The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"It's like they want to be Motley Crue but lack the talent, songwriting ability and good taste."


Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
Posts: 18
I'm tagging along with my wife for a conference in New Orleans. Does anyone have any suggestions on places I should visit? Latitude 29 is on the list for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Bull City
Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
TheRobinwoodOutpost wrote:
I'm tagging along with my wife for a conference in New Orleans. Does anyone have any suggestions on places I should visit? Latitude 29 is on the list for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Have you been there before? Are you looking for tiki only recommendations?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
Posts: 18
rocketbetty wrote:
TheRobinwoodOutpost wrote:
I'm tagging along with my wife for a conference in New Orleans. Does anyone have any suggestions on places I should visit? Latitude 29 is on the list for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Have you been there before? Are you looking for tiki only recommendations?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
Posts: 18
Hey Rocketbetty, yeah I visited about 15 or so years ago. Recommendations don't have to be tiki :) but, I don't want to miss out on "must see tiki". I'm planning on visiting the D-day military Museum too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Bull City
Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
Great! Here's a little list off the top of my head. NOLA is one of my favorite cities. You can feel the history as you walk around.

Latitude 29 - Go, eat, drink, enjoy
Tiki Tolteca (next door & upstairs to Latitude) - Tiki light, not fully immersive like Latitude, stop in anyway
Cane & Table - not tiki but rum & Caribbean snacks, lots of locals
Portside Lounge - new, supossedly tiki dive bar, I've only read about it

French 75 - classic, order the namesake
The Carousel Bar - It spins, it's haunted, birthplace of the Vieux Carre
Twelve Mile Limit - cocktails & cheap beer
Cure - craft cocktails

Really, you can just eat and drink your way around the city. It's amazing... Here's a website that breaks it down by type so whatever you are into, you can easily find. https://nola.eater.com

I love a cup of chicory coffee and beignets in the afternoon or late night. If you go to Cafe Du Monde, do not wait for a table. That's a lie. Just find an open one and sit down. Bring cash. Enjoy.

I also love the Voodoo Museum. It's small but super cool and very informative.

Oh, and Red Truck Gallery has crazy fun art. They are one of my favorites.

And then there are the cemeteries, the Garden District, the streetcars, the shopping, the wine bars, the food, the french market, the antique/vintage stores, the everything... I could go on and on. I love that damn city.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 am 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
Posts: 18
rocketbetty wrote:
Great! Here's a little list off the top of my head. NOLA is one of my favorite cities. You can feel the history as you walk around.

Latitude 29 - Go, eat, drink, enjoy
Tiki Tolteca (next door & upstairs to Latitude) - Tiki light, not fully immersive like Latitude, stop in anyway
Cane & Table - not tiki but rum & Caribbean snacks, lots of locals
Portside Lounge - new, supossedly tiki dive bar, I've only read about it

French 75 - classic, order the namesake
The Carousel Bar - It spins, it's haunted, birthplace of the Vieux Carre
Twelve Mile Limit - cocktails & cheap beer
Cure - craft cocktails

Really, you can just eat and drink your way around the city. It's amazing... Here's a website that breaks it down by type so whatever you are into, you can easily find. https://nola.eater.com

I love a cup of chicory coffee and beignets in the afternoon or late night. If you go to Cafe Du Monde, do not wait for a table. That's a lie. Just find an open one and sit down. Bring cash. Enjoy.

I also love the Voodoo Museum. It's small but super cool and very informative.

Oh, and Red Truck Gallery has crazy fun art. They are one of my favorites.

And then there are the cemeteries, the Garden District, the streetcars, the shopping, the wine bars, the food, the french market, the antique/vintage stores, the everything... I could go on and on. I love that damn city.



Wow! Thank you so much for the advice..I'm so looking forward to visiting the places that you suggested. Definitely want to check out the Voodoo museum too. I also enjoy antiquing so I might find something unique for the home bar "Outpost". I'll bring you back a personal report. Bring on the rum and beignets!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:08 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 pm
Posts: 269
Location: Buffalo, NY
Personal Statement: The goggles do nothing!
I second Rocketbetty's suggestions and just have a couple things to add.

French 75 bar: get a cocktail and ask about the Germaine Wells museum. It's free and you can tour it with your drink!
Compere Lapin at the Old 77 Hotel: great food and drinks.
The World War II museum. It's great, make sure you have some time if you go because it is huge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am
Posts: 18
Grog Zombie wrote:
I second Rocketbetty's suggestions and just have a couple things to add.

French 75 bar: get a cocktail and ask about the Germaine Wells museum. It's free and you can tour it with your drink!
Compere Lapin at the Old 77 Hotel: great food and drinks.
The World War II museum. It's great, make sure you have some time if you go because it is huge.


Mahalo, Grog Zombie! I'll keep those places on my list. The last time I was there the World War II museum had just been built and they only had the 1st level done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Atlanta, GA
Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
I've been to a good chunk of the bars rocketbetty suggested, and they're all quite good. I'd also suggest checking out Bar Tonique, as they have good craft cocktails. The Sazerac Bar inside the Roosevelt Hotel is also noteworthy for cocktail history purposes.

If you collect tiki mugs, do go into some of the antique stores. Even though many of those stores are filled with some really old stuff, I've seen tiki mugs mixed in with the antiques, even some Tiki Bob mugs from the Bali Ha'i at the Beach that used to be near Lake Pontchartrain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Posts: 220
Location: Bull City
Personal Statement: Leopard is a neutral.
kemika_popoki wrote:
I've been to a good chunk of the bars rocketbetty suggested, and they're all quite good. I'd also suggest checking out Bar Tonique, as they have good craft cocktails. The Sazerac Bar inside the Roosevelt Hotel is also noteworthy for cocktail history purposes.

If you collect tiki mugs, do go into some of the antique stores. Even though many of those stores are filled with some really old stuff, I've seen tiki mugs mixed in with the antiques, even some Tiki Bob mugs from the Bali Ha'i at the Beach that used to be near Lake Pontchartrain.


Ah yes, I skipped both of those bars. Great ones.

I have also found treasures hidden amidst the junk and antiques.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 pm
Posts: 269
Location: Buffalo, NY
Personal Statement: The goggles do nothing!
kemika_popoki wrote:
I've been to a good chunk of the bars rocketbetty suggested, and they're all quite good. I'd also suggest checking out Bar Tonique, as they have good craft cocktails. The Sazerac Bar inside the Roosevelt Hotel is also noteworthy for cocktail history purposes.

If you collect tiki mugs, do go into some of the antique stores. Even though many of those stores are filled with some really old stuff, I've seen tiki mugs mixed in with the antiques, even some Tiki Bob mugs from the Bali Ha'i at the Beach that used to be near Lake Pontchartrain.


Yes, Bar Tonique is great too. Bar and restaurant workers tend to hang out there.

If you are interested in cocktail history, stop at Tujaque's and get a Grasshopper, which was invented there.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: z~Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr