The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You have strong opinions and like to drink."


Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
We are attending our first TIKI OASIS this August. Any other FOMs going to TIKI O this year (2017)?

Also, any advice for our first time from vets is appreciated?

Yeah, we already know that it's super crowded and stuff .... but anything beyond that might be helpful for our first trip down there.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
Posts: 50
I'm not FOM, but my gf and I are going this year. We got a room at the crowne plaza!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
AlohaEric wrote:
I'm not FOM, but my gf and I are going this year. We got a room at the crowne plaza!


Awesome!! Great that you got a room at the CP. I had a poolside room all lined up... hit "checkout" and pay! and then.... loading...loading... loading.... pffft..... 404 Server ERROR and I was booted out. Of course the next pass trying to book and it was SOLD OUT. So, consequently we are at the Comfort Inn or whatever next door. Am on the waiting list for CP cancellations, but that's been a no-go so far. Ah well... still looking forward to a great weekend.

Hopefully run in to you guys there.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am
Posts: 184
Aloha Pete!
We made the mistake of booking too many symposiums...with the wait before each just to enter the room (can be over an hour!) we would have spent our whole Oasis inside.
We had to skip some, unfortunately... I also had one booked at 9am on saturday, I still have no clue on what possessed me to do that! haha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
AtomicBettie wrote:
Aloha Pete!
We made the mistake of booking too many symposiums...with the wait before each just to enter the room (can be over an hour!) we would have spent our whole Oasis inside.
We had to skip some, unfortunately... I also had one booked at 9am on saturday, I still have no clue on what possessed me to do that! haha



Thanks so much for the tip Gen.... We (reluctantly) went light on the symposium bookings forseeing exactly what you described. With our crappy east coast weather this summer, I want to maximize our time in the sun as much as possible when we are down there.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
Posts: 50
My girlfriend is performing Saturday night in the Burlesque show. We didn't book too many symposiums... maybe 4 or 5. So much I want to see and do. We made reservations at Grass Skirt and False Idol (they both opened reservations yesterday so do it now!). And of course will be at Bali Hai Thursday night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
AlohaEric wrote:
My girlfriend is performing Saturday night in the Burlesque show. We didn't book too many symposiums... maybe 4 or 5. So much I want to see and do. We made reservations at Grass Skirt and False Idol (they both opened reservations yesterday so do it now!). And of course will be at Bali Hai Thursday night.



NICE! What's your gf's Burlesque name? We will make sure we are there to catch her show.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
Posts: 50
Tarana-Pete wrote:
AlohaEric wrote:
My girlfriend is performing Saturday night in the Burlesque show. We didn't book too many symposiums... maybe 4 or 5. So much I want to see and do. We made reservations at Grass Skirt and False Idol (they both opened reservations yesterday so do it now!). And of course will be at Bali Hai Thursday night.



NICE! What's your gf's Burlesque name? We will make sure we are there to catch her show.


Frenchy LaRouge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:18 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am
Posts: 184
Tarana-Pete wrote:
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:07 pm
Posts: 619
Location: Washington, DC
Is anyone attending who might be able/willing to score me 2 of those awesome Hanalei mugs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee



Thanks for another great tip Gen! Could only get a really early afternoon reservation, but at least we got one.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:42 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:23 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tarana-Pete wrote:
AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee



Thanks for another great tip Gen! Could only get a really early afternoon reservation, but at least we got one.


Early afternoon reservation?! We will be snapped by the time the event starts that night! :shock:

_________________
My mother told me to pick YOUUUUUU!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:49 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
Polly Nesia wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:
AtomicBettie wrote:
Tarana-Pete wrote:
Is a reservation needed for the Bali Hai Thursday night event? Are there hotel shuttles to the Bali Hai?

Yes! reserve asap! We reserved early last year and got an awesome spot with a view on the water side and could watch the sunset, the seals play in the water, the full moon...man, i want to go back! heehee



Thanks for another great tip Gen! Could only get a really early afternoon reservation, but at least we got one.


Early afternoon reservation?! We will be snapped by the time the event starts that night! :shock:



Isn't THAT the whole idea? :drunk: We snag a good spot and camp out there all night. 8)

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
Posts: 50
We got reservations at 5:30. I am trying to understand how the whole event works. I assume reservations gives you a dinner table, but the Tiki Oasis party/event/music/etc is all downstairs, correct? do you just walk down there at will, or do you have to wait in line?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am
Posts: 184
AlohaEric wrote:
I assume reservations gives you a dinner table, but the Tiki Oasis party/event/music/etc is all downstairs, correct? do you just walk down there at will, or do you have to wait in line?


That's right! your reservation is only for dinner. The shows and all the action will take place downstairs and outside. You'll also be able to do your registration there for the weekend. If I remember correctly, without your bracelet, you won't be able to get to the pre-party.
Other than that, enjoy!! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 698
Location: Champaign, Illinois
I'm going to be at Tiki Oasis as well. We haven't missed one since 2010. Always have a blast. This year we're trying out staying at the King's Inn across the highway. (Home of the famous Waffle Spot!) I'll also be vending the magazine all weekend. Stop by and say hello!

_________________
Listen to The Bachelor Pad Radio Show Friday's 10pm-Midnight (central time): http://s9.viastreaming.net/7510/.
Oh, and get a subscription to Bachelor Pad Magazine already! http://www.bachelorpadmagazine.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 am
Posts: 61
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personal Statement: yeah, well....
Java wrote:
I'm going to be at Tiki Oasis as well. We haven't missed one since 2010. Always have a blast. This year we're trying out staying at the King's Inn across the highway. (Home of the famous Waffle Spot!) I'll also be vending the magazine all weekend. Stop by and say hello!


Will stop by your booth for sure, Java! Been subscribing to the mag for a while now, so probably not missing a lot of back issues. Would sure dig being able to pick up one of the Bachelor Pad MUGs though if you will have any. Really looking forward to meeting you.

_________________
"When I was young, my father told me of an ancient burial ground.
He said to never go there, I never go!"

-Old Mr. Hanalei


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:09 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbus, Oh
I'm so jealous of everyone going to Oasis. I think I'm going to skip Viva next year and go to Oasis instead. I'm way more into tiki surf than rockabilly pinup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:23 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
lunarlimelight wrote:
I'm so jealous of everyone going to Oasis. I think I'm going to skip Viva next year and go to Oasis instead. I'm way more into tiki surf than rockabilly pinup.


YES! Do it!!!

_________________
My mother told me to pick YOUUUUUU!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TIKI OASIS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:16 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:09 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Columbus, Oh
That's the plan! I would go this year except there are no tickets left :(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: z~Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr