The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"I think my intent was to give them heart disease. Human blood is so fatty."


Homepage Homepage    Our Charities Our Charity    Our Supporters Our Supporters    Regional Chapters Our Local Chapters  News News    GalleryGallery    Calendar Events   

Calendar FOM Calendar    Gallery Event Galleries    Join Our Mailing List Join Our Mailing List 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm 
Offline
Matato'a
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 9677
Location: Gumbo Limbo Chapter!
Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
I know there was a conversation about the new TVIB&G in here somewhere, but I can't find it so I am going to start a new post and hope that you guys take pity on me and my last couple of brain cells and have the good graces not to point out the certainly obvious thread where the original discussion started.....Anyways, Trader Vic's:

Trader Vic's has recently started a pilot project for a Franchise idea called Trader Vic's Island Bar & Grill. And however these things get figured out in situations like this, Sarasota Florida was chosen as ground-zero. That turned out to be kind of handy since we have a Fellow Moai who happens to live in Sarasota. Even handier that he likes the occasional rum-based cocktail. Handier still he happens to have a really nice camera. Keep that camera bit in mind, it will come in handy later in this discussion.

As the Florida Ohana are want to do from time to time we all sent up smoke signals for a get together and organized a Carving Jam (do your own search, I don't have enough brian power to tell this story AND connect all the little bits of the conversation). Spent the day making sawdust, spent the evening making full cocktails become empty cocktails. It's a lot of fun!

Where was I heading? Oh yeah, Trader Vic's....

The place is freaking AWESOME! And even all caps doesn't quite get the point across that I am really jealous I don't have one closer. I really hope this idea works and they start opening more. Starting with somewhere closer to me.

The outside is unassuming because the location was a restaurant previously. A nice sign and some tiki torches are the only clues of what lies inside. Inside, it looks great! It is not as visually dense as your Father's (or Grandfather's) Trader Vic's, but this place isn't your father's trader Vic's. Its better.

It's better because the food is good. Well, the appetizers are good because that is all we had. I am figuring that if the pu-pu's are this good, then dinner should be at least as good. And if dinner is at least as good, then it should get very high marks indeed. And I can highly recommend the Beef Chocho. Tender Beef, yummy sauce, and a bit pot of fire. Fabulous!

And since this crowd is, at least generally, more interested in the bar let me say again AWESOME! Started with a Mai Tai because its Trader Vic's and you really shouldn't do it any other way. 1944 style, fresh lime, quality rum, quality assembly, quality presentation. I hate to say this, but their Mai Tai was better than the ones I make at home. In my own defense, I am not a Trader Vic's so in theory mine will always be only imitations of the 'real thing.'

Remember when I mentioned cameras? Well, I didn't charge mine before we left so I didn't get any pictures. Some of the others who were in our group, however, managed to get lots of pictures so I am going to stop here and let them share.

Oh, and to make this post somehow official, here is the link to the joint: http://tvislandbarandgrill.com/

_________________
And then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:29 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 3037
Location: Land of the Queequeg (Mass.)
Not jealous at all. I have a couple of Traders to choose from--Atlanta and Chicago. :evil:

Glad they're doing something right. After that Las Vegas mess, I had lost all hope.

_________________
To the NSA monkey monitoring this: You're ugly, no one likes you and you will die alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:30 pm
Posts: 8031
Location: Velveteen Lounge, NY
Personal Statement: Maybe a little one..
I always thought it sounded great and this confirms my hopes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope they'll open one somewhere near us soon!

_________________
"Crappy mother? I'm not gonna stand here without a drink and listen to this!"



ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:29 am 
Offline
Chapter Tohunga
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 6125
Location: 40:40:11N 73:56:38W
Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Wait a minute....this place doesn't sound very tiki......

_________________
I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:09 pm
Posts: 3125
Location: Nashua, NH
We have just about every chain restaurant you can imagine in Nashua, NH. So I'm thinking (hoping, praying) that we're on their short list for locations!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am 
Offline
Matato'a
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 9677
Location: Gumbo Limbo Chapter!
Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
leisure master wrote:
Wait a minute....this place doesn't sound very tiki......


From the outside you would never know what tiki magic is hidden within.

The first thing you see when walking in, well the second thing really. The first thing you see is the smiling face of your hostess. The second thing you see is a nice root-ball-head tiki that is just shy of 6 feet tall. And behind those two people/things you see a ceiling covered in tapa and/or thatch, hanging flotsam and jetsam, those cool square Chinese tiles, and then your eyes just kind of settle back on the smiling face of your hostess who is waiting patiently for your answer would you like to sit inside or outside.

All that 'stuff' is no where as densely packed as 'traditional' Trader Vic's, but there is more than enough to be a feast for the senses.

_________________
And then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 am 
Offline
Chapter Tohunga
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 6125
Location: 40:40:11N 73:56:38W
Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Chip and Andy wrote:
leisure master wrote:
Wait a minute....this place doesn't sound very tiki......


From the outside you would never know what tiki magic is hidden within.

The first thing you see when walking in, well the second thing really. The first thing you see is the smiling face of your hostess. The second thing you see is a nice root-ball-head tiki that is just shy of 6 feet tall. And behind those two people/things you see a ceiling covered in tapa and/or thatch, hanging flotsam and jetsam, those cool square Chinese tiles, and then your eyes just kind of settle back on the smiling face of your hostess who is waiting patiently for your answer would you like to sit inside or outside.

All that 'stuff' is no where as densely packed as 'traditional' Trader Vic's, but there is more than enough to be a feast for the senses.

Humbug! This doesn't sound very dark and mysterious at all!

You're doing nothing but cheapening tiki, you stupid dumbhead tiki-ruin-ers!!

_________________
I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 am 
Offline
Matato'a
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 9677
Location: Gumbo Limbo Chapter!
Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
leisure master wrote:
Humbug! This doesn't sound very dark and mysterious at all!

You're doing nothing but cheapening tiki, you stupid dumbhead tiki-ruin-ers!!


You, sir, are sullying my good name! {smacks Leisure Master with a pair of white gloves} I challenge you to a duel!

Tiki Torches at dawn tomorrow! Choose your Second wisely.





:lol:

_________________
And then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:56 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Posts: 10014
Location: Tungane: Sacramento, CA
Personal Statement: Aloooooha!
Chip and Andy wrote:
leisure master wrote:
Humbug! This doesn't sound very dark and mysterious at all!

You're doing nothing but cheapening tiki, you stupid dumbhead tiki-ruin-ers!!


You, sir, are sullying my good name! {smacks Leisure Master with a pair of white gloves} I challenge you to a duel!

Tiki Torches at dawn tomorrow! Choose your Second wisely.





:lol:


I second that!

_________________
ImageImageImage

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm 
Offline
Hoa Timo
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:33 pm
Posts: 1999
Location: SoFlo
Always a bit slow on the uptake... here are a few pics from Trader Vics that I took the previous time I was at Trader Vics.
I second that the food and drink are good -plus they have the classy mouthwash dispenser in the bathroom. Sure no Tina, but pretty nice.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Certainly not very dark and mysterious and there are some strange plastic flora and flauna strewn about. It's more like a Tiki /Caribbean mix - which suits me just fine.

_________________
tortugatileworks.com
facebook

I'll have you know I'm a five star astranauticatrix!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Posts: 10014
Location: Tungane: Sacramento, CA
Personal Statement: Aloooooha!
Nein! Nein! Nein!
Ver ist der damn zolid golt Vitco?

Zis ist not tiki if it has no Vitco!
As I clearly stated on page 123 of Tiki Modern, No Witco = Epic Tiki Fail!

_________________
ImageImageImage

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm 
Online
Matu'u
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 13407
Location: Queequeg Chapter (NH)
Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
rugbymatt wrote:
Nein! Nein! Nein!

So I take it you'll be serving as leisure master's second in the duel then.

-Rev

_________________
To taua na Moai!

Image


Last edited by rev_thumper on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:43 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Posts: 10014
Location: Tungane: Sacramento, CA
Personal Statement: Aloooooha!
rev_thumper wrote:
rugbymatt wrote:
Nein! Nein! Nein!

So I take it you'll be serving at leisure master's second in the duel then.

-Rev


If you survive I will carve a pineapple in your forehead with my Bowie knife!

_________________
ImageImageImage

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm 
Online
Matu'u
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 13407
Location: Queequeg Chapter (NH)
Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
rugbymatt wrote:
If you survive I will carve a pineapple in your forehead with my Bowie knife!

If I survive? Don't you mean if you survive?

-Rev

_________________
To taua na Moai!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 pm 
Offline
Chapter Tohunga
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 6125
Location: 40:40:11N 73:56:38W
Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Chip and Andy wrote:
Tiki Torches at dawn tomorrow!

OK, I got mine...
Image

_________________
I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm 
Offline
Matato'a
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 9677
Location: Gumbo Limbo Chapter!
Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
leisure master wrote:
Chip and Andy wrote:
Tiki Torches at dawn tomorrow!

OK, I got mine...


I thought that model was discontinued. Wasn't there something about the amount of soot it generated during use that upset the housewives.....

_________________
And then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:42 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Posts: 10014
Location: Tungane: Sacramento, CA
Personal Statement: Aloooooha!
rev_thumper wrote:
rugbymatt wrote:
If you survive I will carve a pineapple in your forehead with my Bowie knife!

If I survive? Don't you mean if you survive?

-Rev


That tears it! Not only will you get the pineapple scar but I will permanently glue goof teeth to your gums (after I bust out your regular teeth).

Or....

We could get a couple mai tais, bring some weenies for roasting, sit back, and watch Joe and Chip turn each other into charcoal.

_________________
ImageImageImage

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm 
Offline
Lunamaka'ainana Kere
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:20 am
Posts: 9648
Location: Red Palms chapter
Personal Statement: Erst mach' dein' Sach dan
rugbymatt wrote:
rev_thumper wrote:
rugbymatt wrote:
If you survive I will carve a pineapple in your forehead with my Bowie knife!

If I survive? Don't you mean if you survive?

-Rev


That tears it! Not only will you get the pineapple scar but I will permanently glue goof teeth to your gums (after I bust out your regular teeth).

Or....

We could get a couple mai tais, bring some weenies for roasting, sit back, and watch Joe and Chip turn each other into charcoal.


"weenies for roasting" :lol: :lol:
Careful Joe and Chip, don't want to burn your weenies! :shock:

_________________
ImageImageImage
Image
"Like" Maple Tree Lane on Face Book.Help me break 100 likes!Red Palms


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tiki Trev and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr