The Islands of the Fraternal Order of Moai

"That's a first, having to take down the bamboo wind chime before a conference call."

Homepage Homepage    Leadership Leadership    Foundation Foundation    Local Chapters Local Chapters  News News    Events Events   

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gerry Anderson 83
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm 
Matato'a

Personal Statement: WTFIBB
The man who entertained me for many, many, many hours, passed today. I salute you.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec ... erson-dies

A toast to Roger

Post subject: Re: Gerry Anderson 83
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm 
Lunamaka'ainana Kere

Personal Statement: I miss you Roger Danger
I was just going to post this very same thing. As creepy as I thought the marionettes were, it was like a train wreck, I always had to watch the show.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Red Palms

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:50 pm 
Nounou Moai

I had just been watching Thunderbirds on Crackle recently. Gerry Anderson's shows were among my all time favorites; Thunderbirds, UFO, Space 1999. A big part of my childhood. I bought the whole UFO series on dvd a few years ago.
Rest in peace Gerry.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:26 pm 
Honui Moai

Personal Statement: Live Life!
I vividly remember the Thunderbirds. I did not know he also did Space 1999, remember that one too. Quite a few of his series are available on Netflix

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
Nounou Moai

Personal Statement: Booze is the only answer!
SpaceBoy64 wrote:
I had just been watching Thunderbirds on Crackle recently. Gerry Anderson's shows were among my all time favorites; Thunderbirds, UFO, Space 1999. A big part of my childhood. I bought the whole UFO series on dvd a few years ago.
Rest in peace Gerry.

:thumbsup:

In recent years, I've gotten into a ritual of spending my birthday morning with rum and supermarionation. I've been a Fanderson subscriber for a while.

Really sorry to hear this. Anderson was so prolific, I thought the new shows would never stop coming.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 am 
Nounou Moai

I'm going to watch Stingray tonight. I found some episodes on YouTube. I have never seen that show, or Joe 90.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 am 
Nounou Moai

This show is even better than Thunderbirds in my opinion. Much more exciting and funny.

Teufel, the fish god, is hilarious!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/anderson/stin ... ndex.shtml

Quote:

Stingray
An Introduction to Stingray

The year is 2065, and the world is united in peace. Mankind has conquered the stars, so attention turns to the exploration of the oceans. The vast, uncharted depths provide valuable minerals, but also hide new and mysterious alien races, not all of whom are entirely friendly.

The Aquaphibians take offence to the surface dweller's forays into their undersea kingdom. Titan, their ruler, swears to invade the surface world in revenge. All that can stop him is the World Aquanaut Security Patrol - WASP.

WASP is an organisation of fearless individuals dedicated to preserving world peace. Their key weapon in the fight against the Aquaphibians is Stingray, a futuristic, nuclear-powered submarine. Troy Tempest is its heroic captain, ably supported by his team at Marineville headquaters:

George Lee Sheridan: nicknamed 'Phones' due to his expertise with the underwater Hydrophone communication system.
Marina: A mute, tail-less mermaid. She was enslaved by Titan, who has threatened to destroy her people if she ever speaks.

Atlanta Shore: Marineville's assistant communications officer. She supervises the launch of Stingray. She loves Troy from afar, so has a friendly rivalry with Marina.

Commander Sam Shore: The head of WASP, he was once involved in a submarine acccident. He uses a special hoverchair to get around Marineville due to his injuries. He is Atlanta's father.

Stingray was created by the renowned Gerry Anderson, who went on to create Thunderbirds. Originally shown in 1964, it was the first British television series to be filmed in colour. It was first transmitted in black and white, as colour TV didn't start until 1967 in Britain!

ImageImage