The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Macho Man Randy Savage thinks they need to calm down..."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm new here
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:59 am 
Nounou Moai

Well, as the subject implies, I'm new here.

My boyfriend and I saw a poster for the Hot Rod Hula Hop at an antique mall we frequent while searching out finds for the Shanghai Opium Den we're working on. We'll definitely be attending and I decided to join this place because it looks like I can find some folks who might not think I'm 100% out of my skull for doing some of the things I do.

Both of us are artists, so we're very into decorating. We purchased a house in the 'burbs, built in 1961 and we're in the process of turning it into an eclectic Wonderland blending our love of comics with love of the kitschy glam. Every room here has a different feel, and it takes us a while to finish one room. Just recently, we finished the Electric Voodoo Kitchen and it was featured in the latest issue of Gothic Beauty Magazine. I would love to post pictures, but I figured I shouldn't till maybe I found someone to sponsor me and I was accepted. Maybe here I should officially state that I would love to join and find someone to sponsor me. Although I don't think anyone knows me here, so I'm at a disadvantage I suppose. I'm clean and I don't eat much, does that help?

We will of course, have a Tiki room. It's only probably a quarter of the way done as we're still searching for some over the top pieces that will really bring it together and we're working out the flooring still and a possible thatch roof. Not to mention I think the boyfriend wants to cut a hole in the wall for the bar. We're very much into demolishing things first... as soon as we signed the papers on this place, I had a crew tearing down a wall in the bedroom. (I work construction too.)

Let's see, about me.
Well, my day job is construction; so you'll see me in a t-shirt, jeans, steel toe boots, and a hard hat usually. I'm the only woman out there.
But I freelance write, model (just some alt type stuff, I'm not Vogue material), do some photography (although it's been a while) and I long to make independent films. Currently, I'm working with an artist on the comic, VooDoo Baby, that has yet to make it's debut. And next year, if all goes right, I will begin work on my first film, a subtle kind of horror flick. I'm also the assistant fashion editor for Gothic Beauty Magazine.

I love just about all things kitsch; from the tiki to the Vegas glam. Give me a can of gold spray paint and I'll go crazy decorating. I love to decorate, but it's got to be over the top for me, we're just not subtle folks. I'm not lying when I say people stop in front of our house trying to make out the outrageous colours they see. (We have a lot of windows up front.) We also love comics, from independent ones to the superhero ones. And everything in between, I especially adore the old horror comics like Vampirella, Devilina, etc.

We dig cars, a lot. From the classics to yes, even the imports. If I could afford a '72 (H)El(l) Camino, I'd be in love, but I can't. So I work on my Honda instead. No, it's not covered in ridiculus stickers, I prefer a sleeker look and I put my work under the hood. I don't know everything, but I want to learn. I don't pay people to work on my car, I try to do it myself, although I'm usually getting much needed help from my boyfriend. I also want to learn about demolition driving, I really want to be a demolition driver.

God I can babble, can't I? Maybe you guys shouldn't let me in!

That's it, I'm shutting up now.

Putting the "Sin" in Sincerly,
Anastasia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:57 pm 
Kere

Welcome Voo Doo...
You certainly have come to the right place, Well consider yourelf put up, and spoken for. You made the first step in introing yourself, and now you have let us know who you are.
Welcome, now we just need another couple of votes and you should be in..
Von_Yinzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:04 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: One!... Two!... FIVE!
welcome vdb, i for one think that evening out the f.o.m. ratio is a swell idea, genderwise :D :shock: it's safe to say this is a supa non-judgemental group regarding collections of the nonmainstream type :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:38 pm 
Nounou Moai

Von_Yinzer wrote:
Welcome Voo Doo...
Well consider yourelf put up, and spoken for.
Von_Yinzer

Thank you!

I feel quite honoured.

Perhaps I should post a few pictures of the voodoo kitchen to show people just how serious we are over here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:41 pm 
Nounou Moai

Johnny Dollar wrote:
welcome vdb, i for one think that evening out the f.o.m. ratio is a swell idea, genderwise :D :shock: it's safe to say this is a supa non-judgemental group regarding collections of the nonmainstream type :)

Hey, for once, being a woman came in handy. Alright, it's come in handy about oh, half a zillion times.

I'm all about standing out in a crowd, but after the tenth or so time of people giving you strange looks when you pick up a dozen Virgin Mary statues you start to wonder, "Isn't there anyone else out there with bizarre taste like me and who could appreciate this?"

I just want to share the strangeness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:53 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Aloha VooDoo, pleasure meeting you.

Please get settled in and take a look around the site a bit. Read what you can here in the Port and feel free to post as much as you like. I'll try to add some posts here about the FOM for Initiate Moai Ra'e such as yourself to read.

In the meantime, since you have already introduced yourself, told us a bit about you, and expressed your interest in becoming a Fellow Moai, we have to sort a few details out here to get the process in motion.

It would appear as though you have a good bit of support already. Seems that the Order wants a more balanced ratio of men to women, and frankly I don't blame them.

Yinzer, did you mean to imply that you are acting as Sponsor for Voodoo Baby? If so, can you please make your case to the Order over in the Lodge and ask for a vote?

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:13 pm 
Honui Moai

welcome! i'd love to see some pics of that kitchen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:20 pm 
Kere

Bit unsure as to what sponsorship entails, but what the hell... VDB hope you can get me and the wife a good deal on some cool fabric!!!! LOL jus kidding, if you have a link to the fabric site please feel free to post it, as we are looking to do some new window treatments in the bed room...
BTW awsome kitchy kitchen! Rweminds me of somthing out of the "PADS" book....
Look forward to seeing you as a full memeber soon.
Now if I can get my wife to join...
Von Yinzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:26 am 
Tourist

Quote:
"Isn't there anyone else out there with bizarre taste like me and who could appreciate this?"

Where do I start, I was very much into the gothic culture while in high school. Painted my nails black the whole nine yards. (Although to look at me now, you'd never figure it.)

We celebrate Halloween around here like it's Xmas in fact, my wife and I got married on Halloween. I still listen to quite a bit of the music. Black tape for a blue girl, older cure, kmfdm etc. My dream hot rod is a old hearse. I would love to take a 70's caddy hearse and just hot rod it to death (pun intended)

Hell even my user name is an old D&D pen and paper character I had. I came up with the name because it sounded gothic and foreboding. My wife and I go to the ren faires alot as well.
I think you'll find that somehow cultures like the goth/rockabilly and tiki all seem to mesh together, at least for me it does. It's all an excape one way or another from a drab, cookie cutter world and stress. Lot of the folks who are into tiki seem to also be into hotrods, enjoy Halloween and listen to alot of the same music. If they weren't why is there so many horror surf bands?? I hate doing things that the Joneses are doing, I guess thats why I'm so weird. Anyway i'm throwing a vote your way albeit premature or not. I don't see any reason why you and your boyfriend wouldn't fit right in here. I am anxious to see pics of your house, please post them when you can.

One thing I will say is that it's nice to get people signed up that actually post and have an interest. Lately we've got a bunch of folks signed up who can't even say "Hi, my names blah blah and I like tiki" Well have fun here as I am sure its just a matter of time (quickly actually) before you get in.

Dime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:23 am 
Nounou Moai

freakytiki wrote:
welcome! i'd love to see some pics of that kitchen!

Thank you!
And granted, you have pics.... well, as you saw already. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:28 am 
Nounou Moai

Von_Yinzer wrote:
Bit unsure as to what sponsorship entails, but what the hell... VDB hope you can get me and the wife a good deal on some cool fabric!!!! LOL jus kidding, if you have a link to the fabric site please feel free to post it, as we are looking to do some new window treatments in the bed room...
BTW awsome kitchy kitchen! Rweminds me of somthing out of the "PADS" book....
Look forward to seeing you as a full memeber soon.
Now if I can get my wife to join...
Von Yinzer

And thanks again for the sponsorship, hopefully it doesn't entail the donation of a vital body organ, but if it does; I'll be there with some rum for ya!

Well, my friend and I are rabid seamstresses; so we are constantly surfing the web for fabric deals. She's thinking about getting a vendor's license, and so am I, so we might be able to get stuff wholesale. If so, I'll let you know! For right now, I'll start digging up all the links on fabric that pertain to a whole tiki/vintage hawaii/Florida kitsch theme(s). If you're doing curtains, you're pretty set because there's a lot of available fabric. Upholstery on the other hand takes a stiffer fabric and your choices are a bit more limited.

I'm so glad you dug the kitchen... and comparing it to something out of Pads is a compliment, as that's one of my decorating bibles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:33 am 
Nounou Moai

Dimethios wrote:
My wife and I go to the ren faires alot as well.
I think you'll find that somehow cultures like the goth/rockabilly and tiki all seem to mesh together, at least for me it does. It's all an excape one way or another from a drab, cookie cutter world and stress. Lot of the folks who are into tiki seem to also be into hotrods, enjoy Halloween and listen to alot of the same music. If they weren't why is there so many horror surf bands?? I hate doing things that the Joneses are doing, I guess thats why I'm so weird. Anyway i'm throwing a vote your way albeit premature or not. I don't see any reason why you and your boyfriend wouldn't fit right in here. I am anxious to see pics of your house, please post them when you can.

One thing I will say is that it's nice to get people signed up that actually post and have an interest. Lately we've got a bunch of folks signed up who can't even say "Hi, my names blah blah and I like tiki" Well have fun here as I am sure its just a matter of time (quickly actually) before you get in.

Dime

I think you're right, the whole goth thing blends really well into tiki. I was just reviewing a proof of Voltaire's newest book, "Paint It Black", and he was just mentioning how well a tiki/voodoo theme works for goth.

Ah, the renfaire! The annual event for us and another couple, where me and the best mate get to play dress up and the boys go drink themselves near to death. It works out well for us all. This year, I'm thinking of doing a pirate outfit.

Oh I intend to post! This is something I feel passionate about. There's such a broad spectrum of things within this arena to cover from music to decorating to drinks and recipes to movies, the list just goes on and on!

Thanks for your vote, I appreciate it.
The boyfriend is ready to join... but perhaps I should make him hold off till I'm accepted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:50 am 
Kere

If your man is looking to join a'nat by all means have him start posting here in the port of the initiate, As one of the other brothers stated it is refreshing to see someone posting somthing other than , "I like Tiki".
The way it works from here is that as you post more and we all get to know you from that we usually vote someone in based on that. Ahu and Myself are going to work to further refine the process after the HRHH.
The better we get to know someone the better the chances are of getting in. The way we get to know you is by what you post. If there are any lurkers out there that got bumped or are looking to join Voo Doo here is a good example of what we want you to do to become a member.
Thanks for the opportunity to go on a little bit about how one becomes a member...
And good luck with the remaining votes! I dont forsee and rough waters before you arrive at our island! (BTW there are lots of large shade trees here so you can avoid the sun.... LOL Used to be a bit into the industrial scene many moons ago.... If you have a copy of KMFDMs original release of Naive, vould I get you to burn it for me??? my tape snapped a couple of years ago...)
Von Yinzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:17 am 
Nounou Moai

Von_Yinzer wrote:
If your man is looking to join a'nat by all means have him start posting here in the port of the initiate, As one of the other brothers stated it is refreshing to see someone posting somthing other than , "I like Tiki".

I shall do that!
Oh you can count on posts, as I feel this is more of a community of similar mindsets, joining together to share not just our past tales but our futures as well. Whether it's that perfect drink from Trader Vic's or just a decorating tip.
My boyfriend (Damion) will be the one that shares drink stuff and home brews, making the bar; as this is usually where I just want to drink the drink and dance in my grass skirt. He knows more about liquor than I, I just know what tastes good.

Quote:
And good luck with the remaining votes! I dont forsee and rough waters before you arrive at our island! (BTW there are lots of large shade trees here so you can avoid the sun.... LOL Used to be a bit into the industrial scene many moons ago.... If you have a copy of KMFDMs original release of Naive, vould I get you to burn it for me??? my tape snapped a couple of years ago...)
Von Yinzer

Ah, that's a relief.
I look forward to resting in the shade... although you'd be shocked, I have colour, I think I lose my 'goth card' now. Heh. Now my Greek half is showing through. Oh my, you know, I think I have Naive on VINYL. But we're not quite yet at the capability of buring my vinyl to cd, but soon, and you'll be first on the list. I think I have it on cd as well, but not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:49 am 
Kere

The more mixologists the better.... It takes a special sort to be able to put 5 or 6 types of liqior together and call it a cocktail, so by all means get him on here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:24 pm 
Kere

Hey VDB, tried to look up pics at that live journal site, said that voo doo babys account had been purged and deleted, do you have a different username on there?
or a direct link?
let us know i think we would all like to see more of your digs
VY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:46 pm 
Nounou Moai

Von_Yinzer wrote:
Hey VDB, tried to look up pics at that live journal site, said that voo doo babys account had been purged and deleted, do you have a different username on there?
or a direct link?
let us know i think we would all like to see more of your digs
VY

Ah, the community I run for decorating is "alt_home", here's a link:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/alt_home/
That's where I post pics of the house.... but right now, all that's done is my kitchen, but soon the Shanghai Opium Den will be done!
Direct links to my kitchen entries (most photos you've seen already though):
http://www.livejournal.com/community/al ... 16767.html
http://www.livejournal.com/community/al ... 17306.html

A bit more of just the altar, although I've added so much more now:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/alt_home/7566.html

This was a bit more in process:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/alt_home/9986.html

VooDoo Baby lj is active, but I haven't used it, it's going to be used for the promotion of the comic, http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml ... oodoo_baby

I'm gonna post some links for fabric and such in a moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:20 pm 
Kere

voodoo seems very much to be our kind of people, a boost to this forum. you got my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:37 pm 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Yes, I think we have some future Fellow Moai on our hands here recently.

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:58 pm 
Kere

Location: Powell, Ohia. Can you wear Aloha Shirts on the golf course?
VDB, welcome. If I ever get around to building my bar, I think I know who I'll be calling upon for decorating ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:59 pm 
Honui Moai

Yea! Someone who likes comics. I'd love to see yours when it's completed.