The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Macho Man Randy Savage thinks they need to calm down..."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:26 am 
Nounou Moai

Greetings, mystic Tiki-worshippers and initiates of Cool. I am kid mongo, and I'm new here at the FOM. I just found out about the Hula Hop and I can't tell you how excited I am. This will be a gut blow-out of legendary proportions (at least for ME)!

The last great Tiki Event for me was what seems like a gazillion years ago, when the legendary Combustible Edison played in the basement of the Kahiki. Ectasy!!! That was the last Perfect Moment in my life. Sadly, Combustible Edison broke up later on that tour, the Kahiki was leveled, and the recent passing of Michael Tsao left a sizeless void in my Tiki-Heart, so I'm anxiously awaiting the Hula Hop! This is just so cool I can't STAND it! The Fraternal Order of Moai is truly Excellent!

Mahalo!
:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:38 am 
Kere

Aloha Kid Mongo,
Welcome to the FOM port of the initiate! As Brother Ahu stated in another thread here, we are kind of holding off on bringing new members in till after the Hot Rod Hula Hop, Hopefully we'll see you there, and get a chance to meet you and like Voo Doo Baby, and Damion, we will at that point get to know you better, and find you a sponsor and bring you on as a full member after the Sacred five vote on it.
Please take some time and read what you are able (check out the thread about becoming a Moai) poke around ask questions, tell us a bit more about yourself...
We (The FOM) come from many different subcultures, Hot Rodders, Tikiphiles, Retro Nuts.. so on and so forth, and are very welcoming!
So with out further adoo, stick around! Post a bit, and let us get to know you,
Yours Truely
Von_Yinzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:07 am 
Honui Moai

welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:17 pm 
Nounou Moai

Thanks for the info. It's great to know that the FOM exists. I definately will be at the Hula Hop with bells on, and dragging as many people as I can.

A little about myself, a Toledo native and professional BGSU art student. A musician, bassist in a couple of reggae and ska bands. (NOT the third-wave ska - that's CRAP). In the fifth grade , my class sat thru a movie about Thor Heyerdahl's voyage on the Kon-Tiki. I was immediately taken by the sheer adventure and the Easter Island Moai. Decades later, I chanced across of a copy of the Minneapolis music fanzine "CAKE," which featured extensive articles of the underground "Lounge" scene, as exemplified by bands such as Combustible Edison, The Coctails, Love Jones, and the Makers. There was also a great primer on the history of exotica featuring Les Baxter, Martin Denny Arthur Lyman, and Esquivel. Well, the junior historian in me had to track all the principals down and see what the fuss was. I was already into retro music thanks to a Texan friend who turned me on to Eartha Kitt and Yma Sumac, so it was like finding more buried treasure. (Big fan of Martin Denny and Com Ed and Baxter. Don Tiki is also very special as is Skip Heller and the Blue Hawaiians. I would love to start up a tiki band here in C-bus). I used to work at the music store in Borders on Kenny rd at the time, and was able to set up an Exotica/Retro-Louinge display that was a big hit. God, this must've been in '95. Anyway, I began collecting tiki mugs from Vegas and the Kahiki and even convinced Mrs. Mongo to have our wedding reception there. I couldn't bring myself to go the to final farewell party at the Kahiki. But since then, I've been able to erect a modest Tiki bar and had my first cocktail party earlier this year. The special drink was the "Mongo Negro"- Blavod black vodka, rum, and cranberry juce. Yum. Oh, and a special viewing of Russ Meyer's "Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill!" I would place myself into the "Retro-Tikiphile-Exotica" category. It's all so great.

As the Hawaiian would say, a heart-felt, "Mahalo!"

kid mongo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:29 pm 
Kere

seems like cool people in columbus are comming out of the woodwork now. very exciting! I cant wait to meet all these new initiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:48 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Welcome! You'll find this is a great place to expand & share your tiki knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:30 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
I agree with Chisel, it looks like our recent Moai Ra'e are a fine crop of Initiates. We look forward to meeting you all at the Hop, and I think that it is looking like we will be calling you Fellow Moai soon after.

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:56 pm 
Kere

Location: Powell, Ohia. Can you wear Aloha Shirts on the golf course?
I didn't think we were letting any more "musicians" in? :D

Mongo, I kid, I'm a douchebag of epic proportions. Welcome to the Port.

Edit to add, what part of the fine city of Toledo do you hail from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:34 am 
Nounou Moai

Quote:
what part of the fine city of Toledo do you hail from?

Stickney / Central area, in the shadow of Woodward High School. I also spent some time in East Toledo.

Toledo, wotta sad town it's become. Perfect example what dirty politicians can do to a city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:54 am 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: BEIBER CASUALTY
kid mongo wrote:
Quote:
what part of the fine city of Toledo do you hail from?

Stickney / Central area, in the shadow of Woodward High School. I also spent some time in East Toledo.

Toledo, wotta sad town it's become. Perfect example what dirty politicians can do to a city.

Say, I spent a year up there (UT, fine arts)...it was a sad little port.

You say you play reggae/ska bass? Innnteresting. You also saw Combustible Edison at the Kahiki? Verrry interesting. You and I may have to chat over a drink. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:27 am 
Nounou Moai

kid mongo wrote:
I would love to start up a tiki band here in C-bus).

That would be so very cool! Could I just be the cool looking tiki girl on stage? ha ha ha!

kid mongo wrote:
I would place myself into the "Retro-Tikiphile-Exotica" category. It's all so great.

As the Hawaiian would say, a heart-felt, "Mahalo!"

kid mongo

I think that's our category as well, through in some lounge and glam and we're set.

Welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:11 am 
Kere

Location: Powell, Ohia. Can you wear Aloha Shirts on the golf course?
Yeah, I grew up in that shittown. West side, near Franklin Park Mall... not that it was ever a "nice" city, but in the last 20 years, it's really declined. I guess they just built a new baseball stadium downtown, trying to revitalize it. Good luck with that, you can't polish a turd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:30 pm 
Nounou Moai

I actually saw Combustible Edison's first show in C-bus at Stache's. I played pool with the bassist and marimba player. They were really fun. The Millionaire was a bit annoyed with me after I asked when the band was putting out another record. "Jeez! We just put one out!" I made him sign my cd anyway. There was only about 25 people there. They played there the next year and finally at the Kahiki.

I had to make an easy decision whether to go to UT or BGSU. As the Waitresses song goes,"The name of this game is to leave town." The baseball diamond IS nice. A far cry from that doomed mall- on- the- river disaster. And I remember when they opened Franklin Park Mall. It was cool then, but I can't imagine what it's become.

Quote:
Could I just be the cool looking tiki girl on stage? ha ha ha!

Sure, we might make you play bongos, though. :o