The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"Was this related to the Beaver Queen Pageant? Because that rabbit hole is deep and wide."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm 
Tourist

My wife and I are headed to New Orleans this week.

Any suggestions for things to do?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm 
Manawale'a Rua Motuha

Latitude 29 is #1 - 10 on the list!

Other than that, a tour of bars, going to bars that each cocktail was invented in can be good fun:
Sazerac (& Ramos Gin Fizz) at The Sazerac bar at The Roosevelt Hotel
Vieux Carre at The Carrousel Bar at the Monteleone
The Grasshopper at Tujague's
Absinthe Frappe at The Old Absinthe House
French 75 at Arnaud's French 75 (not really invented there, but a good stop nonetheless!)

Then, Cane & Table for an excellent pre-tiki cocktail menu

For food - SO MUCH good food......Great Po-Boys at Johnny's & Killer Po-Boys, Muffalatta at Central Grocery.....that's a start :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm 
Tourist

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:23 pm 
Tourist

Princess, you are reading my mind (although I like the muffuletta at NapoleonHouse). You just named most of my favorite bars. A few of my favorite places

Felix's for Oysters
Cochon for dinner
Cochon Butcher for lunch
Commander's Palace for brunch ( check the dress code)
Frosted bourbon punch at Bourbon House is a great breakfast to go (yes, bourbon punch for breakfast)
Beignets from Cafe du Monde
Breakfast at Red uncomfortable silence

Mardi Gras Float Museum is cool
Ride the green trolley
Preservation Hall (bring your own booze and spring for the good seats)

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:25 pm 
Tourist

Wow. " Red uncomfortable silence"was translated into "Red uncomfortable silence"
Which May also be a bar in NOLA, but I wouldn't go there without a safe word, if said bar exists :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm 
Tourist

Meh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm 
Hoa Aga

Personal Statement: 4LokoCocoLocoMocoSoco!
The word filter strikes again.

That happened to me in one of my very first posts to the FOM and just confused the hell right out of me!!

(happy anniversary to me, btw because I joined these boards 11 years ago TODAY!)

g-r-a-v-y = uncomfortable silence. Damned if I know what the original joke was that spawned it!

Good Times!

"I want to go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird is all I've got. That and my sweet style.”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 am 
Avai Pukao

Personal Statement: pants off bottoms up
I'll second everything already recommended. We always spend most of our time on Frenchmen St. in the Marigny just outside of the French Quarter. It's slightly less touristy than the quarter and a great stretch of bars/restaurants with plenty of live music. On our last trip we had a great brunch with interesting cocktails at Red Dog Diner in the garden district. There are several Mardi Gras museums, so I'm not sure which one snarlybeast is recommending, but I always recommend going to Mardi Gras World in Algeirs just across the river. It's been a few years since I did that one, but when I did, it was just a free or cheap ferry across the river and then there was a shuttle that picked us up and took us to a warehouse where we watched a short video on Mardi Gras history then toured the warehouse with floats in various stages of prep. Also on the museum front we enjoyed the pharmacy museum in the quarter, and the Mardi Gras Indian museum just outside the quarter. If you go to Arnaud's or the French 75 Bar, head upstairs to their free mardi gras museum. It's a fun little self-guided look at some fantastic costumes from Mardi Gras past.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am 
Tourist

Yep, it’s Mardi Gras World. Amazing place- they even make those Chik Fil A cows you see on billboards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am 
Tetu Avahata

Personal Statement: I choose booze.
Here is a list I prepared for someone else - I did not weed out anything already recommended but hopefully you have fun!

- Frozen Irish coffee at Erin Rose – good for late night or if it is really hot out (or both)
- Chicory coffee and beignets at Café du Monde – for breakfast is best
- Tiki drinks at Latitude 29 – ask for the owners Beachbum Berry or his wife Annene and say hi from us
- Have dinner at Arnaud’s one night. Before dinner have a French 75 cocktail at the attached bar (called the French 75 bar), while you are having your drink, go upstairs to visit the sad & weird mardi gras museum. Definitely get the Café Brulot with dessert (there’s a lot of coffee on this list!)
- Visit the Hermes bar at Antione’s and have a waiter give you a tour of the private dining rooms (ask the bartender to arrange)
- Brunch at Brennan’s – definitely get the bananas foster – they claim they invented it. Also have a brandy milk punch
- If you can swing it, the World War II museum is pretty awesome
- Have a Pimm’s Cup at the Napoleon House
- Have a grasshopper at Tujaque's
- Have lunch or dinner at Cane & Table – great food and excellent drinks
- Have a muffuletta sandwich at Central Grocery
- Check out a voodoo shop and pick up some souvenirs. We like Voodoo Authentica
- Dinner at Cochon
- Lunch or dinner at Herbsaint – a good place but outside the French Quarter. Probably not worth it unless you are doing something else in this area.
- Brunch at Commander’s Palace – kind of far away, you will probably hear people talk about this place like it is the best - we think it is good but over rated
- Fried chicken at Willie Mae’s – a bit out of the way, probably not worth in unless you really like fried chicken
- Have a drink at Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop Bar – just a dive bar, but it is a really really old building. Don’t make a special trip but go if you are nearby.
- New Orleans graveyard tours – we have not done one but I hear they are pretty good and can be creepy at night
- You can spend a night walking down Frenchmen Street – lots of bars, restaurants, shops and music venues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm 
Tourist

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I've created an interactive map that anyone can view or edit for people who might be travelling in the future. Feel free to use it and add other great spots.

It's organized in layers, so try to keep everything in the right spot by selecting the correct layer before clicking add to map.

Changing the icons also helps, and you can do that by clicking the style bucket on the bottom of the location description.

You can change the description and add information with the edit (pencil) icon. CTRL-Enter adds new lines in the description.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T9z81TcrP9vtIyDJ3KpUTSvxwytvF-cW&usp=sharing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: The goggles do nothing!
I was going to post a few things, but leisure master already posted just about everything I can think of. The only places I might add are:

Compere Lapin: great food and drinks just outside of the French Quarter
Tiki Tolteca: an okay 2nd floor Tiki bar around the corner from Lattitude 29.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 pm 
Tourist

Lattitude 29 is a must.

I love Tiki Tolteca.

If you go to Tujaque's, ask Paul Gustings to make you a "Her Kiss".

If he asks, tell him TheTikiTexan sent ya.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 am 
Fellow Moai

Latitude 29 is my favorite. If you're lucky you can meet the the Beachbum. If you go to Tiki Tolteca (which is close to latitude 29) try the Huevo. Make sure you eat the flower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:59 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Drink, Drank, Drunk
my favorite bar this is the Black Abbey...awesome cheap jukebox and affordably but tasty drinks.

Dive bar..my favorite!

It used to be way MORE awesome when it had this HUGE looming grim reaper that lurked over the corner of the place but it has been a bit homogenized since its blacker abbey days. But I still love it for the late night hang with locals.

Also Jacques Imos has AMAZING food! OMG the blackened snapper was the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!! and I wasn't even DRUNK!

But just wander...wander into anything and everything. No way you can go and NOT have a great time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:57 pm 
Tourist

We're staying near this place and it's great. https://www.neworleans.strochmarket.com/

My wife found a great little bnb.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21764599?eluid=0&euid=df482731-1ecf-d7da-c3e2-fe7bdc962fb9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 am 
Initiate Moai Ra'e

Willie Mae's fried chicken is truly sublime.

But this brings me back to a story from about 10 years ago...

Carol and I decided to pay Willie Mae’s a visit, walking through the Vieux Carre, past the closed Louis Armstrong Park, under I-10 with it’s many homeless people, and northward.

As we’re doing this, we’re obviously standing out as tourists (the camera, if nothing else, is a dead giveaway), and a large sedan pulls up to us. The owner of the sedan, a guy named Melvin, asked what we were doing in that part of town, and if we were trying to get mugged. When mentioning Willie Mae’s Chicken, he said “Hey, I’ve always wanted to try them, and he gave us a ride over”.

Willie Mae’s isn’t exactly the most photogenic place in NOLA, located in a part of town that experienced severe Katrina flooding, and with several of the local buildings being demolished. However, due in no small part to the efforts of many locals, Willie Mae’s reopened in 2007.

We grabbed a table in the corner along with Melvin, who turns out to be the owner of one of the local bars (Melvin’s, 2112 St Claude). He was a splendid table companion, telling us many other local places we should try (Betsy’s Pancake House, Two Sisters, …).

The food itself was every bit as good as I remembered. The cornbread was perfectly done, with a firm texture that was neither crumbly nor spongy, the red beans and rice perfectly smooth and smoky without falling apart, and the chicken was perfectly moist, with a light breading that simply melted in your mouth. One of the finest chicken dinners I’ve ever had.

We also got to meet some of the regulars, including local musician Kermit Ruffins (who is a friend of Melvins), and were invited to Kermit’s show that night.

Afterwards, Melvin was kind enough to give us a driving tour of the the 7th Ward, showing us all sorts of cool houses and obscure sites (such as the site of the original Ruth’s Chris Steak House), and then dropped us back off at our hotel.

For years I'd send people off to pay back Melvin by buying a drink at his bar (and several of my friends met him this way), but, alas, Melvin died a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Drink, Drank, Drunk
what a great story!
Thank you for sharing that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 pm 
Tourist

I may be commenting too late, but without exception Princess Pupule's recommendations are excellent ... I might skip the grasshopper for it sweetness, but this is purely personal.

Latitude 29 ... prepare to do damage.
Sazerac bar at The Roosevelt Hotel
Vieux Carre at The Carrousel Bar at the Monteleone
Grasshopper ... Tujague's, in its non-ice cream form.
Absinthe Frappe at The Old Absinthe House (can be a rough night)
French 75 at Arnaud's
Possibly mix in some music at numerous venues - Snug Harbor (French Quarter) or Tipitina's (Uptown)
Jacques-Imo's Cafe in Uptown-Carrollton for a funky, informal food - very tasty.

Enjoy,
Suzie Wong

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 pm 
Honui Moai

Chrisw wrote:
I've created an interactive map that anyone can view or edit for people who might be travelling in the future.

Hey- thanks for posting the map! I was down in NOLA the weekend before last and used it to get myself oriented (hadn't been down for 10 years). Ultimately met up with some friends who lived in the area, so we were running all over the place. We did go to some places that I wouldn't return to (none of which are listed in this thread), but hit some cool spots:

- Started things off at Latitude 29 and launched from there
- Fortuitously stumbled into a Lara Hope & The Arktones (Ohana 2017) show on Frenchmen St.
- Great brunch at Elizabeth's in the Bywater area
- Hung out at Euclid Records in the Bywater
- Bottles of wine and live music at Bachinal in the Bywater (bonus that "Nitro" by Dick Dale was blasting in the wine sales area when there)
- Dinner at Cochon
- Galleries on Royal St.
- Black Penny (quasi-dive bar favored by the local guy I was with)
- Rusty Nail (cool patio...boiled crawfish during the day)

I am sure there are more buried in the recesses of my memory. Definitely would have loved to stay and hit more spots... next time-

Red Hot Surf, Garage & Psychobilly!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am 
Tourist

Glad you found it useful!