The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"You have strong opinions and like to drink."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I like fun.
Hiya! My husband Dan (RaroDANgo) and I just acquired this Witco piece from waaaaay over in western Ohio (we're in Pittsburgh). Darling Lucky (Lucky) and Dan made the trek, and hit up Porco and Grass Skirt on the trip too! We acquired it from a guy whose sister had originally purchased it new around 1970. We have a local friend (Pittsburgh Paulie) who has the same bar, so we have some handy local source material.

So, now we have the task of restoring this baby. I checked out some threads on tikicentral and other places and found that we need (but we're SUPER into hearing your input and feedback):

-Tung or teak oil (though the original Witco directions recommend linseed blended with turpentine, but I think that's more of an ongoing upkeep mix).

-Minwax stain (Special Walnut). It's been outside for many years and is sunbleached.

-A propane torch with a wide head and a metal brush

-Leopard print fabric to reupholster. (Though, I was thinking it might look wonderful with a light green woven grass fabric. It's not the same as the original, but I think it would give it some character?)

-Red Cedar to fill in missing pieces (the guy gave us a few filler pieces).

So, we need to know how to remove the face on the front. I am good with the reupholstering part of the project, even the seat cushions. Lucky is coming over Sunday to train us on torching the wood to clean up some bad pieces.

Also, what to do with the sconces/torches? They seem to be from the Conquistador line, but I'm struggling to find any source material for restoration.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help! You're all the best! Mahalo!!!

Pictures below!

Last edited by JessicaChaCha on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:34 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Personal Statement: Love who you are.
This pic shows the facade. Sunbleachy goodness.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59FC0553

Last edited by RaroDANga on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Here's a shot of the stools

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A10738C

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Closeup of the stools
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59CED957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Torch sconces that he threw in with it. From the Conquistador series, and any help in tracking the series down would be great!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A0C19A8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:56 am 
Fellow Moai

Wow! What a find!! Look like they need a good cleanup. some fresh gel stain...Beautiful Bar!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 am 
Fellow Moai

great find!!
We recently got our hands on a big outrigger frame at a local antique store (got it for a song!) and we restored it with teak oil. Gave it a new life!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
Nice Witco Bar! I just sold an old Conquistador style bar and got this one:

It needed a little work on the front painted panels (one replacement) and a good cleaning. I started with a MINWAX cleaning product and that didn't give me the results I wanted. I tried a turpentine/teak oil mix (I had some from an old boat I owned) to clean it up and that worked very well.

I'm still working on the panels on the front (hard to see but there are four different colors), I'm going to pull them out, repaint on one side and put a fabric on the other. When I remount them, I'll make it so the panels can be flipped with minimal effort.

I have not used the torch/wire brush method so I have no experience with that.

Oh, and yes, the stools need to be recovered so I still have to work on that.

Good luck and I'm sure it will turn out great!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm 
Manawale'a Motuha

Aloha! FABULOUS Bar!!!
Congrats on the score!

& I have used the torch & wire brush method......

Attachment:
15894453_10154377551351693_2252050444387124450_n.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_3170.jpg

For what you're doing, you probably don't need the big old flame thrower, you can use one of these, instead, which we used for torching our bamboo & smaller jobs:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-High-Intensity-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit/50126437

After torching it (no need to make it super black for your purposes), brush with a cheap wire grill brush (I think HD had the cheapest, if I remember right....we went through 2 of them....). Then we used the minwax poly in the blue can, diluted 50% with water to put on as a finish. It's a matte finish, which is what you'll want. If you use the finish, no need to worry about getting 100% of the stuff that you brush off off the boards, as it will mix with the minwax & fill in all the router voids, making them black :)

You can choose to use that final finish or not - I think most Witco did not come with that type of finish - but it looks great on new stuff like we did:

Attachment:
IMG_7314.jpg

Fresh minwax finish applied:

Attachment:
IMG_7317.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_7452.jpg

We also use this stuff to keep all of our witco looking good & moisturized - we re-apply roughly yearly, depending on the piece & how dried out it is, but also depends on whether you are in a more humid or dry climate:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKQYGW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think both HD & Lowe's carry it as well.

Hope that helps!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage