The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Doug is the FOM version of Dr. Manhattan."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:44 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
NEW YORK SCHOOL OF INTERIOR DESIGN (NYSID) PRESENTS EXHIBITION AND PANEL DISCUSSON CELEBRATING 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF LANDMARK “WHAT MODERN WAS” EXHIBITION

http://www.nysid.edu/page.aspx?pid=717

Quote:
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the landmark exhibition and publication, Design 1935-1965: What Modern Was, NYSID will pay homage to an event that became a touchstone of modern design, and a catalog that is widely regarded as the bible for understanding mid-century design. It was the first scholarly assessment of an area of design that has subsequently become a popular market and collecting favorite.

Opening next Weds and running through January 12.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 am 
Tourist

Amazing, I liked this retro modern design thread. This will really enhance the beauty of a home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 am 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Ouch!
What are your thoughts on incorporating neoclassical elements into brualist design? To some, the thought of ionic columns supporting square ratio concrete rectangular surfaces disrupts the flow of the space, time and continuum, even in 2011 as it once did today.

Sent from somewhere exotic

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:32 am 
Tourist

That room is stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am 
Fellow Moai

Love this thread, regardless of its age!

I was just driving through Racine, WI, and stopped to take the tour of the Johnson Wax HQ. The FLW-designed Administration building is just magnificent - but more relevant to this thread are its furnishings. I believe they said Wright designed nine variants of its office desks. They don't allow photography in the Ad building, but they had one of the original desks (and FLW-designed second-generation "Posture" chairs) in the Golden Rondelle Theater they relocated there after the '64-'65 World's Fair. Snapped a quick photo of it.

One of the cool features is that the drawers rotate out towards the seated employee, as opposed to sliding out like a regular drawer. FLW felt the sliding drawer was a flawed design, since you can't see what's in the back of the drawer until it's fully extended. The wastebasket is along the rails on the opposite side of the desk, allowing easier floor maintenance.

I couldn't believe that the Administration Building (and indeed these desks) are still in use today, by the legal department of the company.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:35 am 
Kere

Location: Metro Atlanta- Proud home of the Tongariki Chapter.
Personal Statement: Execute order 25
Love that! Thank you for sharing that Dublar.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:10 pm 
Fellow Moai

That whole tour was well worth the 1.5 hours of my life. The guide had a bunch of funny FLW tidbits. For instance, the posture chair was initially designed with three legs, still on wheels. Wright's idea was that the chair should promote healthy working posture, with both feet flat on the ground and back of the chair swiveling on an axis to always provide lumbar support. However, this was during a time when most ladies wore skirts/dresses to the workplace, and would politely cross their legs at the knee. Reach for a pencil on the ground, or open a lower drawer, and the chair would tip over. Johnson would look down and see employees constantly tipping over and asked FLW to rethink this design. Of course, Wright being Wright, said no.

A few months later Wright was in Racine and Johnson invited him to the office, seeing an opportunity. FLW sat in one of the chairs and happened to cross his legs. Somehow a pen ended up on the floor and Johnson asked Wright to pick it up. Of course he tipped over, and a few months later, the four-legged design appeared.