The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Where's the napalm when you need it?"

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
Dammen and Herren, Mesdames et Messieurs, Ladies and Gentleman, and Bargoyle.......

Fill your glasses and gather around while we remember our Heroes that have lost their lives in humanity's mission to get off this little blue marble of a planet we live upon.

Hero is a word that gets used in a lot of weird ways today but we are going to use it in it's original meaning for someone willing to sacrifice their own personal concerns for a greater good. And our toast today is for the people who did exactly that.

A toast to honor the sacrifice and to cherish the memories of these fine men and women:

Apollo 1, 27 January 1967
Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Ed White, and Roger B. Chaffee

Soyuz 1, 24 April, 1967
Vladimir Komarov

X-15 Flight 3-65-97, 15 November, 1967
Michael J. Adams

Soyuz 11, 30 June, 1971
Georgy Dobrovolsky, Viktor Patsayev, and Vladislav Volkov

STS 51-L, Space Shuttle Challenger, 28 January, 1986
Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Michael J. Smith, and Dick Scobee

STS-107, Space Shuttle Columbia, 1 February, 2003
Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, David M. Brown, Kalpana Chawla, Laurel Clark, and Ilan Ramon

A toast to our truest Heroes!

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/day- ... rance-2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _incidents

https://www.space.com/39486-nasa-day-of ... -2018.html

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Don't forget the four legged sacrifices

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Libertas Meum Fatum!
Flight director Gene Kranz's words to Flight Control following the loss of Grisson, White, and Chaffee have always stuck with me and shaped my sense of professionalism as an engineer:

Quote:
”Spaceflight will never tolerate carelessness, incapacity, and neglect. Somewhere, somehow, we screwed up. It could have been in design, build, or test. Whatever it was, we should have caught it. We were too gung ho about the schedule and we locked out all of the problems we saw each day in our work. Every element of the program was in trouble and so were we. The simulators were not working, Mission Control was behind in virtually every area, and the flight and test procedures changed daily. Nothing we did had any shelf life. Not one of us stood up and said, ‘Dammit, stop!’ I don’t know what Thompson’s committee will find as the cause, but I know what I find. We are the cause! We were not ready! We did not do our job. We were rolling the dice, hoping that things would come together by launch day, when in our hearts we knew it would take a miracle. We were pushing the schedule and betting that the Cape would slip before we did.

From this day forward, Flight Control will be known by two words: ‘Tough’ and ‘Competent.’ Tough means we are forever accountable for what we do or what we fail to do. We will never again compromise our responsibilities. Every time we walk into Mission Control we will know what we stand for. Competent means we will never take anything for granted. We will never be found short in our knowledge and in our skills. Mission Control will be perfect. When you leave this meeting today you will go to your office and the first thing you will do there is to write ‘Tough and Competent’ on your blackboards. It will never be erased. Each day when you enter the room these words will remind you of the price paid by Grissom, White, and Chaffee. These words are the price of admission to the ranks of Mission Control.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Glass raised.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Libertas Meum Fatum!
Also, seems like a good thread to put this on. He didn't die in spaceflight (just...normal flight), but a few years ago, the Russian cosmonauts on the ISS were celebrating Yuri Gagarin by transmitting postcards from space all weekend long. Basically, they're sent like a fax, but by radio. Here's one I snagged from them. I think it's marking what would have been his 80th birthday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:27 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: I once spoke with Elvis
My friend and I skipped school to drive over and watch Columbia... still chokes me up to this day :cry:

Mug raised... mug drained!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Challenger...I was a nugget Ensign, I had been commissioned just 6 months and I was the Squadron Duty Officer. When the shuttle exploded all I could think of is that I should be doing something, anything, to help.

Colombia...I was at a garage sale in Fort Lauderdale and a child came out of the house yelling. We went to see what was the matter and they were showing reruns of the breakup on reentry. I had to wait several hours to find out two friends, who are both astronauts, were not on that mission.

Finally, the day President Obama announced that the shuttle program was ending I felt as let down by something as I ever had.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage