The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Rain was par for the course in the early days.. but usually it led to some killer burnouts.."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
Tourist

Say it ain't so!

I haven't been around the Port much recently, so this might already be common knowledge, but I was bummed to hear it might be a possibility.

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/

TUESDAY, AUGUST 07, 2018
Proposal Being Looked at to Replace Bali Hai in Lynnfield with Apartment Complex
by Marc Hurwitz

The future of one of the region's last old-school Polynesian restaurants could be in doubt, though plans to replace it with a luxury apartment complex have been met with a bit of resistance.

According to an article in the Lynn Item, a meeting took place last night on a proposal to replace Bali Hai in Lynnfield with a 32-unit, three-story residential development. The post says that the Planning Board ultimately voted against the project, recommending to the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) that they do not grant a special permit for it after listening to local residents share their concerns about the plans. (The ZBA is expected to vote on the proposal this evening.) Matthew and David Palumbo, who are behind the plans to build the complex at the Moulton Drive site, apparently have an agreement to purchase the property, which is located just off Route 128 near the Route 1 intersection.

Bali Hai has been in business for more than 50 years, offering mostly Chinese-American food along with Polynesian cocktails and tiki drinks. A couple of years ago, we had reported that the restaurant had been up for sale, though no further updates were given on the place.

The address for Bali Hai is 160 Moulton Drive, Lynnfield, MA, 01940. Its website can be found at http://www.balihailynnfield.com/

[Earlier Article]
Bali Hai in Lynnfield Is for Sale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
Manawale'a Motuha

I saw that some light fixtures were being pulled out of some restaurant in the Northeast, but buyers were tightlipped on where they came from - I'm wondering if this is it - I'm guessing yes....

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
Princess Pupule wrote:
I saw that some light fixtures were being pulled out of some restaurant in the Northeast, but buyers were tightlipped on where they came from - I'm wondering if this is it - I'm guessing yes....

Hmm. We recently suffered another MA closure (Hu Ke Lau), and had been wondering where their scores of orchids lamps went. Not in their auction or tag sale, I can report. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am 
Tourist

Professor Pineapple wrote:
Princess Pupule wrote:

Hmm. We recently suffered another MA closure (Hu Ke Lau), and had been wondering where their scores of orchids lamps went. Not in their auction or tag sale, I can report. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hu Ke Lau closed, too? Well, crap.

Not to many future NETT options left now, are there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 am 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
yeah, this one was (or is) a matter of time.

Bali Hai has been on and off the market for a few years now.

I think they were asking $2 million for the land, building and whole operation but really did not get much interest.

Maybe that is changing with the economy getting stronger, but as typical the interest may only be in the land and not the business.

Princess Pupule wrote:

BTW - where did you see this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm 
Manawale'a Motuha

leisure master wrote:
BTW - where did you see this?

A couple different FB posts by FB friends either taking them home or considering taking them home.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:01 pm 
Tetu Tagata Tapa Ta'u

I asked about them a few weeks ago and they wouldn’t budge on the lamps. The tapa cloth lamps are mostly so damaged I am not sure they would be worth the repair.

Anyone see Father of the Year on Netflix? Looks like Bali Hai is their local hang.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I do what I want!
Well, phooey. I’m headed there in a couple of hours, so I guess I’ll see how it looks.

That may explain a story I read on Critiki where the manager gave a collector some opening day menus so they’d have a good home...

Hibiscus wrote:
Say it ain't so!

I haven't been around the Port much recently, so this might already be common knowledge, but I was bummed to hear it might be a possibility.

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/

TUESDAY, AUGUST 07, 2018
Proposal Being Looked at to Replace Bali Hai in Lynnfield with Apartment Complex
by Marc Hurwitz

The future of one of the region's last old-school Polynesian restaurants could be in doubt, though plans to replace it with a luxury apartment complex have been met with a bit of resistance.

According to an article in the Lynn Item, a meeting took place last night on a proposal to replace Bali Hai in Lynnfield with a 32-unit, three-story residential development. The post says that the Planning Board ultimately voted against the project, recommending to the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) that they do not grant a special permit for it after listening to local residents share their concerns about the plans. (The ZBA is expected to vote on the proposal this evening.) Matthew and David Palumbo, who are behind the plans to build the complex at the Moulton Drive site, apparently have an agreement to purchase the property, which is located just off Route 128 near the Route 1 intersection.

Bali Hai has been in business for more than 50 years, offering mostly Chinese-American food along with Polynesian cocktails and tiki drinks. A couple of years ago, we had reported that the restaurant had been up for sale, though no further updates were given on the place.

The address for Bali Hai is 160 Moulton Drive, Lynnfield, MA, 01940. Its website can be found at http://www.balihailynnfield.com/

[Earlier Article]
Bali Hai in Lynnfield Is for Sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
If you are on the north shore, there is this exotica musician named Carl Ayotte that plays in Billerica at Garrisons on Sundays.

I've seen him play a few times. It's worth the trip to go see him.

Sent from somewhere exotic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 am 
Matu'u

Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Bali Hai seems to have an endless supply of vintage menus and tiki mugs in the souvenir case.

Seriously. Original unused OMC stuff packed in straw.

-Rev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 pm 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I do what I want!
While the food and drinks weren’t what one would hope (maybe an off night?), the staff were very friendly and the manager was very generous with a handful of menus from about 1974. In really glad I made it in. The night before was Kowloon, which was quite fun, so we went there after Bali Hai for better food and drinks.

Last night, I stumbled across Tiki Rock, and was pleasantly surprised. Sending the info off to Critiki to hopefully help others visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:42 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: Tiki?
KahunaCP wrote:
While the food and drinks weren’t what one would hope (maybe an off night?)

Not an off night, just business as usual for Bali Hai.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am 
Manawale'a Avahata

Personal Statement: Uptown funk you up
Wahine Magnet wrote:
KahunaCP wrote:
While the food and drinks weren’t what one would hope (maybe an off night?)

Not an off night, just business as usual for Bali Hai.

:lol: :lol: