The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"The Polyphonic Spree are like the Trans Siberian Orchestra...only ALL THE TIME."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aloha Architiki!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:25 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Greetings from south of the border. Pull up a crate and tell us a bit about yourself.

-Rev

Post subject: Re: Aloha Architiki!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:20 pm 
Fellow Moai

Aloha!

City of birth/residence: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

I come to my fascination of Polynesian Pop/Tiki via a love of midcentury modern architecture. In Toronto, we are blessed with buildings designed by Mies van der Rohe (his tallest project ever, the TD Centre, and also his last before he died), I.M. Pei, Edward Durrell Stone (of Skidmore Owings Merrill), Santiago Calatrava and our own Canadian Modernists such as Eberhard Zeidler and Raymond Moriyama. Anyhow, I can remember being fascinated by this stuff even as a little boy; while other kids were collecting hockey cards, I was charting the progress of the CN Tower going up in 1974 - 75 and eagerly awaiting opening day in '76 (at 1,815 feet, it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world until 2007). So I was a strange kid.

In the mid- to late-80s while in high school, I came back to this love of architecture via an early appreciation of "Googie" styles. By the late 80s, I was collecting the furniture. Anything swoopy and Jetsons or atomic and I was all over it like white on rice! As I said in my email response to "Aloha John in Montreal", I lived briefly in Montreal (1996 - 1999) working as a sound engineer at News/Talk radio station CJAD and got to know John while he was employed at the Montreal Opera. We both discovered we had a love of New Wave music, old jazz and Sinatra, and 1950s/60s architecture and culture. He introduced me to the Polynesian aspect of Googie stuff and we started the MTAS with a meeting at the Jardin Tiki (Tiki Garden, in English) in 1998 (I think). As a budding writer, it was a good outlet for me. I moved back to Toronto to work at News/Talk 1010 CFRB and, fantastically, within a few years had met my future wife (also a nut for MCM furniture, in fact she is about to take over an existing store here in Toronto, "Ethel" that sells it) and, shortly after that, I was lucky enough to get my own architecture column in The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate) where I get to write, weekly, about my fascination with architecture. How cool is that???

I've been writing it for over 5 years now and I've learned more about that postwar optimistic life and the architecture it created (including leisure architecture like drive-ins, tiki bars, motels and other resort stuff) than books could ever teach.

My wife, Shauntelle, and I have a bar (mildly tiki-fied, but not as crazy-cool as some of you!) in the walkout basement of our 1961 backsplit home (we have a houseblog, see http://www.atomicplayhouse.blogspot.com) in suburban Toronto where we try to give many offerings to the tiki-gods while imbibing a few ourselves. Our furniture is of the period but not museum-perfect, as we feel that you have to live with this stuff and use it as it was intended. We had a 1962 Mercury Monterey up until last year...hoping to get another vintage car soon.

Ohana was our first tiki-themed event and we LOVED every minute of it, despite having to drive 5 hours to meet up with our Montreal friends, then south another 3 to Lake George. We will definitely be there next year.

When I wrote my post about John, I wasn't suggesting he just become a member of the FOM, I was thinking he should start an official Canadian chapter! He's got the cred, if you ask me. But I know nothing of the rules and I certainly don't want to volunteer him for anything. He is his own man...

Nice to meet all of you on this board and hope to get to know you all better over the coming months.

Cheers,

DLeB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:37 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: putting on the ritz
Aloha and welcome Architiki!

I have some really good friends that live in the greater Toronto metro area. One older fellow, Jimmy McCann used to work for the Globe. We used to get together for weekends when the rugby internationals were in town.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:44 pm 
Tourist

Hah! Architiki... fancy meeting you here!

Aloha Dave, and let me say what an absolute pleasure it was for us to have you and Shauntelle as our traveling companions to Lake George... you didn't even complain too much about my music selections for the drive down. That alone makes you an ideal road trip partner...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:44 pm 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

ALOHA!!!!!!!!!

Happy to have another from up North around these parts :thumbsup:

Glad that you had such a good time at OHANA & we're happy to have been your "first" ;)

You've got lots in common with many of us here with the interest in poly pop, mid-century architecture & design.

Pull up a maitai & stay a while!

ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 pm 
Honui Moai

Welcome to The Port!

The NSA thanks you for your feedback. Please, carry on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 pm 
Matu'u

Architiki wrote:
But I know nothing of the rules

The very short version is that individuals choose to step on the path to membership if they wish to become Fellow Moai. It takes a group of Fellow Moai to charter a chapter.

-Rev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:24 pm 
Fellow Moai

Gotcha, rev thumper.

I'll be posting here a little, I think. And, if I can convince John, we may ask to walk the path with the aim of creating a North-of-the-boarder chapter one day in the future. Who knows?

In the meantime, I'll promise to post a couple of drink recipes I've created in the next few days. One is my version of the Mai-tini, the other, well, it's still being tweaked but it's pretty cool. It came to me about 3 days after Ohana while waking up in the morning. I call it the "Smoking Monkey with a Fez"!

Mahalo,

DLeB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:34 pm 
Matu'u

Architiki wrote:
In the meantime, I'll promise to post a couple of drink recipes I've created in the next few days. One is my version of the Mai-tini, the other, well, it's still being tweaked but it's pretty cool. It came to me about 3 days after Ohana while waking up in the morning. I call it the "Smoking Monkey with a Fez"!

Looking forward to it! Feel free to post it in this thread or the Happy Hour Countdown thread.

-Rev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Aloha and welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:54 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Aloha and welcome Archi - glad to have you aboard and looking forward to hearing about these cocktails soon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:09 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: bunny wielder
Welcome DLeB! Very sorry I could not make it to Ohana to meet you and John, but I'm glad you met a few of us there!

...Kakunyo"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:43 pm 
Matato'a

Aloha and Welcome!

Mid-Mod and Tiki really seem to go hand in hand, probably since they were popular with the 'mainstream' at the same time. And I agree with you and your wife, live with your treasures. Don't let them collect dust on the shelf. Have your Mai Tai in that great mug, serve Velveteen Lounges Fruit Dip in a Vic's bowl. Live it up!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:07 pm 
Fellow Moai

You guys are all so very swell for making me feel so at home here! It's like I was saying when we arrived in Lake George and saw all the vintage barkcloth shirts and dresses and people walking around sipping from tiki mugs: "At last, we are amongst OUR OWN PEOPLE." :D

I'll get those drink recipes (and maybe photos) up before the weekend so you all can try them. I'll take rev thumper's advice and post them in the Happy Hour Countdown Thread.

DLeB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Aloha and Welcome, Architiki!

Sounds like you'll fit right in around these parts. I find myself up in your neck of the woods on occasion for work (Toronto, Hamiliton and Kitchener). Next time I'm up that way, let's meet up for a drink and talk googie!

Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:32 pm 
Honui Moai

Great to have you here Architiki!!!

Toronto, Hamiliton and Kitchener???? Didn't they record "Don't Pull Your Love"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 am 
Fellow Moai

rugbymatt: I think Mr. McCann is before my time, but the name is familiar--was he a sports writer?

Zulumagoo: Depending on where you land in the GTA (for those who don't know, the Greater Toronto Area is huge and has a pop. of approx. 5 - 6 million people, it's the biggest city it Canada) I can reserve a seat for you at my own home bar (still haven't named it yet) or, alternately, I could meet up with you somewhere. But Hamilton is 45 minutes (with no traffic) going west from where I live, and so is Kitchener!

But I can't offer you an actual tiki bar, since Toronto no longer has any holdouts from the day. There was, at one time, both a Trader Vic's here and a place called the Ports of Call, which had many themed rooms like the Last Chance Saloon, a Charles Dickens room, a Caesar-type room and the Bali Hai; if any of you are interested in my theory as to why there are no tiki bars in Toronto while Montreal still has a few, check John in Montreal's website http://www.maitaionline.com. Click the "read" tab and then the "tiki excursions" tab...then the "Tiki-less in Toronto" article.

I can say, however, that despite this or perhaps because of it, ANY tiki traveller that finds him/herself in Toronto will always find us ready to entertain them with tales of local architecture, Googie or otherwise!

DLeB

Last edited by Architiki on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: putting on the ritz
Architiki wrote:
rugbymatt: I think Mr. McCann is before my time, but the name is familiar--was he a sports writer?
I can say, however, that despite this or perhaps because of it, ANY tiki traveller that finds him/herself in Toronto will always find us ready to entertain them with tales of local architecture, Googie or otherwise!

DLeB

Yep, that was Jimmy always globe trotting to rugby tests.

I love the classic architecture in Toronto as well like The Royal York, Maple Leaf Gardens, and the bank building that now house the Hockey Hall of Fame.

My maternal great great grandfather emigrated from Canada back in the 1890's. His family had come over from England and lived out west near London.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: God Bless Trader Vic
Aloha! Architiki!

So glad you made it to Ohana. A truly great introduction to what we are.

Enjoy the port!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
so... what's up AT-68? :fez: :fez:

Life Day makes Turbo cry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:18 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Put coconut rum on snow!
Aloha Dave!

It was absolutely fabulous having you and Shauntelle in our little Lustron home and we really do hope y'all will stop by again! We could always be a pit stop on the way to Lake George! I too dream of a day of a chapter up this way. I think one in Montreal would be great. You know to stoke the fire of who is the better city in Canada. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm 
Fellow Moai

Johnny Dollar wrote:

What's up about what J$?

I'M A DAMN FELLOW MOAI NOW, thanks to your sponsorship!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Architiki wrote:
Johnny Dollar wrote:

What's up about what J$?

I'M A DAMN FELLOW MOAI NOW, thanks to your sponsorship!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:fez: :fez:

Life Day makes Turbo cry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Put coconut rum on snow!
Huzzah! Way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:28 pm 
Fellow Moai

ChavaDevorahRut wrote:
Aloha Dave!

It was absolutely fabulous having you and Shauntelle in our little Lustron home and we really do hope y'all will stop by again! We could always be a pit stop on the way to Lake George! I too dream of a day of a chapter up this way. I think one in Montreal would be great. You know to stoke the fire of who is the better city in Canada. ;)

Don't get me started! I have Toronto City Hall tattooed on my right forearm. Great seeing you guys too! Just make sure you come to Ohana 2018!!!