The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"This just in: the Fellowship is nuts."


Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 am 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 1566
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
KukuAhu wrote:

1/4 oz Fernet Branca




Added to the shopping list for this weekend so I can make your Grog...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 3:55 pm
Posts: 158
Location: Green Park, Florida
Personal Statement: Dammit!
This is really hard. Back in the 80's and 90's I would have said Crown, soda and lime. With age changing the body chemistry I think I have to go with Dark and Stormy because again age....too much fruit doesn't work well for me. Jet Pilot would be the first choice though.

_________________
F-Troop Mom


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm 
Offline
Hatu Matoa
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:51 am
Posts: 13060
Location: Kahiki, Ohio
Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
Lucky wrote:
KukuAhu wrote:

1/4 oz Fernet Branca




Added to the shopping list for this weekend so I can make your Grog...



Make one yet? :)



Another drink I could have everyday forever is a Papa Doble.

And another is a Beefeater or Bombay gin sour. (Presuming of course that we have real sour mix, or are using fresh citrus and sugar syrup)


Ahu

_________________
Where, suddenly staining the blues, delirious 
and slow rhythms under the glowing red of day, 
stronger than alcohol, vaster than our lyrics, 
ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline
Nounou Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 189
Ancient mariner or old fashions...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:51 pm
Posts: 128
Location: New Hampshire
Ahu's Navy Grog #2 was Kona Kay's and my favorite drink of 2012 and so far is creeping into 2013!
Of course my favorite all timer is pretty obvious. ;)

_________________
"I shall leave no Mai Tai unturned!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline
Hatu Matoa
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:51 am
Posts: 13060
Location: Kahiki, Ohio
Personal Statement: The Pythagoras of Love
:oops: Aaaww.. Thanks, man...





Ahu

_________________
Where, suddenly staining the blues, delirious 
and slow rhythms under the glowing red of day, 
stronger than alcohol, vaster than our lyrics, 
ferment the red bitters of love! 

I know heavens pierced by lightning, the waterspouts
and undertows and currents: I know night, 
Dawn rising like a nation of doves, 
and I've seen, sometimes, what men only dreamed they saw! 


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 1566
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Still haven't made on. Didn't find any in the shop in Columbus, but I can special order it here.

I did, however, have a Grog at the Grass Skirt, so that'll satiate me for awhile.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 57
Location: Michigan
Personal Statement: Born in the wrong decade
The Original Mai Tai from Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach, CA.... just got back from there... Fantastic. Painkiller is a close second.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:34 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am
Posts: 11
Location: Urban Jungle
Personal Statement: Gravity Sucks
Aloha fellow Moai;

Had to put in for this one..
I get this question all the time when I am under the spell of the Booze Godesses!!
They are sirens of the bar and are wicked in there ways of making every drink your last..

Sooo I would like a never ending beverage to be something no human has had..

Romulan Ale

Star date : Forever


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm 
Offline
Nounou Moai
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 344
Location: Quincy,MA
Painkiller is up there for me! Followed by Mai Tai.. but it would have to be the original recipe!

_________________
Poor Me!... Pour me another!
This message brought to you by Admiral Anaki Washashore


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:26 pm 
Offline
Honui Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 3514
Location: Land of the Queequeg (Mass.)
Where do you get your 17-year-old Wray and Nephew? Kappy's has been out for like months.

_________________
To the NSA monkey monitoring this: You're ugly, no one likes you and you will die alone.


The NSA thanks you for your feedback. Please, carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:58 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am
Posts: 148
Location: Pacific Island of Alameda
chiwito wrote:
Coquito would be my first choice, but almost anything with a heavy coconut flavor is a candidate. With my bad memory, I should probably devote a few months to organized taste-testing before settling on a definite answer.

chiwito

Still sticking with the coquito, but Forbidden Island's macadamia colada would also do me for a lifetime. In either case, a Puerto Rican rum is appropriate, so I'd make them with Don Q Anejo or Gran Anejo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:09 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Atlanta
Personal Statement: All I want is for you to
For never ending, a simple Rum and Coke.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:14 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:49 pm
Posts: 123
Location: Georgia
Personal Statement: I dig idol chatter
...I saw at least one drink representing Tiki Ti...I'll take a Penang, perpetually, please! 8) http://www.tiki-ti.com/drinks/a-penang.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:19 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Aku Aku Room, Pittsburgh
Painkiller!! Hands down, no question.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:46 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:39 am
Posts: 228
Location: Gumbo Limbo Land
Only one! :shock:

Hmm, I think I would choose a Black Magic it's my go to drink :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:05 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm
Posts: 28
I'd have to go with a daiquiri. Simple enough to taste the rum, refreshing, a little sour, a little sweet. It's the drink I test bartenders and rum with.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:12 am 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:27 am
Posts: 7
Location: Pacific Viewpoint, Coos Bay
Original Mai Tai from Vic's without a doubt!.......In fact this sounds like a great idea. Looks like I am heading to up Portland this weekend baby, let those Mai Tai's flow!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am
Posts: 148
Location: Pacific Island of Alameda
The Depraved Pangula wrote:
Original Mai Tai from Vic's without a doubt!.......In fact this sounds like a great idea. Looks like I am heading to up Portland this weekend baby, let those Mai Tai's flow!!

Um, I hope this poster is going to Hale Pele or another fine cocktail establishment, rather than that he/she doesn't know about the former Portland Trader Vic's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:19 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:27 am
Posts: 7
Location: Pacific Viewpoint, Coos Bay
Actually I didn't know about Trader Vic's closing until this morning. I was there a few years ago but had no idea about the fire until today when I was looking into going this weekend. I read a little about the other two in Portland, Hale Pele and Alibi. I live 4 hours south of Portland so I would have to make a weekend of it. Are those two establishments worth the excursion? It has been a good while since I docked at a nice island.

Was really bummed to hear about Vic's in Portland. I only made it there once. However, I have frequented the one in Manama, Bahrain on many occasions in the past! Great times, all!!

Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:46 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am
Posts: 148
Location: Pacific Island of Alameda
The Depraved Pangula wrote:
Actually I didn't know about Trader Vic's closing until this morning. I was there a few years ago but had no idea about the fire until today when I was looking into going this weekend. I read a little about the other two in Portland, Hale Pele and Alibi. I live 4 hours south of Portland so I would have to make a weekend of it. Are those two establishments worth the excursion? It has been a good while since I docked at a nice island.

Was really bummed to hear about Vic's in Portland. I only made it there once. However, I have frequented the one in Manama, Bahrain on many occasions in the past! Great times, all!!

Tom

Hale Pele is a great rum bar and a fine tiki bar. Should provide the rum, cocktail, and environment fixes that a Trader Vic's would. Alibi is more of a local hangout/dive bar/karaoke bar/general fun place, living in part on its tiki history and a bit of decor. I loved it the times I was in Portland, but more purist types might not. For those who have visited the San Francisco Bay Area, it is Trad'r Sam's but with better cocktails and a classier clientele. Two different bars, but probably worth the weekend trip, especially if not having Vic's gives you enough time to extend your trip to Tacoma. Tacoma Cabana is the best bar north of the Bay Area. Try to cram it into the schedule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:33 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 1:27 am
Posts: 7
Location: Pacific Viewpoint, Coos Bay
chiwito wrote:
The Depraved Pangula wrote:
Actually I didn't know about Trader Vic's closing until this morning. I was there a few years ago but had no idea about the fire until today when I was looking into going this weekend. I read a little about the other two in Portland, Hale Pele and Alibi. I live 4 hours south of Portland so I would have to make a weekend of it. Are those two establishments worth the excursion? It has been a good while since I docked at a nice island.

Was really bummed to hear about Vic's in Portland. I only made it there once. However, I have frequented the one in Manama, Bahrain on many occasions in the past! Great times, all!!

Tom

Hale Pele is a great rum bar and a fine tiki bar. Should provide the rum, cocktail, and environment fixes that a Trader Vic's would. Alibi is more of a local hangout/dive bar/karaoke bar/general fun place, living in part on its tiki history and a bit of decor. I loved it the times I was in Portland, but more purist types might not. For those who have visited the San Francisco Bay Area, it is Trad'r Sam's but with better cocktails and a classier clientele. Two different bars, but probably worth the weekend trip, especially if not having Vic's gives you enough time to extend your trip to Tacoma. Tacoma Cabana is the best bar north of the Bay Area. Try to cram it into the schedule.


Thanks for the insight! I get up to Seattle every now and then so I may try to squeeze in the Tacoma Cabana. Not sure yet about this weekend but I will be headed up that way the following weekend to see my kids so a Portland stop for the night on the way up would definitely work! Hale Pele and Alibi both sound like a good time to me!

Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:07 pm 
Offline
Hoa Manu
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm
Posts: 4242
Location: New Hampshire
Personal Statement: 2 seconds?!?!?!?
My initial reply was Kir Royale, but I really need to change that. In the past 2 years the Tiki Basterd has been my go to cocktail. I make it just for myself, I make it for guests, I have made it when hosting Chapter meetings, I even served it to my family on Christmas Eve.

Tiki Basterd by Emily Rabener aka bitch*doctor

I drink it all the damn time.

_________________
Happiness is a warm pun.
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline
Fellow Moai
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Atlanta, GA
Personal Statement: I'm pro-metric.
Gin and tonic but with good tonic water or maybe a Manhattan (made with Brugal 1888). A Negroni would be a close 3rd.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
Matu'u
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 20007
Location: Queequeg Chapter (NH)
Personal Statement: Conch ceviche.
Brugal? Interesting choice.

-Rev

_________________
To taua na Moai!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr