The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"The Polyphonic Spree are like the Trans Siberian Orchestra...only ALL THE TIME."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:26 pm 
Kere

This is an interesting article on the growing demand for bourbon. Not bad, however the author did include information about Jack Daniels as well which is not a bourbon. So many people make that mistake.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2008/08/13/bourbon_boom.ART_ART_08-13-08_C12_4VB0PBB.html?sid=101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:31 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: I like cereal
Buffalo Trace!!!! My current favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
E33?

Paging E33.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:35 pm 
Nounou Moai

Black Maple Hill... The last word in Bourbon! Seriously..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:01 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
I've switched to Rye Whiskey lately.

-Rev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 pm 
Tetu Avahata

Nicole and I are having a Knob Creek drink as I type...similar to a Manhattan but lighter on the bitters and with some Wild Turkey Honey bourbon mixed in.

Nicole calls it The Bee's Knees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 pm 
Kere

Ron-Tiki wrote:
Buffalo Trace!!!! My current favorite.

That is a good bottle.

My favorite bourbon for sipping is either Booker’s or Pappy Van Winkle

I toured the distillery for Buffalo Trace last year. It was pretty cool. I was by myself and the only tour they were doing that day was a VIP tour for some guys from Russia and Poland that I believe were going to be distributors. So I was just kicking around the store (had to by my son the stuffed buffalo) and started talking to one of the people that was going to be on the tour. Turned out he was the main guy and asked them to include me on the tour. Needless to say it was great and I am sure there were things that I would not have seen on the regular tour. I even got to go in the tasting room with them when they were learning the differences between the various brands they make. When I left they gave me a free bottle. Can you say right place at the right time.

This is a pretty cool event if you have never been there before. I am still kicking around the idea of heading over again this year.

http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 pm 
Honui Moai

My favorite for the last year or so has been Four Roses Single Barrel. Unfortunately, I don't think they sell it anywhere but Kentucky and Japan. The last time I was passing through Lexington, I stopped at the 'Liquor Barn' and bought a Hancock's President's Reserve. It had a 'specially selected for the Liquor Barn' label. That bottle has been pretty delicious and very smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:38 pm 
Nounou Moai

I sell Four Roses in my shop. Word has it that it has been purchased by Japanese interests and restored to it's pre - prohibition / pre - Seagrams glory. I have tasted all of them and while the 80 proof leaves me cold, the others are very very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
leisure master wrote:
E33?

Paging E33.....

Sorry, I was out having Manhattans and am just back at the computer. After all the Navy Grogs and other rum-based room drinks, I had to switch to bourbon rocks for Saturday at the hop. I think I ran them out of Maker's :oops:

Bourbon is pretty popular around here and everyone seems to like Maker's and Knob Creek. It's hard to beat their price to taste and availability ratio. I did a tasting of 4 bourbons and many chimed in on this thread from a while ago: http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?t=3268

Lately, I've been finding Bulleit for a good price and I'm enjoying it, and I've also been drinking 1792 Ridgemont Reserve:

I've had Buffalo Trace and liked it, but don't run into it down here much. Four Roses is on my mental list to find and try, along with Michtner's (sp?).

I never had the chance to do the bourbon festival, but I did a little tour of my own before we left Cincinnati in 2001. We went to Heaven Hill, Maker's Mark, and Jim Beam in one afternoon, plus a fantastic lunch in Bardstown. The set is a little out of order, and includes some random pictures taken around the same time of my tour, but here's the flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/experiment33/sets/72157603638795481/

Here's a couple of highlights from the Maker's Mark tour:

after dipping our own bottles in the gift shop

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:44 am 
Tourist

I'm big fan of Bulleit. I like rye, and Bulleit has a high rye content...I've mixed it in several cocktails and I also like it neat/on the rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:06 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Go fish.
For those of you in Columbus, Jenni's Ice Cream (Short North and North Market locations) have an ice cream called Maker's Mark. Made with Bourbon and pecans roasted in butter and salt. Just had some. Totally tasty. :D

KukiAme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:37 pm 
Kere

KukiAme wrote:
For those of you in Columbus, Jenni's Ice Cream (Short North and North Market locations) have an ice cream called Maker's Mark. Made with Bourbon and pecans roasted in butter and salt. Just had some. Totally tasty. :D

KukiAme

Im there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:02 pm 
Kere

E33 wrote:
leisure master wrote:
E33?

Lately, I've been finding Bulleit for a good price and I'm enjoying it, and I've also been drinking 1792 Ridgemont Reserve:

I have still never had the Bulleit, I like the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve in my selection at the bar still unopened. But have tried it befor and like it alot.

Have you ever had the Pappy Van Winkle I mentioned ? If not you owe it to yourself as a bourbon drinker. It is aged 20 years and rated the best in the world with a score of 99 out of 100. Expensive but worth every penny.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:23 pm 
Avai Pukao

Beachcomber Brian wrote:
Have you ever had the Pappy Van Winkle I mentioned ? If not you owe it to yourself as a bourbon drinker. It is aged 20 years and rated the best in the world with a score of 99 out of 100. Expensive but worth every penny.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument

OK twist my arm whydontcha... I'll be on the lookout whenever I hit a different liquor store. My most convenient liquor store has a crummy bourbon selection (but I can always get Knob Creek and Maker's Mark, so no worries).

I finally picked up the Wild Turkey American Honey, bourbon and honey blend. Way too sweet on it's own for my tastes, but I expect it will mix well as I think of things to do with it. Anybody got any suggestions? I started with some on the rocks to get to know it, now I've added some knob creek and it's very pleasant.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:34 pm 
Nounou Moai

I like zee bourbon!

I will have to try the Bulleit and the woodford reserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:19 pm 
Nounou Moai

I had a couple of Old Fashioneds with dinner, the receipt says they had Maker's Mark in 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:12 pm 
Kere

E33 wrote:
Beachcomber Brian wrote:

OK twist my arm whydontcha... I'll be on the lookout whenever I hit a different liquor store. My most convenient liquor store has a crummy bourbon selection (but I can always get Knob Creek and Maker's Mark, so no worries).

I finally picked up the Wild Turkey American Honey, bourbon and honey blend. Way too sweet on it's own for my tastes, but I expect it will mix well as I think of things to do with it. Anybody got any suggestions? I started with some on the rocks to get to know it, now I've added some knob creek and it's very pleasant.

I will keep my eyes open for you. It is even getting more difficult to find by me. I will be in Kentucky in about a week and a half to pick up some more bourbon for the bar. I will let you know what it is running, and I can always pick a bottle up on my next visit and ship it to you.

I have tried the honey bourbon as well and your right it is sweet. I moved it to my kitchen. I used it for a glaze on a ham it was out of this world. But I could see the benefits for some cocktails. However, I am a bourbon neat kind of guy usually; but on occasion I like a good Mint Julep or Manhattan too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:40 pm 
Avai Pukao

Beachcomber Brian wrote:
I will keep my eyes open for you. It is even getting more difficult to find by me. I will be in Kentucky in about a week and a half to pick up some more bourbon for the bar. I will let you know what it is running, and I can always pick a bottle up on my next visit and ship it to you.

I have tried the honey bourbon as well and your right it is sweet. I moved it to my kitchen. I used it for a glaze on a ham it was out of this world. But I could see the benefits for some cocktails. However, I am a bourbon neat kind of guy usually; but on occasion I like a good Mint Julep or Manhattan too.

Damn, I wish we'd realized the bourbon connection when standing in line at the FOTG. Would have been better to have this conversation in person, but at least we had some conversation.

What's your version of the perfect Manhattan? For me, the key is Vya sweet vermouth.

On the julep front, they're almost always good, but my favorite julep experience was on a hot Louisiana late summer afternoon, when a friend invited us to his parent's house/plantation in the country. Hand cracked ice, silver julep cups, and a horse drawn buggy ride around the town makes the cocktail taste like heaven. Well, if done right it tastes like heaven anyway, but I think you get the picture. It was a truly memorable cocktail experience.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:31 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: TFFU
OK, old man booze time: the house Bourbon around the Velveteen Lounge used to be Jim Beam, which is not only cheaper than Jack but has the benefit of actually being Bourbon. One day just for a kick we moved one shelf down in the likka store and tried what looked like a classic rotgut whisky, Old Crow. I'll be damned if it didn't taste just like Beam, so now we that's the house brand. Is it a classic sipper? Nah, Manhattans or Old Fashioneds at best, but I do actually like the stuff Lee van Cleef style, straight up, dirty glass. This is why I have so much hair on my chest. We did used to have a big ol' bottle of Maker's Mark but...it ran out, not sure how. For whiskeys we do keep Sazerac Rye and Bushmill's on hand. I REALLY like the latter straight up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:46 pm 
Avai Pukao

captainquad wrote:
which is not only cheaper than Jack but has the benefit of actually being Bourbon.

Amen bruddah, I can't tell you how many times I've gone up to a bar and asked for a bourbon rocks and watched them grab the Jack. It lets me know what to order for my second drink. Anyway, as the sophisticated rummys of the Gubmo Limbos have expanded my tastes to rum, I'm thinking that there's a lot more variation in rum than bourbon. There's variation in quality, but the rules are so strict, I have a hard time distinguishing between old crow, jim beam, and early times.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 pm 
Kere

E33 wrote:
Beachcomber Brian wrote:

Damn, I wish we'd realized the bourbon connection when standing in line at the FOTG. Would have been better to have this conversation in person, but at least we had some conversation.

What's your version of the perfect Manhattan? For me, the key is Vya sweet vermouth.

On the julep front, they're almost always good, but my favorite julep experience was on a hot Louisiana late summer afternoon, when a friend invited us to his parent's house/plantation in the country. Hand cracked ice, silver julep cups, and a horse drawn buggy ride around the town makes the cocktail taste like heaven. Well, if done right it tastes like heaven anyway, but I think you get the picture. It was a truly memorable cocktail experience.

I love the vermouth, I usually add a splash of Luxardo Maraschino liquor to mine it works out really nice. I don't usually drink juleps that often but always get them when at the derby. I have some great pewter juleps cups that were given to me as a gift and you are correct the metal cups make a huge difference. I would have loved the experience that you mentioned, it would certainly make the drink taste better or as you said more memorable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:05 pm 
Avai Pukao

Beachcomber Brian wrote:
I love the vermouth, I usually add a splash of Luxardo Maraschino liquor to mine it works out really nice.

Makes total sense and I'll definitely try the maschino soon.

Beachcomber Brian wrote:
I don't usually drink juleps that often but always get them when at the derby. I have some great pewter juleps cups that were given to me as a gift and you are correct the metal cups make a huge difference. I would have loved the experience that you mentioned, it would certainly make the drink taste better or as you said more memorable.

I only remember ordering one julep at a bar and it was in New Orleans on derby day, so I figured I was safe. Making them at home can be great.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:48 am 
Nounou Moai

Speaking of julep's I have a bottle of Maker's Mark Julep.
It's only available during derby time and it dissapears fast!
It's good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:16 am 
Tetu Avahata

Ron-Tiki wrote:
Speaking of julep's I have a bottle of Maker's Mark Julep.
It's only available during derby time and it dissapears fast!
It's good stuff.

To quote Butthead, "That is the greatest thing I have ever seen"

C'mon now Ron....this is a bourbon thread.

We're gonna need to hear way more details than "it's good stuff"...:)