The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"That's a first, having to take down the bamboo wind chime before a conference call."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 67  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: TFFU
OK, late post because it was a pretty busy weekend but I only consider that a prelude to happy hour. *Friday: Trader Vic's Grog & the Mystery Drink I can't talk about right now *Saturday: the Mint Julep courtesy Urbantiki *Sunday: Mai Tai time, and make it a double *Monday: Scorpion, in the new bowl (or bowel, as the box said.) Now that's my kind of variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:09 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Go fish.
Any of you cats been to Buckeye Hall of Fame cafe? Do they do nice tasty beverages of the cocktail type? Might as well get the weekend started early, ne?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:16 am 
Hatu Matoa

Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
KukiAme wrote:
Any of you cats been to Buckeye Hall of Fame cafe? Do they do nice tasty beverages of the cocktail type? Might as well get the weekend started early, ne?

They are a sports bar. I you like domestic beer and sports, you will be thrilled. I went there for a family members wedding rehearsal dinner and it was like drinking beer in a scarlet and gray hell.

And I like the Buckeyes.

Ahu

ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:23 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
I like that this thread now gets posts during the week too - it's like a non-stop meeting of Alcoholics Unanimous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:48 pm 
Honui Moai

When I was at the Buckeye HOF Cafe last night, I was saddened by the non-alcoholness of my school banquet. Fortunately, the people in my degree are cool and I got a Hornsby bought for me. Interestingly enough, I didn't like it. I used to love them. I've been spoiled by hanging around with you guys. A thank you is in order so.....THANK YOU. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:19 pm 
Nounou Moai

So, they didn't have mixed drinks?

I may have asked this long ago, but, if one doesn't like beer, what would be a good thing to order in a sports bar, or other bars where mixed drinks aren't on the menu and I don't know the skill level of the bartender? I have ordered a Mai Tai at several non-tiki bars, and you never know what you're going to get. They usually contain orange juice and grenadine.

I usually order something simple like Rum and Pineapple juice, but sometimes that means Mr. Boston rum, and their top shelf rum is Bacardi.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:34 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: zoinks!
if you have a religious connection to rum, i would recommend Cuba Libre or Chips' Dr. Cuba Libre.

I myself will usually opt for an old fashioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:48 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: cromagnon ohio thugs
KukiAme wrote:

They have a decent draft selection complete with rotating Sam Adams seasonal brews. As for cocktails, it's more along the lines of a TGI Fridays (margaritas, daquris, mudslides, etc.). They have some nice whiskys and scotches, so I can vouch for those. (All the menfolk in my family quaff Rusty Nails as the pregame drink of choice.) The rum selection? Other than Meyer's Dark Jamaican Rum, it's all pirates and bats.

Whilst perusing their drink menu, this sounded intriguing, though.
Tailgate Rumrunner
"Light rum, dark rum, blackberry brandy, banana liquer, orange juice, sweet & sour, Rose's lime juice and grenadine all shaken and stirred over ice."
Have them ixnay the sweet & sour/Roses/grenadine and use fresh lime juice, and that sounds like a good drink to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:11 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Tane wrote:
if you have a religious connection to rum, i would recommend Cuba Libre or Chips' Dr. Cuba Libre.

I myself will usually opt for an old fashioned.

You've had to have had more than a few horrible old fashioneds then. I'd never trust that to a new bartender.

I'm with ya my fellow Don. I don't like beer ever. Depends on the mood of the place, sometimes I'll talk to the bartender a little if it's not too busy and figure out where to go from there. That's led to some pleasant surprises like a good drink from a bartender that wishes they didn't have to sling beer all the time, a free drink, and getting the sazerac put on the summer menu somewhere in Toronto. If it's too busy or the bartender just isn't into the chat, I usually go bourbon rocks, but you can always call your spirit and mixer if they've got it. Most bartenders don't mind and some even like being told how to make a drink so long as it's not too busy and it's not too complicated. LuRu regularly has me explain a Diablo, made the way she likes it 2oz tequila, 1oz creme de casis, squeeze of lime, topped with ginger ale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:28 pm 
Hatu Matoa

The only safe bets in any bar as far as I have experienced are:

Gin and Tonic w/ lime

Vodka Tonic w/ lime

Gin and grapefruit

Rum and coke with lime provided the rum is not complete ass. Myers is usually available.

Or a makeshift ti' punch...

Ask the bartender to pour a shot of whatever orange liqueur they have on hand.. triple sec usually. Have them shake this with a glass 3/4 full of ice (the glass they intend to pour into), 2 shots of Myers, and some plain sugar (couple small spoonfuls).

Pour into the serving glass, add a heavy squeeze of lime, and then top with soda.

Yes, there will be sugar undissolved in the bottom.

I usually just order rum and soda with lime though.

Ahu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:47 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: TFFU
leisure master wrote:
I like that this thread now gets posts during the week too - it's like a non-stop meeting of Alcoholics Unanimous.

Oh yeah! Well I like to post anew every Friday just to see what's pouring at the excellent home bars I've seen and heard of but to be honest, I'm mixing every night. Ya gotta have a beverage with dinner after all!

Now today I'm getting home at a reasonable hour for once. I have seen tonight's menu and it looks fantastic: Chinese pizza & ginger fruit dip accompanied by Omar's Delight & the Eastern Sour. This is why I live at the Velveteen Lounge.

Whatcha drinkin' everybody?

The Cap'n

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:16 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Booze chose me.
captainquad wrote:
Whatcha drinkin' everybody?

The Cap'n

Hear, hear for having a beverage with dinner! (And before, and after…and then a little nightcap...)

Happy hour at the Velveteen Lounge sounds fab. Wish we were a little closer.

Tonite, the Blue Lory is serving daiquiris (plain old lime daiquiris, shaken, not frozen) to accompany the mystery shrimp-cilantro-scallion-ginger and pea dish in concocting …because 1. we have tons of limes and nothing else (apart from liquor), and 2. it’s raining, I just got my hair done and I’m not going to ruin a perfect coif shopping for dinner. We recently acquired a bottle of Sonoma ginger syrup, so I may try a batch of daquiris with some included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:53 pm 
Honui Moai

SpaceBoy64 wrote:
So, they didn't have mixed drinks?

They did but someone else was paying for the drink so I went for something cheaper. If I were paying, I would have checked out the tailgate rumrunner thing. Either that or gotten a Capt-n-Coke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:32 am 
Chapter Tohunga

Good ol' Trader Vic Mai Tais tonight.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:18 pm 
Kere

Made my first-ever batch of cinnamon syrup, followed by my first Jet Pilot and '34 Zombie. Them's good drinkin'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:04 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Maybe a little one..
Hep wrote:
Made my first-ever batch of cinnamon syrup, followed by my first Jet Pilot and '34 Zombie. Them's good drinkin'!

CaptainQuad made cinnamon syrup recently and we just served a Jet Pilot to Rugby Matt, who happened to drop by. You're right: good drinkin'! :D

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:59 pm 
Matu'u

Didn't get a happy hour until early this afternoon. If you can believe it, I worked for LuRu decorating High School proms all weekend. One of the proms (she decorated two) was in a convention center holding three proms at the same time. When we showed up to tear down late Saturday night, the big hubub was the kid who fell out of his limo drunk with a pocket full of xanax who got arrested in front of kids from all three schools.

Anyway when I finally got to happy hour this afternoon, we thoroughly enjoyed a couple of shrunken skulls. This has shot up my list of favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Maybe a little one..
E33 wrote:
the big hubub was the kid who fell out of his limo drunk with a pocket full of xanax who got arrested in front of kids from all three schools.

I wonder what he does for an encore?

Shrunken Skull sounds good to me! So far today it's been the aforementioned Jet Pilot and Spencer Cocktail, which I made in honor of CaptainQuad from the Trader Vic's recipe.

I just made a fresh batch of grenadine, so I'm thinking something with that, which narrows it down to about 1000 choices. :lol:

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 pm 
Tagata A'o

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
E33 wrote:
the big hubub was the kid who fell out of his limo drunk with a pocket full of xanax who got arrested in front of kids from all three schools

He sounds like San Diego State University material.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/136441

-Rev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:07 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
Not so much Happy Hour as it will be Happy Weekend......

Heading down to Key West tomorrow to spend a Lost Drunken Weekend. Mai-Tais, Coconauts, and anything else we can manage with the traveling bar will the drink of the day.

If we can stay sober enough to work the camera we'll report back with pictures.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:22 am 
Kere

VelveteenLounge wrote:
Shrunken Skull sounds good to me!

I tried a Shrunken Skull last night on your recommendation after my kid's lengthy high school band program -- where she received the prestigious John Phillip Sousa Award. :D

The Shrunken Skull was quick and easy to make, and very good indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 am 
Kere

The Rhum Rhum Room will be hosting another happy hour this Friday with some old friends and special guests (and of course any of you mugs that might happen upon NYC). So this week is busy making ss, orgeat, falernum and other syrups and potions.

A new menu is in the works and will be posted of course. I am thinking of honoring a special request and adding the Sidewinder's Fang and Black Magic for this gathering. Anyone have any comment on either? In addition, anyone have a recipe for the Black Magic they are happy with - I see there are variations out there.

The BEST part is my new ice crusher. It arrived last night and I feel like the Rev with a new lego set he can't play with yet.

I upgraded from this decent, a bit snowy, and small crusher:

To this HUGE (you can't tell here), perfect smaller-than-a-dime-size-chunks crusher:

GAME ON.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 am 
Matu'u

Damn Joe, with the small photo I was afraid you had a Wang Crusher there. A little internet detective work and I'm guessing that's the Waring Pro Crusher, capable of 50lbs in an hour. Whew!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 am 
Kere

E33 wrote:
Damn Joe, with the small photo I was afraid you had a Wang Crusher there. A little internet detective work and I'm guessing that's the Waring Pro Crusher, capable of 50lbs in an hour. Whew!!!

You are correct, sir.

Definitely no wang crushing going on at the Rhum Rhum Room. However, I do believe there is a place in our neighborhood that will accomodate such requests....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:09 pm 
Hatu Matoa

This weekend my old neighbors will be hosting their annual crawfish boil. They have them flown in from Louisiana fresh and alive (that's where he is from).

So Ahu will be toting out the fixings for the best Hurricane anyone has ever tasted. Pat O'Brien has got nothin' on me with their Kool Aid red hummingbird food.

Ahurricane

1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce fresh oj

All of these can be pre-squeezed in one large batch so that you have an equal mix of each together in a pitcher. So just make a big thing of equal parts oj, lemon juice, and lime juice. Then add 1 and 1/2 oz of that for each drink. Make extra, because that is also the stuff you need for Ahu Sour Mix. All you do is take the leftover juice and cook it with sugar. Yum!

3 oz of Coruba dark rum
2 oz of Cruzan light rum

3 and 1/2 oz of homemade passion fruit syrup

1/2 oz homemade grenadine

All ingredients shaken with cracked ice and served in a proper hurricane glass. Garnish with one cherry and an orange wheel. Drop in a straw.

Inform your guests that these will put them into a coma if they are not careful, and that they will be left out in the rain all night.

Ahu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 67  Next