The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"It probably wasn't a good idea to give me administrative access."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiki Trail DC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm 
Fellow Moai

Eight--count-em--8(!!!) DC bars have organized a month-long tiki treasure hunt--aka [b]Tiki Trail DC/b]. Participating bars are: Archipelago (full-on tiki spot); Cotton & Reed (rum distillery/bar); The Good Silver; Hogo (tiki by the Passenger peeps); McClellan's Retreat (Civil War humor?); Quarter + Glory; Service Bar and Truxton Inn. The concept is each place is featuring at least one high-quality tiki cocktail (most featuring more--Truxton clocks in with 12!!!). You order one (expected cost $9-$12 each, more if it's in a pineapple) & receive a stamp that you paste into a map-style "passport" that you pick up at your first stop. Collect all 8 and you're a winner: free admission to a special tiki-themed party on September 3rd. You have to figure out where the party will be from clues you receive at each bar. Gonna try to do this--now, who's with me?

Post subject: Re: Tiki Trail DC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
Sounds awesome. Keep us posted on your progress.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:14 pm 
Tourist

Ooooh fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
That sounds cool!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 am 
Kere

Personal Statement: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Who is your designated driver? :fez:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive-by body pierce

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:23 am 
Protector of the Golden Witco

Personal Statement: LIGHTS OUT!
That sounds awesome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm 
Fellow Moai

Er, Uber . . Urp!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm 
Matato'a

Sounds like tons of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:02 pm 
Fellow Moai

Hitting Cotton & Reed & Truxton Inn on Monday (8/14)--maybe Archipelago on the way home? It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it! :drunk:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:16 pm 
Fellow Moai

Update: Have hit 4 destinations so far (Truxton, Service Bar, Archipelago & McClellan's). My take: Truxton really disappointing--their advertised 12 drink tiki menu was only half that & the 3 drinks I sampled were meh--especially the Mai Tai. Guess they're more focused on their new-found notoriety as the scene where that douche-y guy scheduled 6 serial dates 20 minutes apart. :barf: Service Bar had good attitude, but the couple of tiki drinks they offered were pretty uneventful. [ed. I'm thinking part of the problem is these places are using sponsor rums (Cotton & Reed, Brugal) that just aren't very good.] Archipelago was Archipelago--they're a great local tiki bar (lucky to have them!), but they didn't offer anything for the event apart from their standard drink menu. Clear winner was McClellan's--they put a lot of effort into decor, offered 6 special drinks prepared with great care/fanfare (tasty too--they advertised the sponsor rums, but I don't think they actually used them), and had great enthusiasm for the project.

Plan to hit Hogo, Quarter and Glory & The Good Silver (formerly Kangaroo Boxing Club) Wednesday (8/23) with a visiting Cali tiki-phile. Stay tuned . . .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm 
Fellow Moai

Further update: Three more down, only one to go. Last night was Hogo, Quarter and Glory & The Good Silver. Also revisited McClellan's (hey, it was kinda on the way!) to see if the aloha endured. So . . . like Archipelago, Hogo's a full-on tiki spot, so they have a real leg up on most of the other spots. Unlike Archipelago, however, Hogo actually put some extra effort into the Tiki Trail & offered some special drinks for the event. Very nice Hurricane--and the bartender comped us a couple of excellent off menu Mai Tais (made with the good stuff), so kudos for extra effort! Delight was short-lived, though, because Quarter and Glory was completely lame. No decor, no special drinks, nada, bupkiss. Displaced Truxton Inn as worst of the lot. But a quick detour to McClellan's got us back on track. Same great experience as the first visit--even though the entire bar staff was different. I repeat: Best in Show! The Good Silver put in a good effort too, with 4 specialty drinks, an assortment of tiki mugs & an enthusiastic crew. No tiki ambiance, but a more than respectable effort.

Cotton & Reed next Wednesday will fill my dance card. Hmmm . . . where do all the clues suggest the secret location for the September 3rd party will be?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm 
Protector of the Golden Witco

Personal Statement: LIGHTS OUT!
You're doing the Tiki Gods' work!!! :thumbsup:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm 
Fellow Moai

Final Report?: hit the 8th & final stop, Cotton and Reed (Bar & Rum Distillery), on the Tiki Trail last night. Pretty anti-climactic. No tiki quotient whatsoever, odd "feature" cocktails, and a "guest" bartender whom I recognized as the one I had on my first stop (Truxton Inn), which was, up until Cotton and Reed, the lamest of the lot. But at least Truxton had a big bright tiki statue outside the door--Cotton and Reed had nothing . . anywhere.

So, am I going to use my filled-out pass to attend the special Saturday (9/2) tiki party? Nope. Not worth it--even if it's free, which I seriously doubt. I'm giving my pass to a fellow Moai, but I'm cautioning him that I can't recommend attending to the wrap party based on my overall Tiki Trail experience.

I give the whole thing 2 out of 5 torches, based on good experiences @ McClellan's & Hogo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 pm 
Fellow Moai

Corrections--Quarter & Glory was lamer than Truxton (and Cotton & Reed, if that's possible)--so much so that I forgot all about (blocked?) it until I re-read my previous report. :pieface: And I'm upping my overall rating to 2.5 torches based on The Good Silver's efforts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: yeah, well....
LOVE this idea!! Might "steal" some of your ideas for a similar event in Toronto. ;)

-Old Mr. Hanalei