The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Doug is the FOM version of Dr. Manhattan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm 
Fellow Moai

It's a straight forward recipe and yet the variations I've had out there can be pretty disappointing. :barf:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

I am going to disagree. Most decent cocktail bars can make and will make a decent mai tai. Tiki is trending hard and orgeat has become a very common cocktail ingredient in non-tiki beverages. I can go in 15 non-tiki cocktail bars in Indianapolis and find a trader vic mai tai.

I tend bar and have lots of industry customers and other bar tenders come in and frequently ask what orgeat we use, etc etc.

Just don't go in a sports bar or chain and expect too much. You have to be reasonable with expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: God Bless Trader Vic
AlohaEric wrote:
I am going to disagree. Most decent cocktail bars can make and will make a decent mai tai. Tiki is trending hard and orgeat has become a very common cocktail ingredient in non-tiki beverages. I can go in 15 non-tiki cocktail bars in Indianapolis and find a trader vic mai tai.

Sounds like Indianapolis must have a thriving/growing craft cocktail scene, which is great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:50 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
I think that experience will vary widely depending on what city you happen to be wandering around in but certainly more places will actual know what orgeat is and may even have it these days.

Your average bar or Chinese restaurant? Not so much. The menu may say Mai-Tai but it'll be a random assortment of rum and juice in the glass. Which might taste fine in the end.

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm 
Fellow Moai

I agree with Alice. Most of us are fortunate enough to have a few quality local bars/bartenders. We have an embarrassment of them in the DC area--sorry, just the facts, Ma'am. :D And we have a number of places that make excellent Mai Tais--both the Trader Vic & Don's versions.

But if interested folks made up some 44 recipe cards ('cuz it's an easy mix) & took them to bartenders they know take pride in their craft--and either supplied or told them where to get/how to make decent orgeat--I bet their Mai Tai scenes could be significantly improved.

Good bartenders get bored making the same old cocktails--even when they're making high-quality ones & charging $15 for them. And a place doesn't have to embrace tiki in the least to be open to adding another popular cocktail to their menu--especially if no place else is offering it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 am 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
Any bar that does good craft cocktails, probably can do a proper Mai Tai. Many of the craft cocktail joints near Atlanta are warming up to tiki drinks. Bourbon and whiskey drinks, are still usually their go-to spirits, outside of the weird Italian spirits that I have to google to even know what they are. The craft cocktail scene is starting to appreciate rum as a good spirit (finally).

Typically the bad Mai Tais, the ones based on that awful Red Lobster recipe (sorry if you like it!), are found at chain restaurants, some Chinese restaurants, and tropical (usually non-tiki) themed joints. If I see that a Mai Tai is made with orange juice, pineapple juice, coconut rum, amaretto, or grenadine, I know it's going to not be what I want, unless I'm in the mood for a sugar-juice bomb.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:34 am 
Fellow Moai

I'm glad to report that our new tiki bar in Montreal is aiming in the right direction when it comes to making a proper mai tai. They make their own orgeat and, it general, it's well balanced. I say "in general" because they are still struggling with consistency... can't be perfect, right? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:28 pm 
Hoa Manu

Personal Statement: 2 seconds?!?!?!?
A local restaurant/bar makes a fantastic variation called a Rye Tai. I like it better than their Mai Tai.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm 
Fellow Moai

Oh yes, I love a good rye tai!
Had my first at Tonga Hut LA and I now keep making some at home ..mmm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:46 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Life: too short for beige
I need to try a RyeTai now...