The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Using Occam's Razor.... hell, Occam's Butterknife will do nicely here...."

Homepage Homepage    Our Charities Our Charity    Our Supporters Our Supporters    Regional Chapters Our Local Chapters  News News    GalleryGallery    Calendar Events   

Calendar FOM Calendar    Gallery Event Galleries    Join Our Mailing List Join Our Mailing List 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moore House Demolished
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:15 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ohanu now!
This is painful to post. This masterpiece home, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright's son, Lloyd Wright, was demolished on April 25th. The new owners of this property will probably replace this glorious design with some frickin' Tuscan piece of crap...or yet another Mediterranean Revival.

http://www.laconservancy.org/issues/iss ... .php#video

Moore House Video #1 - http://youtu.be/o-e7BUIfZP0
Moore House Video #2 - http://youtu.be/HU2sCA0tRqA
Moore House Video #3 - http://youtu.be/f4blUQIJsgQ
Moore House Video #4 - http://youtu.be/JgOhdJQtB0s
Moore House Video #5 - http://youtu.be/c_syNN4w4Qc

"The owner was there admiring the destruction...<and> said...'It was beautiful, but a terrible house to live in' and his new home will be 'a wonderful thing for the neighborhood'." Yes, the former and original owner lived in this house for 45-years (until it was sold in 2004). This must have been one bitch of a habitat!

Last edited by Vince Martini on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:18 am 
Honui Moai

The Moore House and its replacement

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:56 am 
Tourist

Personal Statement: I see dead drunk people
Looking at the photo of the old and the new makes one weep for this loss. The original looked like it was poised to leap from landscape, the replacement just looks like a giant housebrick with windows. Probably reflects the new owner's personal style. I mean where would you hang the moose head in the original Moore House?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am 
Matato'a

What a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 am 
Tetu Tiki Gogoro

How sad & what a waste, just to put up another god-awful monument to oneself with no soul. I hope some of the interior elements were able to be saved by preservationists - like to wood interior screens, etc.

Sad.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 am 
Avai Rona

Personal Statement: Drink? Jet Pilot!!!
What a crying shame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Invisible
I really hate this....This is an instance where one can easily see that money does not buy brains. What are those idiots thinking? Tuscan replacement??....Some people only have taste in their mouths.

Sad.

BT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 am 
Honui Moai

Thanks for posting this Vince, very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:17 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
That's a shame. the people who knock down cottages to build mcmasions in our neighborhood really don't bring anything to the neighborhood. Except higher taxes and fences.

You see, these old houses aren't layed out for man caves, have pink bathrooms and sport built-in bars. A family can't live like that. They come home and can't isolate themselves from each other. It makes it hard for advertising and marketing people to target the demographic. In a sunken living room, people would have to have conversations and listen to jazz music. As we all know, you can't sell Applebee's gift cards to people who listen to Cal Tjader.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Is it nap time yet?
foredeckape wrote:
As we all know, you can't sell Applebee's gift cards to people who listen to Cal Tjader.

That's fuckin' genuis!
Up top!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 am 
Honui Moai

Oh man, ain't that the truth!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 am 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: Soups on!
What a crime.

"I would like to prevent hi fi and organ music."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 pm 
Ivi Atua

Personal Statement: 2 seconds?!?!?!?
That seriously makes me want to hurt people for being stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 pm 
Chapter Tohunga

Personal Statement: Kungaloosh!
What a pile of crap. It seems we can't sell off our heritage quickly enough. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: PMS Fan
sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:43 pm 
Kere

Personal Statement: LIGHTS OUT!
beyond sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 pm 
Nounou Moai

:evil: :evil:

That just sucks!
How did it get sold to such a douchebag?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm 
Honui Moai

Here is what I don't understand (well, there is much about this that I don't understand), the Moore House had wonderfully broad open decks that gave the family fantastic ocean views. If you look at some of the spreads in Malibu, it is paramount that they have wide open backsides...open glass to get dramatic views of the Pacific Ocean. The Moore House had this in its design.

The design of this new house has no decks, no big windows and is basically closed up in the direction of the Pacific Ocean. WTF? Just another example of this new owner's lack of vision. I hope he enjoys living in his SUCK ASS mausoleum!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Sleeps in hollow logs
Indeed, it is just another symptom of what has led me here. This community is all about the enjoyment of, and hence preservation of, an aesthetic, a culture, a lifestyle, that promotes socialization, fraternity, an celebrates life. To push down a landmark house such as that, and replace it with a McMansion, if I were in charge, just wouldn't enter people's minds, cuz there'd be consequences.

You guys here all get that, and that's so far beyond awesome, I can't even begin to tell you.

Sorry for the gap, I had to put on a record and mix a cocktail, as I had the feeling this was going to be longer than I originally intended. Hugo Winterhalter goes Hawaiian, and a dry Mai Tai, for those of you keeping score at home.

Anyway, now I feel better.

But back to the topic at hand...

It is frightening how the pace of erasing culture has picked up in the last 10-15 years. I see this everywhere I turn, and it begins with the kids. I teach music in schools where there used to be a strong band program at one time, and now, after budget cuts, retiring teachers not being replaced, and a wave of kids whose parents, for whatever reason, don't impart any kind of cultural imprint on them, and they kids lack any kind of ability to focus long enough to even make a good faith effort.

Not only does it not occur to some asshole not to buy a house that happens to be the product of one of the greatest minds in architecture this country has produced if it doesn't suit their needs, but then to destroy it forever, so that no one else can ever experience walking through it, or learn from it, and put up a cookie-cutter piece of prefab shit is the end product of a sickness from which this nation had better recover soon, before too much else is lost. I know it's just one house, but if it were just that, I'd be sad. But to see that, combined with the mothballing of our space program, combined with Jazz being in the toilet for how many years now??? And even Berklee has a hard time getting enough woodwind and brass players to populate all the ensembles which should have some kind of horn section.

Now, I probably should have mentioned that I have a deep appreciation for architecture, which stems from the many similarities I see in the two art forms. This is a bit difficult to explain, but in a nutshell, both artforms involve envisioning, then arranging a structure which creates a unique impression in the mind of each individual who experiences it.

The training and thought that is required to produce such works, and even the mindset that can take the time to appreciate them, is now an endangered species. When I travel, I see that while there is still considerable appreciation abroad for these things, other countries are baically headed in the same direction, though nowhere near as far along as here. I find this more disheartening than I can say here.

I realize I am preaching to the choir here; you guys are all on the same page, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this. The hardest thing in the world right now is to bring somebody over to our side, someone who doesn't recognize that we have arrived at a stage none of us ever thought for a minute would be possinle, where the commercials are, with a few exceptions, more entertaining than the programs they punctuate. Not only are there no jetpacks, like we were promised 40 years ago, but in fact, we now have to hitch a ride with the Russkies to get into orbit now. Forget about sunken living rooms, and Cal Tjader, or even a live band much of anywhere you go these days (except Ohana). Unless we actively take on the task of introducing the younger generations to this way of living, it dies with us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 pm 
Honui Moai

BTW, another disclosure,

I would probably have been less down about this sort of thing if it weren't for the recent folding of the Key West Pops, of which I have been a member for the last few years. They ended 13 years of world-class productions this Spring, with two nights of performances of Kiss Me Kate, with a large orchestra comprised of 8 woodwinds, 6 brass, 16 strings, piano, full orchestral percussion, a choir, and a front line cast featuring some heavy star power from Broadway.

In the break, I put on Pagan Festival, by Dominic Frontiere and his Orchestra, and made a Mai Kai Samoan Grog. Again, for those of you keeping score at home, and you know who you are. So keep up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:45 pm 
Honui Moai

The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Indeed, it is just another symptom of what has led me here. This community is all about the enjoyment of, and hence preservation of, an aesthetic, a culture, a lifestyle, that promotes socialization, fraternity, an celebrates life. To push down a landmark house such as that, and replace it with a McMansion, if I were in charge, just wouldn't enter people's minds, cuz there'd be consequences.

You guys here all get that, and that's so far beyond awesome, I can't even begin to tell you.

Sorry for the gap, I had to put on a record and mix a cocktail, as I had the feeling this was going to be longer than I originally intended. Hugo Winterhalter goes Hawaiian, and a dry Mai Tai, for those of you keeping score at home.

Anyway, now I feel better.

But back to the topic at hand...

It is frightening how the pace of erasing culture has picked up in the last 10-15 years. I see this everywhere I turn, and it begins with the kids. I teach music in schools where there used to be a strong band program at one time, and now, after budget cuts, retiring teachers not being replaced, and a wave of kids whose parents, for whatever reason, don't impart any kind of cultural imprint on them, and they kids lack any kind of ability to focus long enough to even make a good faith effort.

Not only does it not occur to some asshole not to buy a house that happens to be the product of one of the greatest minds in architecture this country has produced if it doesn't suit their needs, but then to destroy it forever, so that no one else can ever experience walking through it, or learn from it, and put up a cookie-cutter piece of prefab shit is the end product of a sickness from which this nation had better recover soon, before too much else is lost. I know it's just one house, but if it were just that, I'd be sad. But to see that, combined with the mothballing of our space program, combined with Jazz being in the toilet for how many years now??? And even Berklee has a hard time getting enough woodwind and brass players to populate all the ensembles which should have some kind of horn section.

Now, I probably should have mentioned that I have a deep appreciation for architecture, which stems from the many similarities I see in the two art forms. This is a bit difficult to explain, but in a nutshell, both artforms involve envisioning, then arranging a structure which creates a unique impression in the mind of each individual who experiences it.

The training and thought that is required to produce such works, and even the mindset that can take the time to appreciate them, is now an endangered species. When I travel, I see that while there is still considerable appreciation abroad for these things, other countries are baically headed in the same direction, though nowhere near as far along as here. I find this more disheartening than I can say here.

I realize I am preaching to the choir here; you guys are all on the same page, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this. The hardest thing in the world right now is to bring somebody over to our side, someone who doesn't recognize that we have arrived at a stage none of us ever thought for a minute would be possinle, where the commercials are, with a few exceptions, more entertaining than the programs they punctuate. Not only are there no jetpacks, like we were promised 40 years ago, but in fact, we now have to hitch a ride with the Russkies to get into orbit now. Forget about sunken living rooms, and Cal Tjader, or even a live band much of anywhere you go these days (except Ohana). Unless we actively take on the task of introducing the younger generations to this way of living, it dies with us.

WOW, TIM!!! I want to print this post and nail it to a door somewhere. But what door? Where?

This is as demonstrative a thesis of our collectively shared aesthetic than anything I have ever read. Your passion is palpable...as is your frustration. We just have to hope that a preservation wave will continue to grow and grab the imagination and passion of younger generations, just like it has grabbed us.

Think about this, the green movement was born out of a generation raised primarily on a disposable mentality. Perhaps this was a cause and effect reaction to their reality? Preservation seems to go hand-in-hand with the ideas of going green (i.e. - not to be wasteful). So, maybe younger people will eventually become far more passionate about saving our history than our generation? Perhaps???

On a side note: I am terribly sorry to hear of the demise of the Key West Pops. My wife and I were members of the Arkansas Symphony Chorus, which also went the way of the dodo bird...and other cultural entities.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:07 pm 
Nounou Moai

The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I put on Pagan Festival, by Dominic Frontiere and his Orchestra

At first I thought, "There's a Pagan Festival? Dominic Frontiere is still alive?" but then I realized you had just put on a recording and I became disappointed again.

Yes, this is just so sad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: There was one?
Dang. Mayor... you hit it right smack dab on the head right there. That wasn't property... that was art. Somehow... I fear, that we as a society are slowly losing sight of that sensibility. What kind of a goober would trade that for a McMansion in all good conscience? Progress? Pffffffftttttt!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 am 
Honui Moai

The thing I have learned over the recent years about preservation of culture is that there is no hope if we don't actively take part in its preservation. We can't wait for something to happen, as you can see. Every day brings more destruction of culture, and it's so widespread geographically, and across the media. The local record shop, Looney Tunes, I just heard yesterday, is being evicted by Berklee, who now owns the block that houses the store. They will move to Allston, but to have Berklee evicting a record store that has been in the neighborhood for 30 years, still sells vinyl, tape, and CDs, mostly Jazz, and Rock, but lots of other stuff too, is symptomatic of culture being erased by corporate hive-mind.

The best thing we can do as individuals, besides the obvious conservation of the artifacts of culture, is to introduce the younger folk to the joys of our culture. Show them how it provides the regeneration of the soul, gives meaning and perspective to our lives, and fosters creativity and friendship. These are the things that are in real threat of extinction.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 am 
Tagata Ao

Personal Statement: cromagnon ohio thugs
:x There are so many things I want to say and so many directions I could go. I need a moment to process all of this. But for the time being, I'll just say this. Wow! Well said, Mayor. I owe you a drink the next time I see you.