The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Doug is the FOM version of Dr. Manhattan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Home-Bar 101
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:21 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
Many of you have home bars. Many more of you want a home bar. Well.... post your interesting bits and parts here. Ask questions. Comment on what others have to say. Basically, lets start a place to keep it all.

And, lets not forget interesting links to things about bars. Like this one, for example

http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video ... last_word/

Hosted by none other than Robert Hess of Drinkboy fame.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 am 
Amohino

Do you mean for this to be drink related or decor related or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:37 pm 
Kere

Swanky wrote:
Do you mean for this to be drink related or decor related or both?

Both, but more drink related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:28 pm 
Amohino

I've been mixing these concoctions for a while and for various numbers of people. That goes a long way towards getting "it right." One day when I get the new bar renovated, I know what it will need to "work."

Easy access to crushed ice. I have crushed ice in my fridge door and that rocks. What is needed is the bar-fridge version. A small fridge with and ice maker and a crusher through the door. You gotta have a fridge anyway. I generally mix drinks in the kitchen and then serve in the bar. It works best for reaching the ingredients and cleaning up. dumping glasses and rinsing. So, the bar will end up being a scaled down kitchen. Fridge, sink, garbage can. Easy to clean surfaces.

Your commercial bars are a bit more hard core than I need. I don't have to be able to grab a bottle easily and pour. I can sneak it out of a cabinet or whatever, as long as I can see it. Maybe a light on the door like in the fridge to see what am grabbing and go off when it closes. Tiered shelves.

I will probably end up putting a full sized fridge in my bar simply to have the ice. I do not want to cart ice in a bucket from the kitchen, especially when I am just mixing for two. Find as small a one as possible with the ice through the door.

Lots of directional down lighting in the mixing area too. I want the bar dark of course, but you need light to pour. Trying to pour a jigger of clear liquid in a metal jigger is near impossible to see in low light. So, some well placed lights where I can put my work in the light but not light up the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:26 pm 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Similar to Robert's advice on the video, when I was first building up my liquor selection I asked my closest friends what their favorite drinks were and added the ingredients for their favorites second. Then you start figuring out what else you can do with whatcha got.

Swanky's got great points about ice and light. I've been pleased with simple rope lighting under my bar.
Here's the front for size/context.

As for

Quote:
post your interesting bits and parts here.

The following are completely unnecessary but lots of fun
Drink Thermometer swizzles
Sword shaped olive picks, actually at least toothpics are necessary.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:29 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: I like cereal
I spy a bottle of screech!!!

Ayee!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:03 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
An interesting article about generally stocking a bar for the summer just popped into my inbox this am. They make some interesting choices and try to balance cost and quality, with the basic package coming in at $187 and then some additional suggestions. See what you think at the Washington Post.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:28 am 
Nounou Moai

Thanks for the Link....i think they did a good job on stocking the bar. My only major diagreement would be Laird's Applejack as a standard and not having a brandy. While i do use the applejack from time to time, you cant use it as a replacement for a brandy...and besides brandy is used in so many more drinks and can cost very little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:10 pm 
Kere

OK, here is an interesting link...

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2007 ... isco-sour/

I am not real keen on the Pisco Sour, but I am so going to get a mister-bottle and try this on a few other drinks. Now I just have to find some Stroh.

And, since this is Home-Bar 101..... This is essentially a flame-thrower. Test the process outside, well away from all of your flamable tiki-bar stuff until you know just how big a fire-ball you are going to get with whatever you have loaded into your mister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 pm 
Nounou Moai

I saw this while looking at DIY tiki bars a few months ago. I'm not sure if it works as I haven't tried it, but it might be something to at least look at prior to making one

http://blog.humuhumu.com/2006/09/05/how ... a-tiki-bar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 am 
Lunamaka'ainana Kere

Personal Statement: I miss you Roger Danger
I like the flame thrower!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:48 pm 
Nounou Moai

Ron-Tiki wrote:
I spy a bottle of screech!!!

Ayee!!!!

Don't let Ron-Tiki anywhere near that Makers Mark.

He'll be making Suffering Bastards all night long!!! :lol:

Cheers,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:21 pm 
Kere

A quick word on glassware....

This is a Cocktail Glass.

(Thank you Wikipedia for the image)

Usually called a Martini Glass.

It is called a Cocktail Glass because cocktails used to be served in this kind of glass. A typical glass is three to six ounces capacity, but some go up to as much as twenty-four ounces. The later being for some kind of hazing ritual or other similar form of public humiliation involving alcohol. This glass became popular in its form during a time when cocktails were like appetizers... something small and tasty you had before a meal or something you had a couple of differrent ones after a meal as a kind of dessert.

The stem is there so that you may hold your drink without warming it. Since most cocktails that were originally served in this style glass were on the small side it was very easy for the warmth of your hand to warm the cocktail inside the glass rendering it less than ideal for drinking, usually. It is proper to handle this glass by the stem. Holding the base of the glass makes you look like a wine snob lost with a cocktail, holding the cup of the glass makes you look like a drunkard who cant get the cocktail consumed fast enough.

Now, everyone knows this is a Martini Glass, but to call it so is disprectful to the glass and shows your own limited knowledge of the fine art of drinking (Niether of those things are good). To limit the name of this glass to only one of the possible drinks you can serve in it would be like calling a bowl Cereal because that is what you serve most often in that vessel.

So, take a look at the stem ware you have in your inventory. Bring your Cocktail Glasses back to the front of your bar and make a cocktail. Quit thinking of them solely for the one drink and start thinking of them as a possibility of many drinks.

And, the most important thing to remember about this mis-named glass..... A Martini Glass does not a Martini Make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:36 am 
Kere

This is a Rocks Glass, sometimes called a Low-Ball or Old-Fashioned Glass

Typically 8 ounces with a heavy base this glass has a nice feel in the hand. It is called a Rocks glass because most of the drinks served in this glass are straight pours over ice, i.e.. Scotch on the Rocks, SoCo on the Rocks.

The Bigger Brother of this glass is the Double-Old Fashioned glass, typically 12 - 16 ounces and can usually be recognized in your average Tiki Bar with a Mai-Tai inside of it.

If you are building your own bar, you need these. You need lots of these. And you need both sizes. And get good ones. Something that looks good with a drink inside of it. The cut-crystal one in the picture above is a bit fancy for yor average Tiki Bar, but you will use these two glass sizes a lot so get quality glass. Go to a Bar or Restaurant Supply and see what you can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 pm 
Kere

Having a party? Here are a few things to keep in mind for the bar setup....

Ice.

Trash can. You need somewhere to put the trash generated when making cocktails. You can only use so many spent lime shells as garnish before people start to notice.

Lots of Ice.

Straws. Yes, straws. Doesn't matter what you are mixing, someone is going to ask for a straw. Maybe they have sensitive teeth. Or maybe they just had some general dentistry done and don't it dribbling down their shirt.

Garnishes. If you are going to garnish your drink with anything more elaborate than a cherry or pineapple wedge, prepare them in advance and have them in a container within easy reach. And, you may even be able to prepare your garnished the day before and store in the cold-box.

More Ice.

Water. This is the single most important thing you can have access to for your bar. You will need it for cleaning your tools. You will need it to 'weaken' a drink for the light-weights. You will need to serve it to those that are getting close to crossing the line of having too much. You will need it for yourself because no matter what you call it when you are behind the bar it is still something dangerously close to work. If your water source is a nearby sink, try to keep a clear path to it even if that means yelling 'move' a lot.

Don't forget the ice. You can never have too much of this stuff when entertaining more than two people. It goes in the punch. It goes in the shaker, then even more into the glass. It will go into the water, it will go onto the floor. Doesn't matter what, where or how... you need more ice than you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:48 pm 
Kere

Ice.

Trash can. You need somewhere to put the trash generated when making cocktails. You can only use so many spent lime shells as garnish before people start to notice.

Lots of Ice.

Straws. Yes, straws. Doesn't matter what you are mixing, someone is going to ask for a straw. Maybe they have sensitive teeth. Or maybe they just had some general dentistry done and don't it dribbling down their shirt.

Garnishes. If you are going to garnish your drink with anything more elaborate than a cherry or pineapple wedge, prepare them in advance and have them in a container within easy reach. And, you may even be able to prepare your garnished the day before and store in the cold-box.

More Ice.

Water. This is the single most important thing you can have access to for your bar. You will need it for cleaning your tools. You will need it to 'weaken' a drink for the light-weights. You will need to serve it to those that are getting close to crossing the line of having too much. You will need it for yourself because no matter what you call it when you are behind the bar it is still something dangerously close to work. If your water source is a nearby sink, try to keep a clear path to it even if that means yelling 'move' a lot.

Don't forget the ice. You can never have too much of this stuff when entertaining more than two people. It goes in the punch. It goes in the shaker, then even more into the glass. It will go into the water, it will go onto the floor. Doesn't matter what, where or how... you need more ice than you think.

Some of the less obvious things to have in, near, or around the bar when having a party....

Scissors
An extra knife
Matches AND a cigarette lighter.
Toothpicks
An extra bottle opener

Did I mention Ice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:12 pm 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: WTFIBB
Yeah but what about ice?

A toast to Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:41 pm 
Matato'a

Chip and Andy wrote:

Or some of us spent $20 on that lipstick and want to see it last longer than 10 seconds. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:57 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: It wasn't Bohemian!
Wahine Ina wrote:
Chip and Andy wrote:

Or some of us spent $20 on that lipstick and want to see it last longer than 10 seconds. :lol:

PROVE IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:50 pm 
Kere

A couple of recent discussions reminded about this little tip for your bar...

Pen and Paper.

Well.... pencil, marker, crayon, something to write with and something to write on.

If your Grog Log looks like mine there are notes and grades and tid-bits all in the margins. And the stuff I print from the internet, the things people send me, the things I send to people. You get the idea.

As you develop your bar and add ingredients, and therefore drinks and their recipes, it would be nice to be able to remember the next morning what it was that put you under the carpet the night before. And until you get comfortable with a particular ingredient it is much easier to write down the things you like (or don't like) about said ingredient.

And, when you come up with that really kick ass combination of ingredients you must write it down so you can then share it with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:40 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

What do our resident home-bar enthusiasts suggest in the way of juicers and ice crushers? I'd probably prefer manual over electric, but I'm open to suggestion. Are there any brands and styles that you'd recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 am 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

We did the manual ice crushers for a few years. Tried various vintage ones & even a new one. My mom got us an electric one last year that we absolutely LOVE - it's a Waring Pro electric & very nice.

I did want to stay with the manual ones - they look so cool & all - but since we got the electric, I have to admit that we are hooked :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 am 
Honui Moai

I was using a Rival electric ice crusher but after rave reviews from Swanky and others,
I picked up an Oster Snoflake. The Snoflake has a much larger hopper for the finished
ice and will adjust to fine or coarse crushed ice. It's all I use now. You can find them
easily for $5 at thrift shops. They are LOUD though.

I would like to find a good ice shaver for navy grog ice cones & volcanos. Anyone have
a recommendation?

Here's a pic of the Snoflake for reference

ImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:36 am 
Amohino

The other nice thing about the Snoflake is that you can put it over a bucket instead and crush up a large amount for a party. I just happens to fit the top of my ice bucket. Works great. Yes, it is loud, but they all are. Well, all I have used. Just crush in advance for guests.

Ms Swanky recently found something we may get for the bar. At Tuesday Morning of all places. A portable ice maker. About the size of a bread maker with three cude size settings and supposed to make lots of ice. Get a mini fridge, one of these and a crusher, and you are set within a space that will fit under the bar. A few different models on Ebay. This one makes the most, holds the most, makes the fastest, and is cheapest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:28 pm 
Nounou Moai

That looks great.

1 person reviewed it at Amazon and did not have anything good to say about it. 3 bad units in a row...
http://www.amazon.com/Newair-AI-200w-Qu ... B000PSUYXU
Of course, with only 1 review I am not yet a disbeliever.

Nextag lists 44 reviews of the company, 35 of them positive.
http://www.nextag.com/Air-N-Water~42330 ... ainz17-htm

Please let use know how this turns out. I'm very interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next