The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Doug is the FOM version of Dr. Manhattan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Put coconut rum on snow!
Aloha and Bonjour!

Hi y'all,
I live in Plattsburgh NY on the Adirondack Coast of Lake Champlain about 20 minutes away from the Quebec border. Husband and I won't be making Ohana down in Lake George this year but I was just curious if any of y'all ever make it up this way because there is a new tiki bar in Montreal! It's called The Snow Bird. Haven't been myself yet but would love to meet some of you fine folks over a tasty beverage. My husband and I have only been up here in the land of ice and snow for about 3 years, I'm originally from Atlanta and I miss Trader Vic's and the Starlight Drive in something fierce. Anyway this is my first post and I'm just hoping to meet some people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am 
Fellow Moai

Aloha! Atlanta to Plattsburgh--geez, what a shock that must be! I have friends in Montreal--though not tiki folks--and hope to get up there some time late this Fall. Also usually get to the Lake Placid area for some trout fishing a couple of times a year. In the meantime, please tell us more about yourself & your journeys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
We are a bit south of you in New Hampshire. A trip to the Snowbird is being plotted. We'll keep this thread posted!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:34 pm 
Fellow Moai

Make the trip to Snow Bird! I hear you won't be disappointed.

ChavaDevorahRut wrote:
Aloha and Bonjour!

Hi y'all,
I live in Plattsburgh NY on the Adirondack Coast of Lake Champlain about 20 minutes away from the Quebec border. Husband and I won't be making Ohana down in Lake George this year but I was just curious if any of y'all ever make it up this way because there is a new tiki bar in Montreal! It's called The Snow Bird. Haven't been myself yet but would love to meet some of you fine folks over a tasty beverage. My husband and I have only been up here in the land of ice and snow for about 3 years, I'm originally from Atlanta and I miss Trader Vic's and the Starlight Drive in something fierce. Anyway this is my first post and I'm just hoping to meet some people.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:52 pm 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

Aloha & Welcome! Glad you found us!

We currently have no Moai in Montreal, though many Montrealers make the trip down to Ohana every year & maybe they will chime in here :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 pm 
Fellow Moai

Aloha!
Montrealer here :D

We are very excited to now have tiki bar (finally!!) in the city!
Anytime you feel like visiting our beautiful city and stop by Snowbird, we'd (myself and Jim Bones) gladly meet you there!

There was a talk at Ohana this year about a big Boston/New England group coming to Snowbird next fall (maybe September, if I remember correctly?)...I would very much like to see this happen :D

If you guys need any info on what to do while in Montreal or anything else, just ask away!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm 
Tourist

Oh I am thrilled to hear this! My husband and I have been going through our Trader Vic's Tiki party book this summer and just finished off the gold and silver rum last night! We would love to meet you at Snowbird once we get a good sitter in order.

My journey to Plattsburgh (locally called DirtyBurgh) was as simple as my husband found a sweet tenure track gig teaching at SUNY Plattsburgh so we packed up and headed north. It's been 3 years ago today actually. We have since bought a home here (A sweet mid century Lustron home) I just finished my 9 month sobriety in February with our daughter being born.

Pre-baby we were in Montreal about twice a month it has become significantly less now as babies are expensive and time consuming. Love her to death don't get me wrong, just that Montreal isn't the easiest town to have a baby in tow in. (Burlington VT is much easier).

AtomicBettie I would LOVE to meet you for a drink! I'd also love to hear what some of your favorite places are. I adore the BurgerBar on Rue Crescent for their salmon burger and my husband loves going to Poutineville.

If y'all ever head south of the border let me know! The Hong Kong Jade Buffet has pretty tasty (super cheap) cocktails which you'd never expect from a Chinese buffet but I'm not going to look a $3 scorpion or pina colada gift horse in the mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm 
Fellow Moai

Yes, I would understand having a baby tends to put a bit of a break on traveling and stuff like that! Congrats on the house too!
Jim and I would love own a house of our own but the budget just ain't there ...heehee

I'll be posting a more official post about "U.S. invading Montreal" so if you want to come at the same time as everyone there, that could be fun! If you can't make it when everybody else can, no sweat...it'll just be an excuse to go there again (like we need any, we live like 10 min away from Snowbird)!

The next time we'll be in the US will be from august 19th to 27th...we're going to New York, Wildwood and finishing with the Asbury Surf Festival..can't wait! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 am 
Tourist

That sounds like a blast! I will see what we can swing. In the meantime I'm going to get my husband on here so he can stop lurking on my profile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm 
Fellow Moai

...bit late on the draw on this one, but another Montrealer here!