The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"The Polyphonic Spree are like the Trans Siberian Orchestra...only ALL THE TIME."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:27 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Libertas Meum Fatum!
It's only now dawned on me that a bunch of people who love to drink and wear fezzes might be a fertile ground for finding fellow members of the Church of the Subgenius. So, where my fellow yeti at? I've been believing in the power of Slack for over 20 years and I've been dues-paid for most of them, too. I've even got some art from Dr. Hal hanging on my wall.

I'm Rev. Couchsloth.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's got a dedicated seat on the flying saucers...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:26 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
Praise BobImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:05 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Reverend Thumper and I are Subgenii. :fez:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am 
Hoa Manu

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: To Taua Na Moai!
Too Cool!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Life Day makes Turbo cry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
Tourist

Johnny Dollar wrote:

I'm ordained in the Church of the SubGenius, and I've used my credential to perform a couple of weddings, but I have no idea where it is now. Thanks for the reminder; I should go look for it. Not likely that I'll ever need to perform any more weddings, but you never know.
Chiwito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:29 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: Down with Pants!
I do my part to keep up the slack.

My part is, of course, as little as possible and I do it very well!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Hakuna matata ♩♬♩
I’m all for slack. This sounds much more Entertaining than the universal life church. Why have I never heard of this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 pm 
Tourist

Skillbilly wrote:
I’m all for slack. This sounds much more Entertaining than the universal life church. Why have I never heard of this?

It'll change your life, my friend! http://www.subgenius.com

I also strongly recommend their podcast, "The Hour of Slack." Find a back-episode where Dr. Hal is giving answers and pontificating!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Speaking of the Church....... I might need to support this Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049586998/the-church-of-the-subgenius-a-documentary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 am 
Tourist

rev_thumper wrote:
Speaking of the Church....... I might need to support this Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049586998/the-church-of-the-subgenius-a-documentary

It's a worthy cause with a *massive* goal for the supporter base to reach. Every bit helps!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm 
Tourist

Coincidence. I just got a call from a friend of mine in Chapala, Mexico. She is getting married in the spring and wants me to perform the ceremony. Now I have a firm deadline for finding my subgenius ministerial certificate or getting a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:59 pm 
Tourist

chiwito wrote:
Coincidence. I just got a call from a friend of mine in Chapala, Mexico. She is getting married in the spring and wants me to perform the ceremony. Now I have a firm deadline for finding my subgenius ministerial certificate or getting a new one.

Is the wedding taking place in Mexico? If it's in the US, what state?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am 
Tourist

roadriverrail wrote:
chiwito wrote:

Is the wedding taking place in Mexico? If it's in the US, what state?

It is in Mexico. They probably won't register the marriage or have a civil ceremony. They just want to go through a wedding because they find it a hassle to explain to people that they are just partners and want to call themselves married. The bride is fairly religious, so even though she understands that my ministerial credentials are not from mainstream denominations, she wants me to be a little more serious and sober-minded than is my natural wont.

The bride knows that my natural instinct would be a little more informal, even for a more official wedding. She was "best man" at my wedding, which was held at a tiki bar. We had a Hawaiian band for the first three hours and a Buffett style Caribbean rock band for the other three. We had boats on the estuary. The bar hired a Hawaiian barbg outfit to roast a pig. They built a cinder block structure in the parking lot and filled it with lava rocks so they could bury the pig without digging up any asphalt. Unknown to either of us, our dogs showed up. The following week, I was talking to my favorite bartender at the place, and he said "Gee, I wish I had known they were there. You know how much I love your dogs" [the dogs were regulars at the bar]. I asked how he hadn't seen them. He said "there was so much going on that I never noticed them". I said "Chad, thank you. I've always aspired to throw the kind of party where people don't even notice a 185 pound dog on the dance floor". I'm pretty sure that the wedding down in Chapala with be a little smaller and less noisy.

Chiwito

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm 
Tourist

chiwito wrote:
It is in Mexico. They probably won't register the marriage or have a civil ceremony. They just want to go through a wedding because they find it a hassle to explain to people that they are just partners and want to call themselves married. The bride is fairly religious, so even though she understands that my ministerial credentials are not from mainstream denominations, she wants me to be a little more serious and sober-minded than is my natural wont.

The bride knows that my natural instinct would be a little more informal, even for a more official wedding. She was "best man" at my wedding, which was held at a tiki bar. We had a Hawaiian band for the first three hours and a Buffett style Caribbean rock band for the other three. We had boats on the estuary. The bar hired a Hawaiian barbg outfit to roast a pig. They built a cinder block structure in the parking lot and filled it with lava rocks so they could bury the pig without digging up any asphalt. Unknown to either of us, our dogs showed up. The following week, I was talking to my favorite bartender at the place, and he said "Gee, I wish I had known they were there. You know how much I love your dogs" [the dogs were regulars at the bar]. I asked how he hadn't seen them. He said "there was so much going on that I never noticed them". I said "Chad, thank you. I've always aspired to throw the kind of party where people don't even notice a 185 pound dog on the dance floor". I'm pretty sure that the wedding down in Chapala with be a little smaller and less noisy.

Chiwito

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't know anything about Mexican marriage law. I do know in some states in the US you do not need to produce documentation of your status as a minister provided you can show that there is some religious community or another that recognizes you as having the necessary authority. Technically for a Subgenius, it's enough to just find another one to say so...though you're also unlikely to get questioned.

My wife (Prof. Babealon) and I did a tag-team Subgenius wedding in the back of a tiki bar once. Only time I've married anyone. It was amusing to say the least.

As for our own wedding, as a native Floridian, I fought tooth and nail to avoid the old trope of "married on the beach, reception at the country club" only to...get married on Clearwater Beach and have the reception at the brunch buffet of the nearby country club. It's such a trope, but it also is a fairly pretty way to keep a wedding inexpensive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 pm 
Matu'u

Remember that thanks to "Bob" and the ULC you can always layer a Universal Life Church ordainment on your Doktorate of the Forbidden Sciences and pretty much perform a wedding anywhere in the United States.

I prefer to only use my status as a Doktor to perform Short Duration Marriages.

-Rev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm 
Tourist

rev_thumper wrote:
Remember that thanks to "Bob" and the ULC you can always layer a Universal Life Church ordainment on your Doktorate of the Forbidden Sciences and pretty much perform a wedding anywhere in the United States.

Yeah, but the question is whether or not you've got to find your ULC credential. In some states, you don't, as long as the participants will claim that they recognized your authority at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 am 
Tourist

Quote:

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't know anything about Mexican marriage law. I do know in some states in the US you do not need to produce documentation of your status as a minister provided you can show that there is some religious community or another that recognizes you as having the necessary authority. Technically for a Subgenius, it's enough to just find another one to say so...though you're also unlikely to get questioned.

My wife (Prof. Babealon) and I did a tag-team Subgenius wedding in the back of a tiki bar once. Only time I've married anyone. It was amusing to say the least.

As for our own wedding, as a native Floridian, I fought tooth and nail to avoid the old trope of "married on the beach, reception at the country club" only to...get married on Clearwater Beach and have the reception at the brunch buffet of the nearby country club. It's such a trope, but it also is a fairly pretty way to keep a wedding inexpensive.

California is relatively wide open I believe. I've performed about half a dozen weddings, and to the best of my recollection I didn't have to list any denomination when I signed the license. If I am wrong about that, I know that there wasn't any additional documentation beyond my signing the license. However, I always like to have my credentials so that the wedding party and guests can be confident that I am at least a little bit legit.

Chiwito

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Tourist

chiwito wrote:
Quote:
California is relatively wide open I believe. I've performed about half a dozen weddings, and to the best of my recollection I didn't have to list any denomination when I signed the license. If I am wrong about that, I know that there wasn't any additional documentation beyond my signing the license. However, I always like to have my credentials so that the wedding party and guests can be confident that I am at least a little bit legit.

It was California I was thinking of, actually. Our tag-team Subgenius wedding ceremony was in back of Forbidden Island in Alameda.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm 
Tourist

roadriverrail wrote:

It was California I was thinking of, actually. Our tag-team Subgenius wedding ceremony was in back of Forbidden Island in Alameda.

Do I know you in real life? Or did I, in your Alameda days? And what is a tag team wedding?

chiwito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 pm 
Tourist

chiwito wrote:
Do I know you in real life? Or did I, in your Alameda days? And what is a tag team wedding?
chiwito

You might have, in one way or another. We only moved to Atlanta a year ago. Heck, I'm still back every six weeks and usually at one of the tiki bar haunts. I was also involved in the local curling league and the local roller derby league.

It was "tag team" in the sense that Prof. Babealon and I conducted the ceremony as a tag team. We tagged one another in for different parts of it, especially while making up the "homily".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ohanu now!
The Church has a steep history here in Little Rock. I would tell you more, but that requires work...and I am tired.

Tim Moritz may also still be a card carrying corpse.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 pm 
Matu'u

Vince Martini wrote:
Tim Moritz may also still be a card carrying corpse.

Once you're in the SubGenius Book of Life there's no way out.

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: There was one?
Never a card carrier. Very active Sub Genius activity in Little Rock for many years (probably because it all started in Dallas).
I do remember seeing Doctors For Bob in the late 80's... and reading Sub Genius newsletters as far back as 1983 (?) or so.
I've been a known musical associate of St. Sterno Keckhaver, Rev. Brooks Caruthers and Rev. Janor Hypercleets and met Stang on one or two occasions also.
I am also aware of the existence of and witnessed the launching of the Bloody Head of Arnold Palmer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 am 
Tourist

TikiMo wrote:
I do remember seeing Doctors For Bob in the late 80's... and reading Sub Genius newsletters as far back as 1983 (?) or so.
I've been a known musical associate of St. Sterno Keckhaver, Rev. Brooks Caruthers and Rev. Janor Hypercleets and met Stang on one or two occasions also.
I am also aware of the existence of and witnessed the launching of the Bloody Head of Arnold Palmer.

This is my jealous face. Totally is.