The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Doug is the FOM version of Dr. Manhattan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Norwegian connection
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Life: too short for beige
I had a debate last year with one of my customers (I own a MCM furnture store, but we're closed for a few months while we look for a new location) about the Norwegian connection to tiki...namely Thor Heyerdahl. This came up because I had described this Witco style piece as being good for a tiki bar and this customer said it wasn't tiki because it depicted a trio of Viking ships, and Vikings have nothing to do with tiki culture. I argeud that it did have a connection to tiki due to Thor Heyerdahl being Norwegian and Kon-tiki...you get the gist. I still think it's tiki and I still have this piece (in storage with the rest of my shop's inventory) and I think we may keep it.
So what do you all think? Are viking ships tiki? Do they belong in a tiki bar?
https://www.facebook.com/Ethelstore/photos/a.178139318900158.35695.177906975590059/1016867681693980/?type=3&theater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51 pm 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
To me, nautical carvings--especially Witco--are certainly in the spirit of tiki, if not tiki themselves. I don't generally get too hung up on "what is tiki." :) I have all kinds of crap that doesn't belong (Mayan stuff, Kokopelli) in my tiki room.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: Life: too short for beige
Exactly! This was the point I was trying to make! The customer was jus so insistent that the Thor Heyerdahl connection wasn't valid enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 am 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

This would be my reply to that customer:

Attachment:
bill_murray-stripes1981-1390.jpg

But, seriously, the era + witco + nautical/water + Thor + the style. It would fit well in any tiki bar. Just because it doesn't literally have a tiki on it does not exclude it :roll: :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: WTFIBB
I find a "Tikified" area more interesting if it has other elements besides just Tiki. I've snuck in some of my other passions into our decor, such as old horror/sci fi movies.

A toast to Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
When you allow a viking ship Witco in the tiki bar, it starts the descent down the slippery slope that ends with akvavit in your suffering bastard.

Is the customer saying you are misrepresenting the piece? It's not like the provenance of a woven jade screen is in question in Florida.

People who exclude interesting art from their Tiki bars because they are concerned about what others think is or is not tiki are destined to have very boring, bland, beige tiki bars which are not tiki. The whole can be less than the sum of the parts.

Btw, only Swedish art can be true Scandinavian tiki.

Skoal!

Sent from somewhere exotic

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Put coconut rum on snow!
I think that is an awesome piece. I'm not going to lie my tiki stuff has a strong Norwegian theme with it (Norwegian trolls). I was in Norway last summer where I saw the signs for the Kon-tiki museum and became very excited (I didn't know anything about it) my Norwegian friend was really confused, explained what the Kon-tiki museum was about and I explained tiki culture (I don't think she fully understood perhaps due to language barriers?) I would hang it in my tiki room. (if I had one instead of a random collection)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:55 am 
Kere

This...

Princess Pupule wrote:
This would be my reply to that customer:

Attachment:
bill_murray-stripes1981-1390.jpg
Just because it doesn't literally have a tiki on it does not exclude it :roll: :roll:

And this...

Riptide wrote:
I find a "Tikified" area more interesting if it has other elements besides just Tiki. I've snuck in some of my other passions into our decor, such as old horror/sci fi movies.

I find the idea that a Tiki Bar, especially your own personal Tiki Bar, has to conform to a specific set of rules or aesthetic guidelines to be absolutely ridiculous.
My tiki bar incorporates all kinds of eclectic items. And there are some things that are not even remotely tiki, that for whatever reason, have bled over into the culture. The Creature from the Black Lagoon being the first thing that comes to mind.

Hell, even the fez is inherently a "tiki" item but we all seem to have adopted it without question.

Subtle nuances are for pussies.

FOM MC- PRESIDENT
Scroties

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am 
Tagata Ao

Personal Statement: cromagnon ohio thugs
I would proudly hang that piece in my basement tiki bar, then make Viking Fogcutters.

Also, check out how close the Kon-Tiki Museum and Viking Ship Museum are to each other in Oslo.
Attachment:
OSLO.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:44 pm 
Honui Moai

I think aesthetic ultra-purity can be extremely awesome, but practically unobtainable.

I have what I call a "Witco room", and I intended to only add Witco items that were Tiki. Then, because there's also a piano in that room, I decided some Witco musical instruments would work too (still looking). Then I stumbled upon a bench in the wild that was Witco, but not necessarily Tiki, then a Witco cat or two along the way, and then I realized I'd owned one of those Witco iron sculptures of a Spanish Knight like Don Quixote for ever. They're all in the Witco room.

If I'd only used Witco Tiki items, it certainly would have been really awesome, but I don't think I'd give up any of those pieces. (maybe one of the two long necked horse magazine racks) ;-)

I suppose if I were uber rich I probably would have an exclusively Tiki Tiki Lounge, but I think I'd have to have a hybrid one too!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:54 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Decorate how you want with what you like. From TheGraniteTiki's WITCO room, to Princess P's Velvet Elvis Loo (and the rest of her bar) or my own Kapu Cove, every room will be personalized and different...and awesome.
OZ :fez:

PS: Yes, I have some conquistador pieces, a sword, guitar and sailboat mural, all WITCO, and all displayed.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage