was twice as dark as any of the others.

My current cheapie: Old Crow Reserve.
Damn... for 20 bucks a handle and 86 proof?
I think I'm in love.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:44 pm 
Nounou Moai

We did our W.L. Weller tasting at Buffalo Trace on Thursday. We sampled 8 barrels and chose two (one will be bottled at 90 proof, the other at 107 proof). A much different experience than our Four Roses visit, but still a really good time. We got to hang out with Harlen Wheatley who was really nice and surprisingly young for a master distiller -- only 43.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Free Rum for Sully!
not bourbon, but Straight Malt Whiskey, House Spirits is doing a special release of a limited edition batch of a well regarded product they make, "Westward".
https://www.facebook.com/housespiritsdistillery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:37 am 
Nounou Moai

There's some good straight malts coming out of American distilleries... most notably St. George... their XXX is the fkkng bomb.

Nice work on the Weller tour, gooneybird... looks like a whole hell of a lot of good times.

Our single barrels are in... well... 3 of them anyways. We did a tasting yesterday of the Evan, Elijah, and Willet 9yr. Still waiting on the Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. All three that we have came out beautifully.
The Evan taken down to bottling strength becomes a symphony of corn... and I'm talking fresh raw just pulled out of the field corn, with the husk still on. Add a bit of barrel spice to the corn and you get heaven in a bottle. Delicious.
The Elijah is exactly as I recall it. Big, brash, and bold with everything you want from Elijah... but just "more".
The Willet... ye gods... the Willet... 124 proof but you'd never know it. Brown sugar and caramel and oak and floral and tea and gawd it just goes on and on and on. Fkkn fabulous.

Updates next week when we get our Trace barrels in.

And, not spam, but just a heads up... if any of these sound good to ya'll, we do ship out of state.

:drunk:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 am 
Avai Pukao

Who's in on a barrel of FOM Bourbon, where we create the recipe?
http://mrdistilling.com/frame/products_mywhiskey.shtml
Quote:
We will custom make a 30 gallon barrel of whiskey for you. You pick the grain bill, the yeast, the barrel, the age and the proof. You even get to name it! When it's done, you get all the whiskey in the barrel and the empty barrel to display proudly.

It's a fairly involved process. The cost is $6,000 per barrel. $3,000 is payable to the distillery to start the project. The second $3,000 will be paid to a licensed retailer who will take delivery of your stock once the project is finished. At 80 proof, your barrel should produce about 160 bottles of finished whiskey. That works out to be about $38 per bottle.

I'm in for a dozen bottles, maybe more.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Cuttlefish
E33 wrote:
http://mrdistilling.com/frame/products_mywhiskey.shtml
Quote:
We will custom make a 30 gallon barrel of whiskey for you. You pick the grain bill, the yeast, the barrel, the age and the proof. You even get to name it! When it's done, you get all the whiskey in the barrel and the empty barrel to display proudly.

It's a fairly involved process. The cost is $6,000 per barrel. $3,000 is payable to the distillery to start the project. The second $3,000 will be paid to a licensed retailer who will take delivery of your stock once the project is finished. At 80 proof, your barrel should produce about 160 bottles of finished whiskey. That works out to be about $38 per bottle.

I'm in for a dozen bottles, maybe more.

Count me in.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
E33 wrote:

Hell yeah! And I don't even really drink bourbon. :pieface:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:01 am 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
don't we already have a FOM barrel of rum or rye resting at Ryan & Wood?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Queequeg over proof rum will be available to fellows at some event in 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next