The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/

Happy Hour Countdown...
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4122
Page 5 of 66

Author:  VelveteenLounge [ Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

rev_thumper wrote:
E33 wrote:
Heading out to replenish the stock


Me too, the liquor commission is having a "spend $120 on spirits, get a $20 gift card" sale. We came home with two gift cards. Ooops.

Off to make a Scorpion Bowl.

-Rev


I want a liquor store gift card! :D

CaptainQ is mixing and I'm prepping the H-hour nibbles--better late than never...

Author:  captainquad [ Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

VelveteenLounge wrote:

CaptainQ is mixing and I'm prepping the H-hour nibbles--better late than never...


Yes--as long as I'm here by 9 it still feels like H-hour. The nibbles are dammmmmmnnnnnnnnnn good as usual. Well i decided to finally try the Penang Afriddidi, which is a tasty thing indeedy. Will go down quick, though, and will be moving onward to Grog or the still-excellent Jet Pilot. OK, so I made cinnamon syrup and now I have to use the damn stuff.

Author:  rev_thumper [ Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

leisure master wrote:
This weekend I'm looking forward to a Corn 'n Oil:

1.5 Cruzan blackstrap (I may try Goslings for a change)
0.5 Falernum (homemade - you may want to use less if you use store-bought)
squeeze lime wedges to taste (2 for me)


Wow.... not bad at all!

-Rev

Author:  SpaceBoy64 [ Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

leisure master wrote:
This weekend I'm looking forward to a Corn 'n Oil:

1.5 Cruzan blackstrap (I may try Goslings for a change)
0.5 Falernum (homemade - you may want to use less if you use store-bought)
squeeze lime wedges to taste (2 for me)


Why is that called a "Corn 'n Oil"?

Seems like it would have some corn whiskey in it.

Author:  leisure master [ Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 am ]
Post subject: 

SpaceBoy64 wrote:
Why is that called a "Corn 'n Oil"?

Seems like it would have some corn whiskey in it.

I have no idea and agree with your thought. I wish I invented it, but it's not mine. I think its from Seattle (the Zig Zag perhaps?)

I have been drinking more of these over the past couple of weeks. I now make (and get) them with more of a 2:1 ratio of dark rum to falernum instead of the 3:1 ratio I originally listed.

Oh, in the spirit of this thread, we opened up the Rhum Rhum Room for an impromptu happy hour on Friday. Mai Tais, Zombies, Coconauts and manhattans were flowing and we we all rockin' the Wii as well.

Author:  Ron-Tiki [ Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 am ]
Post subject: 

I have discovered the awesomeness of the Demerrara Dry Float!!

YUM! :D :D :D

Author:  Tane [ Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

This seems like an appropriate thread for my question. I gifted myself a bottle of 10 Cane and as soon as i got home i saw fresh limes and mint leaves so i figured a mojito would let the flavors sing. It was very dry, seemed a bit more masculine... I thought this must be what Hemingway's mojito tasted like. But i did not really care for it. i preferred the ones i had been making with Mr. Boston V.I.. Does anyone have a drink suggestion tailored for use of 10 Cane?

Author:  Chip and Andy [ Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tane wrote:
Does anyone have a drink suggestion tailored for use of 10 Cane?


I found the best use of 10 Cane was Cuba Libre's.

Specifically, a healthy pour of Rum, Ice, Dr Pepper, squeeze of lime, enjoy.

Yes, I said Dr Pepper. It plays very well with the greener notes of the 10 cane in my opinion.

And, if you are planning on squeezing into the bikini this summer, Diet Dr. Pepper works just as well.

Author:  SpaceBoy64 [ Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ron-Tiki wrote:
I have discovered the awesomeness of the Demerrara Dry Float!!

YUM! :D :D :D


What is a Demerrara Dry Float?

Author:  KukuAhu [ Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:03 am ]
Post subject: 

Tane wrote:
This seems like an appropriate thread for my question. I gifted myself a bottle of 10 Cane and as soon as i got home i saw fresh limes and mint leaves so i figured a mojito would let the flavors sing. It was very dry, seemed a bit more masculine... I thought this must be what Hemingway's mojito tasted like. But i did not really care for it. i preferred the ones i had been making with Mr. Boston V.I.. Does anyone have a drink suggestion tailored for use of 10 Cane?



I do. Use it in a Papa Doble. (Hemingway Daiquiri)

1 & 1/2 oz rum
1/4 oz maraschino liqueur
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice

Shake with cracked ice and strain into a chilled daiquiri glass.

Yes, you can add some simple syrup if it is too tart for you.




Ahu

Author:  rev_thumper [ Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Chip and Andy wrote:
Yes, I said Dr Pepper. It plays very well with the greener notes of the 10 cane in my opinion.


This I have to try!

It needs a name. Dr. Libre?

-Rev

Author:  Tane [ Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I will have to pick up a 10th of Luxord tomorry, but strangely enough i have one can or diet Dr. Pepper on top of my fridge. It was left by dad for the next time he visits. He is a sick man. He daily consumes Diet Dr.P, junior mints, and marx whole wheat bagels...and nothing else.


So... The papa doble sounds tops but i gots the greedyence for Dr. cuba libre
(to the liquor shelf)

Author:  Ron-Tiki [ Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
What is a Demerrara Dry Float?



Demerara Dry Float

2 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 ounces passion fruit syrup
1/4 ounce sugar syrup
1 ounce Demerara rum
1/4 ounce 151 Demerara rum
1/4 ounce Maraschino
Shake everything except the 151 rum with ice, strain into double old-fashioned glass filled with crushed ice, and carefully float the 151. Do not stir.

Author:  c10 [ Fri May 02, 2008 8:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Started with a 'Celebrator' (all beers that end in "-ator" are kind of the same style, and they rule).
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000005.html

Now having a 'Mickeys' out of a glass, like some kind of sophisticate.
http://www.mickeys.com/homepage.php

Author:  rev_thumper [ Fri May 02, 2008 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

It is Muddle Night here... Mojitos and Mint Juleps.

-Rev

Author:  leisure master [ Fri May 02, 2008 9:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

rev_thumper wrote:
It is Muddle Night here... Mojitos and Mint Juleps.

-Rev

Muddle night rocks - don't forget the old fashioneds.

We'll be muddling at Ray's Kentucky Derby party tomorrow.

Author:  rev_thumper [ Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

leisure master wrote:
Muddle night rocks - don't forget the old fashioneds.


We'll see.... Muddle Night seems to have turned into "make rounds of Mojitos with different rums and compare them" night.

But I had to start with a Mint Julep since I found a solid silver julep cup in my office today.

-Rev

Author:  kristiki [ Fri May 02, 2008 9:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

leisure master wrote:
We'll be muddling at Ray's Kentucky Derby party tomorrow.


I'm so bummed to be missing that one... we were supposed to go to a party tomorrow night, but it got cancelled. :(

Author:  E33 [ Fri May 02, 2008 9:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

rev_thumper wrote:
leisure master wrote:
Muddle night rocks - don't forget the old fashioneds.


We'll see.... Muddle Night seems to have turned into "make rounds of Mojitos with different rums and compare them" night.

But I had to start with a Mint Julep since I found a solid silver julep cup in my office today.

-Rev

Can I trade you offices?

Author:  rev_thumper [ Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

You wouldn't want it. The windows are welded shut and the air conditioning doesn't work so I get to have experiences like Wednesday; when my office was 88 degrees while I watched snow fall outside.

(I like living here but snow on April 30th is not good.)

I also suspect the julep cup is only silver plate!

-Rev

Author:  VelveteenLounge [ Fri May 02, 2008 10:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

rev_thumper wrote:
snow on April 30th


:shock: The day we get snow on April 30th is the day we move out of the northeast for good! :shock:

Author:  kristiki [ Fri May 02, 2008 11:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

VelveteenLounge wrote:
rev_thumper wrote:
snow on April 30th


:shock: The day we get snow on April 30th is the day we move out of the northeast for good! :shock:


He's lucky I didn't see it, or we'd be packing!

Author:  Hep [ Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Headhunters here this evening. Lovin' the Demerara! :D

Author:  rev_thumper [ Sat May 03, 2008 2:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chip and Andy wrote:
I found the best use of 10 Cane was Cuba Libre's. Specifically, a healthy pour of Rum, Ice, Dr Pepper, squeeze of lime, enjoy.


You, sir, are a genius. That's a fun twist on the Cuba Libre.

-Rev

Author:  leisure master [ Sat May 03, 2008 3:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes, Chip is most certainly a cocktail savant...

"squeeze of lime....definitely a squeeze of lime...uh oh, Wapner's coming on..."

Page 5 of 66 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/