The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You have strong opinions and like to drink."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 pm 
Fellow Moai

Personal Statement: yeah, well....
We are attending our first TIKI OASIS this August. Any other FOMs going to TIKI O this year (2017)?

Also, any advice for our first time from vets is appreciated?

Yeah, we already know that it's super crowded and stuff .... but anything beyond that might be helpful for our first trip down there.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 am 
Fellow Moai

I'm not FOM, but my gf and I are going this year. We got a room at the crowne plaza!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Fellow Moai

AlohaEric wrote:
I'm not FOM, but my gf and I are going this year. We got a room at the crowne plaza!

Awesome!! Great that you got a room at the CP. I had a poolside room all lined up... hit "checkout" and pay! and then.... loading...loading... loading.... pffft..... 404 Server ERROR and I was booted out. Of course the next pass trying to book and it was SOLD OUT. So, consequently we are at the Comfort Inn or whatever next door. Am on the waiting list for CP cancellations, but that's been a no-go so far. Ah well... still looking forward to a great weekend.

Hopefully run in to you guys there.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
Fellow Moai

Aloha Pete!
We made the mistake of booking too many symposiums...with the wait before each just to enter the room (can be over an hour!) we would have spent our whole Oasis inside.
We had to skip some, unfortunately... I also had one booked at 9am on saturday, I still have no clue on what possessed me to do that! haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm 
Fellow Moai

AtomicBettie wrote:
Aloha Pete!
We made the mistake of booking too many symposiums...with the wait before each just to enter the room (can be over an hour!) we would have spent our whole Oasis inside.
We had to skip some, unfortunately... I also had one booked at 9am on saturday, I still have no clue on what possessed me to do that! haha

Thanks so much for the tip Gen.... We (reluctantly) went light on the symposium bookings forseeing exactly what you described. With our crappy east coast weather this summer, I want to maximize our time in the sun as much as possible when we are down there.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 pm 
Fellow Moai

My girlfriend is performing Saturday night in the Burlesque show. We didn't book too many symposiums... maybe 4 or 5. So much I want to see and do. We made reservations at Grass Skirt and False Idol (they both opened reservations yesterday so do it now!). And of course will be at Bali Hai Thursday night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm 
Fellow Moai

AlohaEric wrote:
My girlfriend is performing Saturday night in the Burlesque show. We didn't book too many symposiums... maybe 4 or 5. So much I want to see and do. We made reservations at Grass Skirt and False Idol (they both opened reservations yesterday so do it now!). And of course will be at Bali Hai Thursday night.

NICE! What's your gf's Burlesque name? We will make sure we are there to catch her show.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Fellow Moai

Tarana-Pete wrote:
AlohaEric wrote:

NICE! What's your gf's Burlesque name? We will make sure we are there to catch her show.

Frenchy LaRouge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Fellow Moai

Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm 
Fellow Moai

Tarana-Pete wrote:
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 pm 
Fellow Moai

Is anyone attending who might be able/willing to score me 2 of those awesome Hanalei mugs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:11 pm 
Fellow Moai

AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee

Thanks for another great tip Gen! Could only get a really early afternoon reservation, but at least we got one.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:42 pm 
Fellow Moai

Tarana-Pete wrote:
AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:

Thanks for another great tip Gen! Could only get a really early afternoon reservation, but at least we got one.

Early afternoon reservation?! We will be snapped by the time the event starts that night! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm 
Fellow Moai

Polly Nesia wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:
AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:

Early afternoon reservation?! We will be snapped by the time the event starts that night! :shock:

Isn't THAT the whole idea? :drunk: We snag a good spot and camp out there all night. 8)

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm 
Fellow Moai

We got reservations at 5:30. I am trying to understand how the whole event works. I assume reservations gives you a dinner table, but the Tiki Oasis party/event/music/etc is all downstairs, correct? do you just walk down there at will, or do you have to wait in line?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
Fellow Moai

AlohaEric wrote:
I assume reservations gives you a dinner table, but the Tiki Oasis party/event/music/etc is all downstairs, correct? do you just walk down there at will, or do you have to wait in line?

That's right! your reservation is only for dinner. The shows and all the action will take place downstairs and outside. You'll also be able to do your registration there for the weekend. If I remember correctly, without your bracelet, you won't be able to get to the pre-party.
Other than that, enjoy!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am 
Honui Moai

I'm going to be at Tiki Oasis as well. We haven't missed one since 2010. Always have a blast. This year we're trying out staying at the King's Inn across the highway. (Home of the famous Waffle Spot!) I'll also be vending the magazine all weekend. Stop by and say hello!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 pm 
Fellow Moai

Java wrote:
I'm going to be at Tiki Oasis as well. We haven't missed one since 2010. Always have a blast. This year we're trying out staying at the King's Inn across the highway. (Home of the famous Waffle Spot!) I'll also be vending the magazine all weekend. Stop by and say hello!

Will stop by your booth for sure, Java! Been subscribing to the mag for a while now, so probably not missing a lot of back issues. Would sure dig being able to pick up one of the Bachelor Pad MUGs though if you will have any. Really looking forward to meeting you.

-Old Mr. Hanalei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm 
Tourist

I'm so jealous of everyone going to Oasis. I think I'm going to skip Viva next year and go to Oasis instead. I'm way more into tiki surf than rockabilly pinup.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Fellow Moai

lunarlimelight wrote:
I'm so jealous of everyone going to Oasis. I think I'm going to skip Viva next year and go to Oasis instead. I'm way more into tiki surf than rockabilly pinup.

YES! Do it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 pm 
Tourist

That's the plan! I would go this year except there are no tickets left :(