The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Was this related to the Beaver Queen Pageant? Because that rabbit hole is deep and wide."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New England Rum Resupply
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

(New guy here) I've got some various rums in my liquor cabinet that I'm looking to replace, and I heard this was a good place to inquire. Primarily since I'm in New Hampshire, and while our State Liquor Stores are cheap, they don't exactly cater to the discriminating rum drinker.

I'll start with one of the easier ones: Kōloa Kauai Dark Rum. Nice, flavorful, lighter rum. Easily obtained in Honolulu (indeed, I think every ABC sells it), but I'm not in Hawaii.

And the harder one: Rivière du Mât Grande Réserve 40%. From the Isle of Reunion in the South Indian Ocean. Wonderfully delicious rum, I lugged this bottle back myself, and aside from Martinique, I have a hard time finding any French rhums around here, let alone some from Reunion (as an aside, in the unlikely event you find yourself visiting that obscure island, do not miss the Saga du Rhum museum, especially for the tasting room.

Anyone have a source for these either someplace in MA, or that will ship to NH?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 pm 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Aloha from a few exits up I-89...

I spoke to a buyer for the state liquor stores once and asked why they never had a Demerara rum on the shelf and he had never heard of it. Sigh.

As you surely know, the only Agricole you will find in state is Clement Select Barrel Rhum.

Now the Kōloa Dark.... I'm working on acquiring a few bottles of that at the moment actually.

-Rev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

rev_thumper wrote:
Aloha from a few exits up I-89...

I'm actually up by the VT/NH border, so at least I have VT to work with as well.

Quote:
As you surely know, the only Agricole you will find in state is Clement Select Barrel Rhum.

Now the Kōloa Dark.... I'm working on acquiring a few bottles of that at the moment actually.

Good to know.

Yeah, the selection up here is hard. 1.5 years ago I did an elaborate gin party, and it took me several months (and two business trips) to come up with a reasonably good cross section of gins (at least I actually had a bunch of gin converts). Rum is turning out to be a bit harder.

Any good liquor stores with a really good rum selection near the MA/NH border (or in VT or ME, for that matter).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 pm 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
If your business trips bring you down to Florida we have Koloa Dark at our local stores (Total Wine) as well as some Rum Agricoles (Rhum J. M., Clement, Niesson).

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

the mighty OZ wrote:
If your business trips bring you down to Florida we have Koloa Dark at our local stores (Total Wine) as well as some Rum Agricoles (Rhum J. M., Clement, Niesson).

Yeah, I need to find a good store someplace between Orlando and Daytona Beach (Embry-Riddle is a regular destination)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:57 pm 
Matu'u

Rum selection in New Hampshire has been improving lately but yes, lots of gaps. You probably already know but be sure to look at the online inventory and you may spot stuff in other locations. If they have it in the inventory you can go to the local store and order it in.

Vermont's inventory overlaps heavily but does vary. They actually have the Koloa coconut on closeout right now but the only way to know that is to sign up for their monthly updates. http://802spirits.com/products/rum

Maine is also a control state (Happy Repeal day by the way) so once agin, the inventory online is all you will find. They do carry a better selection of the Clement rums. http://www.mainespirits.com/

Now to the south..... A lot of surprising stuff turns up in Massachusetts. Kappy's can be a winner and actually has an online inventory now so you don't need to visit three outlets looking for stuff. Good selection of El Dorado, Plantation, even Old Monk. There is one just down the road from Kowloon in Saugus so you can shop and then head over for a Mai-Tai. http://www.kappys.com

-Rev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Thanks, that gives me a lot of good leads. I've seen Kappy's, but it's been a while since I've been down that way (especially since Karl's Sausage Kitchen moved to Peabody). But yeah, I should go hit the Kowloon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 am 
Tourist

Not on the border, and it's been a long time since I've been to either, but, in MA, in addition to Kappy's, I remember Marty's in Newton and Table & Vine in Springfield as both being good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:50 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
We've found some interesting stuff at Norfolk Wine and Spirits in Norfolk, MA and Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA, but both can be hit or miss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:43 pm 
Matu'u

Oh and Drum Hill Liquors in Chelmsford, MA, seems to be TheGraniteTiki's favorite spot but I have never made it there.

If you go way south Joyal's Liquors in West Warwick, RI, can have some surprises.

-Rev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:48 pm 
Tourist

If anyone gets a hit on the Koloa Dark in Mass. or southern NH, please let me know! It's my favorite, and stock-up trips to Hawaii are few and far between. I've had no luck with Kappy's on it, either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 pm 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Hibiscus wrote:
If anyone gets a hit on the Koloa Dark in Mass. or southern NH, please let me know! It's my favorite, and stock-up trips to Hawaii are few and far between. I've had no luck with Kappy's on it, either.

I know it can be special ordered from the VT Liquor Board, or coaxing the liquor store in Norwich VT to do it for me. I'm considering doing that and then spreading it around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:05 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
Hibiscus wrote:

A good reason to go to the Mai Kai for New Year Eve.

Uploaded by way of carrier pigeon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm 
Tourist

foredeckape wrote:
Hibiscus wrote:

A good reason to go to the Mai Kai for New Year Eve.

That would be very nice, but unfortunately not in the cards this year. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:48 pm 
Matu'u

thekazz wrote:
I know it can be special ordered from the VT Liquor Board, or coaxing the liquor store in Norwich VT to do it for me. I'm considering doing that and then spreading it around.

Yes, in fact I was asking one of the state buyers about that the other day and she said they had some bottles that were accidentally shipped to them. (How exactly does that happen?)

I just picked it up in Norwich.

Pricey.... $43. Goes for only $23 at Costco in Hawaii 8)

Anyway I asked her if I can get a case discount. We can always bring some along to Ohana in June.

-Rev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
thekazz wrote:
the mighty OZ wrote:

Yeah, I need to find a good store someplace between Orlando and Daytona Beach (Embry-Riddle is a regular destination)

Search for a total wine next time you are anywhere in Florida. They have the largest selection and are just about everywhere.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:01 pm 
Tourist

Hibiscus wrote:

If you don't mind mail order, there's this. Shipping isn't too horrendous if you get multiple bottles.

http://www.internetwines.com/koloa.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 am 
Matu'u

Vermont says they can order by the case, no discount offered unfortunately. Cases are 12 bottles.

If people are still searching in the spring we'd be willing to order a case and bring it along to Ohana in June.

Really interesting rum, I can see it definitely won't work in some cocktails. Just to try it out I made a modified Planter's Punch with it.

½oz lime juice
⅔oz simple syrup
2oz rum
2 dashes Angostura

Shaken with crushed ice and poured in a glass.

Tasty. The rum comes out nicely. The sugar can probably be knocked down to ½oz even.

-Rev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
Rev, if you find yourself with a case I'm certainly in for a bottle or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:55 pm 
Honui Moai

I guess I should have had my packy order a case. It should be in this afternoon.

The Lemon Hart and Coruba came in yesterday. Reuniting New England is the best idea the Rev ever had, if just for the increased variety of rums alone. He's like William, Duke of Normandy for blue laws.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
foredeckape wrote:
The Lemon Hart and Coruba came in yesterday.
Crap - it too late to request a bottle of each?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
Professor Pineapple wrote:
foredeckape wrote:
The Lemon Hart and Coruba came in yesterday.
Crap - it too late to request a bottle of each?

What he said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:01 pm 
Honui Moai

The last time I brought you a bottle of Coruba to a meeting, you missed the meeting. What sort of a Tohunga would I be if I reenforce that behavior with Lemon Hart? When you pick up the Coruba, then we'll see about the Lemon Hart.

The Queequeg crimps will be out and about this holiday season. Have a drink, sign on, see the world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:44 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
Wow, and the douglaration even goes up top. Lock me in the digital pillory, why don't you...
Fine, I’ll break with tradition to be a former Tohunga who makes meetings. Starting with the one where I get to dump 151 into my scorpion bowl. :pieface:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm 
Honui Moai

I brought the Coruba. If I hadn't opened the one bottle of LH...