The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/

Christmas cocktails
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21313
Page 1 of 1

Author:  thekazz [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Christmas cocktails

What are your favorite holiday cocktails for these wintry months?

Mostly due to an extreme over-supply of ginger beer, I've been doing this variation on the Dark and Stormy:

1½ ounces dark rum (mostly been doing Goslings or Cruzan, since I've got them lying around
3 ounces ginger beer
1 ounce Sorel liqueur (hibiscus and spice flavored. Tastes kinda like "Christmas tree in a bottle". From the clearance rack at the NH liquor store)
½ ounce lime juice

Author:  roadriverrail [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Down here at Wisdom Chicken Ranch, we've also been drinking our fair share of Dark and Stormy style cocktails. Actually, we brewed our first gallon of hard ginger beer and we're about to start a 5-gallon batch for kegging and carbonating!

That said, when it gets cold out, what I really love is cheap sake served piping hot. Or green tea with a shot of shochu or high-quality vodka.

Author:  the mighty OZ [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Glühwein...served warm with a shot of liquor to add some kick. I like rum, Renee prefers Ameretto but almost any liquor will do. We have our own recipe that includes sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, lemon peel and (sometimes) anise.
Wikipedia wrote:
Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added.

Glühwein mit einem Schuss bitte.

Author:  kiki an'e [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Hot apple cider with a healthy shot of rum
or
cocoa with rum, bourbon, and creme de cacao, topped with whipped cream and a homemade rum cherry.

Author:  kemika_popoki [ Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

I like to make my cheater hot toddies, which are still good, even booze free.

The secret ingredient is Korean Honey Citron tea. It's not dry tea leaves, like I'm used too. Instead, it's a marmalade type thing that comes in a jar. Most Asian markets should have it and it's delicious. Put a spoonful in a mug, add boiling water, and stir. I love that stuff, especially since I don't always keep fresh citrus around.

For my hot toddy, I'll add rum, bourbon, or Fireball, and garnish with a cinnamon stick and some clove.

I've also tried the Grapefruit and Ginger versions. I love grapefruit, but hot grapefruit is kind of weird. The Ginger version is lovely.

Author:  JonTiki [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

roadriverrail wrote:
Down here at Wisdom Chicken Ranch, we've also been drinking our fair share of Dark and Stormy style cocktails. Actually, we brewed our first gallon of hard ginger beer and we're about to start a 5-gallon batch for kegging and carbonating!

That said, when it gets cold out, what I really love is cheap sake served piping hot. Or green tea with a shot of shochu or high-quality vodka.

Author:  JonTiki [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

the mighty OZ wrote:
Glühwein...served warm with a shot of liquor to add some kick. I like rum, Renee prefers Ameretto but almost any liquor will do. We have our own recipe that includes sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, lemon peel and (sometimes) anise.
Wikipedia wrote:
Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added.

Glühwein mit einem Schuss bitte.

Add a shot of Pimento Dram!!

Author:  the mighty OZ [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

JonTiki wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:
Glühwein...served warm with a shot of liquor to add some kick. I like rum, Renee prefers Ameretto but almost any liquor will do. We have our own recipe that includes sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, lemon peel and (sometimes) anise.
Wikipedia wrote:
Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added.

Glühwein mit einem Schuss bitte.

Add a shot of Pimento Dram!!

Well, I have plenty of dram so I’ll try that Saturday.

Author:  TikiTerror [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

This is a hard one... I mark up my seasons with alcohol. I have to say after two years in Iceland, I can't go a Christmas without some julegløgg. Basically mulled wine with a bucha nuts, raisins and spices. In my early 20's it was always whiskey + cider + whatever or wassail. This year I am a Christmas ale fiend, although some rum nogg might take the lead.

Author:  thekazz [ Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

TikiTerror wrote:
This is a hard one... I mark up my seasons with alcohol. I have to say after two years in Iceland, I can't go a Christmas without some julegløgg. Basically mulled wine with a bucha nuts, raisins and spices. In my early 20's it was always whiskey + cider + whatever or wassail. This year I am a Christmas ale fiend, although some rum nogg might take the lead.


I might have to try that sometime. I’ve had several Norwegian gløggs since my wife used to live in Norway.

(Still need to do Iceland at Christmas...)

Author:  JonTiki [ Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

the mighty OZ wrote:
JonTiki wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:
Glühwein...served warm with a shot of liquor to add some kick. I like rum, Renee prefers Ameretto but almost any liquor will do. We have our own recipe that includes sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, lemon peel and (sometimes) anise.
Wikipedia wrote:
Glühwein is usually prepared from red wine, heated and spiced with cinnamon sticks, cloves, star aniseed, citrus, sugar and at times vanilla pods. It is sometimes drunk mit Schuss (with a shot), which means that rum or some other liquor has been added.

Glühwein mit einem Schuss bitte.

Add a shot of Pimento Dram!!

Well, I have plenty of dram so I’ll try that Saturday.

I added it to my Mincemeat Pie this year for Thanksgiving... It's very versatile... :D

Author:  kristiki [ Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Pusser's (Ohana sponsor! :thumbsup: ) emailed this one out this week.

Yule Grog
2 ounces apple cider
2 ounces cranberry juice
2 ounces Pusser's rum
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Mix apple cider, cranberry juice, and brown sugar in a saucepan over heat. Blend well until sugar is dissolved. Pour mix into a mug and stir in 2 ounces of Pusser's rum. Stir well. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

Author:  Rev_Dan [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

I'm still hitting my Thanksgiving cocktail I created pretty hard as it is damn tasty. Still no name for it though

2oz of Apple Cider
1 1/2oz of Kraken 94 Proof Spiced Rum (tried others and wasn't happy with the aftertaste)
1/2oz of fresh squeezed lime
3/4oz of homemade Cinnamon Chipotle Demerara Syrup

Shake with ice, dump into a highball glass, top with tonic water

So good and it'll get ya drunk! :fez:

Author:  the mighty OZ [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Rev_Dan wrote:
3/4oz of homemade Cinnamon Chipotle Demerara Syrup

This sounds interesting, care to share the recipe?

Author:  Rev_Dan [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

the mighty OZ wrote:
Rev_Dan wrote:
3/4oz of homemade Cinnamon Chipotle Demerara Syrup

This sounds interesting, care to share the recipe?


2c-2c Water/demerara sugar ratio
Heat water in pot to hot, but not boiling.
Stir in Demerara sugar until disolves
Steep about 3-4 broken in half cinnamon sticks in while stirring sugar to dissolve
Crack a can of Chipotle peppers open and rinse the Adobo sauce off.
Pull syrup off burner and drop about 2-3 peppers in
Put lid on pot and let steep for about 15-20 minutes with the occasional stirring the syrup/pepper/cinnamon mixture.
Strain into an old rum glass bottle, dump about 1/2-3/4oz of vodka in to stabilize. Refrigerate. About 3 month life

I use this in Test Pilots as well as my Blood of Krampus drink.....

Author:  the mighty OZ [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Rev_Dan wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:
Rev_Dan wrote:
3/4oz of homemade Cinnamon Chipotle Demerara Syrup

This sounds interesting, care to share the recipe?


2c-2c Water/demerara sugar ratio
Heat water in pot to hot, but not boiling.
Stir in Demerara sugar until disolves
Steep about 3-4 broken in half cinnamon sticks in while stirring sugar to dissolve
Crack a can of Chipotle peppers open and rinse the Adobo sauce off.
Pull syrup off burner and drop about 2-3 peppers in
Put lid on pot and let steep for about 15-20 minutes with the occasional stirring the syrup/pepper/cinnamon mixture.
Strain into an old rum glass bottle, dump about 1/2-3/4oz of vodka in to stabilize. Refrigerate. About 3 month life

I use this in Test Pilots as well as my Blood of Krampus drink.....

Thanks, I’ll have to make a batch when I get home.

Author:  rev_thumper [ Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Shots of Jägermeister.

Just kidding. Everyone knows you switch to Bärenjäger in the winter.

Just kidding.

Maybe.

ANYWAY..... I've never gravitated to heated cocktails. In winter I look for heavy dark cocktails that have a molasses tone from using Demerara rums or Black Strap. I also like them straight up. For Christmas add some zip. i.e.:

Quote:
Archibald's Last Memory

1¾oz rye whiskey
¼oz Black Strap rum
½oz Fernet Branca (some recipes call for ¾oz)
½oz Benedictine
1 bar spoon (¼oz) of maraschino liqueur

Fill a bar glass with cracked ice and add ingredients. Stir and strain into an old fashioned glass, neat.

Or you can do something insane and make a Honeycomb.... pour a half shot of Jägermeister and then layer Bärenjäger on top of it.

-Rev

Author:  Vince Martini [ Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Sprite with a few cranberries dropped into the bottle.

:fez:

Author:  AtomicBettie [ Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

last night we made ourselves a couple pomegranate old fashioneds and the were great! we don't normally mess with that cocktail and never muddle fruit in there but this one was nice.
muddle 2tbs of pomegranate with bitters and a bit of sugar
add 2oz of bourbon or rye (we went with Lot 40 rye)
stir, strain and serve!

Envoyé de mon SM-G925W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Author:  chiwito [ Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Coquitos and more coquitos.

Author:  kemika_popoki [ Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

I've been experimenting with making Hot Buttered Rum tonight. First off, I will say using high quality butter makes a difference. I'm using Honey Butter made at a local Georgia dairy. For my second Hot Buttered Rum of the evening, I used Siesta Key Toasted Coconut Rum, which actually works quite well - not as sweet, but with buttery, coconut notes.

Author:  rev_thumper [ Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Just worked up an Ahu's Navy Grog #2. (You'll all know that from the bar at Ohana.)

Oh my, that's nice while I watch the freezing rain come down.

-Rev

Author:  chiwito [ Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

chiwito wrote:
Coquitos and more coquitos.

My very favorite cocktail, but usually only have it during the Holiday season. It is always the featured cocktail at the Happy Capy Hour, my monthly get together at my home tiki bar. The festiveness of any given holiday season is generally dependent on whether or not coquitos are on the seasonal menu at Forbidden Island.

Author:  foredeckape [ Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

You need some homemade Pitorro to make them island style.

Sent from somewhere exotic

Author:  Oceana Nalu [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Christmas cocktails

Here's one I came up with about a year ago for a little project I was working on:

Attachment:
xmas cocktail recipe.PNG


Just noticed can't spell "liqueur"...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/